Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:22 PM

13,736 posts, read 15,804,903 times

Advertisements

There has been talk of the urbanization and gentrification of Gaithersburg MD. What does the announcement of Ruth Chris Steak House signing in Gaithersburg mean for the city?

Ruth's Chris Steak House headed for Gaithersburg - Washington Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 PM

34,130 posts, read 83,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What does the announcement of Ruth Chris Steak House signing in Gaithersburg mean for the city?
High cholesterol and BP at a higher cost than in the past?

Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,953,551 times
That an overrated chain restaurant is coming. I don't think it is the start of some drastic change or improvement. They are in Embassy Suites hotels now, so they can't be all that special anymore.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
That an overrated chain restaurant is coming. I don't think it is the start of some drastic change or improvement. They are in Embassy Suites hotels now, so they can't be all that special anymore.

If you look at their location's, they only locate in very rich area's. Don't you think that is saying something about the perception of the area?

Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 PM

692 posts, read 1,006,226 times
It is better than another Taco Bell or take out joint. Not that I don't love a good plate of lo mein, but it gives residents who have the cash and are willing to spend it a local option for a fancier meal rather than go down to Bethesda or D.C. or up to old Frederick.

Quote:
Don't you think that is saying something about the perception of the area?
With all the new construction it seems like developers are hoping Gburg can carve out a more upscale identity. Problem is the place is huge and has everything from Section 8 to people packed 15 to a sfh to millionaires (not many, but they are there). New residential construction in Old Town and other areas seem to be aimed at attracting a more moneyed clientele, but in order to do that there has to be something for them. Ruth's Chris is a start. Time will tell if it lasts.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
It is better than another Taco Bell or take out joint. Not that I don't love a good plate of lo mein, but it gives residents who have the cash and are willing to spend it a local option for a fancier meal rather than go down to Bethesda or D.C. or up to old Frederick.

With all the new construction it seems like developers are hoping Gburg can carve out a more upscale identity. Problem is the place is huge and has everything from Section 8 to people packed 15 to a sfh to millionaires (not many, but they are there). New residential construction in Old Town and other areas seem to be aimed at attracting a more moneyed clientele, but in order to do that there has to be something for them. Ruth's Chris is a start. Time will tell if it lasts.

I don't know, I think you might see a pretty nice culinary destination in the western portion of Gaithersburg as all these developments (Downtown Crown, Science City, Downtown Kentlands, Watkins Mill Town Center ) get leased out over the next decade.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:45 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,407,882 times
Quote:
There has been talk of the urbanization and gentrification of Gaithersburg MD. What does the announcement of Ruth Chris Steak House signing in Gaithersburg mean for the city?

They have one in Reston and should open one in Largo.......

Old 06-25-2013, 06:46 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,448,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
High cholesterol and BP at a higher cost than in the past?
Lol you ain't right.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:53 AM

7,084 posts, read 9,592,348 times
Quote:

I'm not sure that Ruth's Chris alone can do much for Gaithersburg. I always thought Gaithersburg was mostly affluent anyway. They have a good number of upscale restaurants already. It's almost expected I guess. Not much shock value as say a Ruth's Chris in PG other than National Harbor.

Personally, Ruth's Chris is OK. It wouldn't be at the top of my list to get me excited. Prime Rib, Capital Grille, or something like Vito's Chophouse in Orlando. Best ribeye I ever had was at Opus 9 in Williamsburg, VA. I have yet to taste a steak as good as the one I had there.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:27 AM

544 posts, read 1,048,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I always thought Gaithersburg was mostly affluent anyway.
It is; in any other metro area it would be considered an upper-middle class suburb. In DC, it gets compared to Bethesda so I guess people consider it lower class? The median income here is $90k and the population is pretty evenly split among whites, blacks, hispanics and asians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland