Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2006, 06:09 PM

61 posts, read 137,447 times

Advertisements

As stated previously, my wife and I are contemplating retirement from N.Y. to possibly Williamsburg. We like all the things we've heard on this forum about the place, except for the fact that it's "expensive."

Could someone tell us what they consider "expensive?" "Expensive" by Williamsburg standards nay not be "expensive" by N.Y. standards. Many thanks.

denny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2006, 08:06 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,408,980 times
It is not expensive at all by New York standards. It's not even expensive by Northern Virginia (where I live) standards. You can find plenty of four bedroom, three bathroom, 2200 square foot homes (although I'm assuming if you're retiring, you won't need this much space) in terrific neighborhoods for under 400K whereas I know a similar home would cost upwards of 600K here in the DC area. It's pricey compared to the rest of the Hampton Roads region, but when you're coming from most other coastal metro areas, it's a steal.

Old 08-13-2006, 02:16 AM

61 posts, read 94,747 times
I lived in Williamsburg for about 10 years until recently and will be moving back in a few weeks. For a starter home in a moderately priced area, a 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath 1200 square feet might be $150-$200. A step up in a bedroom or bathroom or a pool or extra land will raise it $25-$45. In a middle-upper class neighborhoods, a 2200-2600 home, 4 bed/2.5 baths with some other amenities like basements/hot and gazebo will run you $260-$315. More expensive neighborhoods feature larger homes will start you $375 up to a million. When my family sold our home 4 years ago, it was in a desireable neighborhood, 4 bedroom/2.5 bath with 2 stair cases, LR/FR/DR/KIT, 2 car garage, sun room, deck and gazeebo with hot tub, nicely landscaped yard and about 2400 square feet for about $275. Unfortunately my parents accepted first offer and could have fetched $300 b/c so many people want to move into that neighborhood.

It's expensive for small city/town. It's not expensive compared to larger cities. But based on the fact that it doesn't have big city jobs, big city shopping, etc, it's more expensive than most cities/towns of its size. Homes cost about 15-25% less in Roanoke.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:49 PM

15 posts, read 82,147 times
Default re: Williamsburg

Just curious, what is the name of this desirable neighborhood you referred to??

Old 08-15-2006, 09:33 PM

61 posts, read 94,747 times
Windsor Forest. It's a not huge and has limited space and lots of people jump on homes the second they come available. I am moving back there and was therer this weekend, and saw a home there for sale smaller than our was, older, not as nice looking, for just under $400K. There are a lot of similar neighboorhoods, and a small handfull of neighborhoods with the much bigger/higher priced homes. The larger/more expensive n'hoods are ford's colony, kingsmill, governor's land, and some others. Gated, security cars drive around, have to have your cars stickered. There's been an increase in townhomes and condos, but no clue what they run if you're interested in that. Personally I like to have a stereo loud and home theater so it wouldn't work for me.

Makes me wish we could buy a home here in Roanoke before we move and just carry it with us.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:56 PM

291 posts, read 1,362,836 times
Smile Nice area...

But many free social services clinics are across the stree, as are some low income housing developments too...and its on the busline...nice now but who knows what it will be like 10 years from now and the payment on those homes, has be incredible!

But hey I would live there, if I could afford 400 grand or most likely more by now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia