Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 06:53 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,932,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I thought I did. So I got it on the PS3 when it became available to download. I played maybe 30 min and never went back. While people may argue graphics do not matter, but they do matter. The controls also caused me to tire of it quickly.
Really, the controls were pretty straight-forward. There wasn't any portion of the game that required finger dexterity to succeed - just press O (or X, in my case after I re-mapped the buttons) a few times and the d-pad.

Graphics? Pre-rendered backgrounds definitely aged better than any true 3D attempts from the 32/64 bit era, though the overworld backdrop and in game models were polygonal, I'll give you that. I call the dated graphics point a wash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 02:53 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,973,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
Really, the controls were pretty straight-forward. There wasn't any portion of the game that required finger dexterity to succeed - just press O (or X, in my case after I re-mapped the buttons) a few times and the d-pad.

Graphics? Pre-rendered backgrounds definitely aged better than any true 3D attempts from the 32/64 bit era, though the overworld backdrop and in game models were polygonal, I'll give you that. I call the dated graphics point a wash.
I still love the graphics during the battle, especially the summon animations. Those never get old. Funny thing is, FF7 has some of the best PSX graphics of all time, only top by its successors and very few other titles that came out later.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:26 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,178,052 times
Count me in, FF7 was a great game. Lots of good memories playing for hours and hours.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:50 PM

410 posts, read 517,851 times
i was so in love with that game. i think i never left that one spot in the living room for one month! midgar. weapon was so hard to defeat and i'm still wondering if it was possible? the graphic were unreal at the time.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:36 PM

15,953 posts, read 12,417,242 times
I've been playing this for the first time in probably 8-10 years using Tifa's bootleg along with a downloaded version of the original PC game (I still own the playstation copy I bought back in what... sometime in the 1990's) .. it's the ONLY game from that era along with Final Fantasy VIII that I didn't throw away after all these years.

I expected to have crashes but the bootleg has been remarkably stable and the enhanced graphics and music very nice. I'm just reaching the point in the Gold Saucer where the "date" occurs, after just having completed Yuffie's trials and the Wutai questline where all the materia is stolen by yuffie.

My main characters in this run are Yuffie, Cloud, Barret. Good memories.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12503.0

downloaded torrent. downloaded main game, followed instructions.

Last edited by sholomar; 08-17-2013 at 03:44 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 03:48 PM

15,953 posts, read 12,417,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Xenogears has the most amazing plot to any video game I can think of. The story just blows my mind to this day!

It's hard for me to as an adult go back and play RPGs I never stumbled across when younger, since much of it is nostalga. I did manage to do just that with a game called "suikoden 2" and I must say that game's storyline and gameplay mechanics of building a castle and populating it and building an empire... I wish I had discovered it when younger. One of my favorites.

I don't enjoy grinding needlessly for hours on end though.. so I will admit that if it wasn't for that one 'wall' you can push to access high level monsters to level up early in the game, I would not have enjoyed Suikoden 2 nearly as much... it allows me to enjoy the story, to hunt for all those characters, and not waste time grinding or worry about difficult enemy encounters. I play games for the story, not as much the challenge.

Some of my favorites from my teen years... Final Fantasy VI, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Evermore, Final Fantasy IV. Had to download some torrents of these games and mix them up to relive the 'nostalga' .. I especially love Final Fantasy IV's and Secret of Mana's soundtracks more for some reason.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:53 AM

88 posts, read 236,215 times
My fondest FFVII memory is only having enough money for either the game and the strategy guide (with all of the awesome artwork!) or the game and a memory card. Strangely I went with the game and the strategy guide and would get as far as the second disc before having to restart everything a few days later.

It was an incredible experience for it's time, setting the standard for video game presentation in that era. I personally still don't understand the story beyond Cloud's stint in SOLDIER, and never understood everyone's attachment to Aerith. In hindsight, I believe the pre-rendered backgrounds were nice but the character models are absolutely atrocious. The FMV is comically bad and the translation/text is just horrid. The materia system and battle graphics still hold up pretty well although I don't see how I used to grind for hours upon hours on end when I was young. I think we're all dying for a modern day remake with today's near photorealistic graphics although nothing will ever replicate first experiencing this back in 1997.

I'm a bit of an oddball, FFVIII is actually my favorite FF of all time. I feel it outclasses VII in every way possible yet goes unrecognized in the gaming community.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:06 AM

3,594 posts, read 3,787,159 times
I still remember having to wait a week to play this game because I needed to get a memory card. I still have the image of the game with my receipt on top of it burned into my brain. This game was great. The only two things I didn't like were the block-rendering of the characters and the Dark World music. There was just nothing to world map music of the second part of the game. The rest of the game is classic. I enjoyed the skiiing mini game in the Gold Saucer. It also had a great battle/materia system, the Summons, and great music.

Last edited by Free-R; 08-23-2013 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: wr

Old 08-31-2013, 11:33 AM

371 posts, read 897,940 times
In 2000, I found FF7, 8 and 9 in the bargain bin at Kmart for $9.99 each. (and the first 2 Oddworld games, too) Since I was 36 at the time, I don't have the played-it-as-a-kid nostalgia that some of you do. However, FF7 started a love affair for me with that series that still hasn't died.
For me the graphics don't matter, I love those games and still play them every couple of years.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:26 AM

13 posts, read 15,353 times
Anyone remember the first time they got hit with this:

Final Fantasy VII - #61 - Sephiroth's Super Nova - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games