Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 04:24 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
What is your point here? You're not even addressing anything the prior poster said. Your original statement was that immigrants don't need to assimilate like they did before. I've never seen nor heard of any immigrants just refusing to assimilate. I don't even understand what you meant by that statement, what did you mean by it? I would posit that no one has a choice in the matter- you must adapt in some form or another, and you cannot truly isolate yourself in order to survive in the U.S. The poor OP was just asking some question about some ethnic groups out of curiosity.
I was pretty curious about that statement myself for a while as well. Hmm....

Yeah and too bad about the OP, I hate when simple threads like this one end up like this. Can't even give a person an honest answer without going all in circles trying to be butt-hurt and up in arms and trying to put stuff in other people's mouths, just sick and disgusted of this damn crap man Smdh My bad, just getting a little angry here. Sorry for this ongoing circus that pretty much comes with the City-Data territory OP Just trust me when I say that regardless of tribal origin, the entire DC area has a lot of truly beautiful Nigerian girls and African girls in general You won't be disappointed! Good luck on your search for community and romance Gotta love melting pot America. As long as people don't discriminate when it comes to hanging around with, being friends with, and/or dating people of differing racial/ethnic/tribal/religious/spiritual/economic backgrounds, they are perfectly cool in my book. Diversity truly is a wonderful thing when one embraces it with an open mind! Call me idealistic, I don't really care. But then again, us Americans in general are a very idealistic bunch anyways! lol

Last edited by tcave360; 06-03-2013 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 05:14 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times
Does anyone else care to hurl insults?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
No, for real now. There are no such things as "anchor babies." A citizen cannot sponsor his or her family members for immigration until they are 21. Parents can only attempt to get relief from deportation after 10 years. How fiendish! I can see evil immigrant pregnant women plotting as I type this! Google is your friend. When a citizen tries to sponsor a relative for immigration, I can tell you from personal experience that it can take decades, or just never happen. I think that may be a development that has happened in the last 20 years or so, maybe someone else knows better. And for someone who luuuuurrrvvvess the Constitution so much, you seem to really dislike the Fourteenth Amendment. Yes dear, the Constitution includes the parts you don't like.
From the writings of middle school students in Texas, many who are children of legal immigrants.

These parents come to this country illegally because they know, if their child is born here, they will be allowed to stay to take care of the child.

Yes, the 14A does grant citizenship to any born here but lots of people have a kid, and at times, many more, here so they can stay in the country to raise it. Sponsoring someone for citizenship is different in your scenario, citizenship should not necessarily apply to the parents of of said child as they are still illegals. It surely wouldn't apply to an American trying to do so in a country like Mexico. They would throw you out as quickly as possible.
I am more than glad to know you realize there are people who plan this out - they are criminals who want what you and I have and want our government to give it to them for the sake of having a child while here illegally. Worse crimes are planned every day.

You have no idea of the parts I don't like but I respect and live by it. I also understand more of it than most people I know. I don't understand why as there is nothing hard about it.
I have a hard copy I keep here at my desk and read/refer to it often.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
But then again, us Americans in general are a very idealistic bunch anyways! lol
That's what makes us cool.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:19 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
America developed not because of diversity, the greatest economic expansion in this country occurred during the lowest period if immigration ever in this country
Interesting fact (if it's true, let's see some sources). But correlation != causation. When it comes to economics, there are an uncountable number of variables involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
, but because it was developed and maintained by an Anglo mercentile culture that stressed work, sobriety and innovation.
Entirely subjective.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:46 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Does anyone else care to hurl insults?

From the writings of middle school students in Texas, many who are children of legal immigrants.

These parents come to this country illegally because they know, if their child is born here, they will be allowed to stay to take care of the child.

Yes, the 14A does grant citizenship to any born here but lots of people have a kid, and at times, many more, here so they can stay in the country to raise it. Sponsoring someone for citizenship is different in your scenario, citizenship should not necessarily apply to the parents of of said child as they are still illegals. It surely wouldn't apply to an American trying to do so in a country like Mexico. They would throw you out as quickly as possible.
I am more than glad to know you realize there are people who plan this out - they are criminals who want what you and I have and want our government to give it to them for the sake of having a child while here illegally. Worse crimes are planned every day.

You have no idea of the parts I don't like but I respect and live by it. I also understand more of it than most people I know. I don't understand why as there is nothing hard about it.
I have a hard copy I keep here at my desk and read/refer to it often.
Ok, say it with me now: there's no such thing as anchor babies! Having a baby in the U.S. gives you no special immigration rights for at least 10 years. That's the very definition of "anchor baby" (the baby is an ANCHOR, get it?!?!). Nothing you say above contradicts that. You must have written the above in a rush or something because you don't make much sense. And your sources are the writings of middle school students in Texas? Huh? Are you punking us? Is this stuff you write all fake? I think this weird tangential conversation is off topic and should be over now.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:50 PM

Are there flies in here?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:22 PM

44 posts, read 90,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Are there flies in here?
What do you mean by flies?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayo_olu View Post
They are annoying and bite incessantly.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:08 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayo_olu View Post
I'm glad you brought this up. I just thought he had smoked one too many of his happy cigarettes.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:20 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Interesting fact (if it's true, let's see some sources). But correlation != causation. When it comes to economics, there are an uncountable number of variables involved.

Entirely subjective.
Very true other variables were at play but claiming that diversity is our strength is equally subjective. As far as my sources read up on the Immigration Act of 1924 and overlay the economic performance if Anerica from 25-65 when the law was changed.

There is nothing subjective about Anglos founding this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland