Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:17 PM

195 posts, read 186,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbbphh View Post
FONV is basically the same game as FO3 - I don't think anyone would argue with that.
Actually I would as the comment ignores alterations to how skills work, how skills are used, sweeping changes to the repair and crafting systems, a total retooling of the perk system, addition of a separate challenge system, overhauls to combat ranging from retooling of skills to alteration of how damage is applied and how firearm spread works, alterations to equipment affecting how effective the function is depending on skill level and limiting use via stat requirement, the inclusion of both trait and reputation systems from earlier fallout games, and direct reference and linkage to earlier fallout games that was not present in Fallout 3

Likewise how skill usage is handled in Fallout 3 and the mechanics used in the combat system are rather drastically different from Oblivion (making the further shift present in Fallout New Vegas cause even more drastic deviation). So as I said before you appear to be sighting very general usage that can pretty much all be traced to the Havoc Engine and then making broad generalizations to claim the games are the same... which ignores all the alterations in back end mathematics, actual engine usage, and differing features between the games.

They may seem similar at a casual glance, but any sort of more in depth look at individual features and how things work in the games themselves shows some pretty distinct differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 03:54 PM

192 posts, read 438,137 times
Eh - despite the "drastic" changes you mention, it still seems like essentially the same game to me, with some minor tweaks. Maybe I haven't played FO3 recently enough to appreciate the differences.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:12 PM

195 posts, read 186,905 times
Quote:
Eh - despite the "drastic" changes you mention, it still seems like essentially the same game to me, with some minor tweaks. Maybe I haven't played FO3 recently enough to appreciate the differences.
Also worth mentioning... your comment about 1-100 skills in the case of Fallout is not actually accurate... the Havoc engine only displays up to 100, but Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas both allow for calculation well past that point. In fact via the use of manuals, bobbleheads, and skill usage... you can actually raise unarmed close to 200 in Fallout 3, and via a re-spawning raider can easily do the same for Big Guns.

As I said twice now, a cursory glance may make them "seem" similar... but a closer look shows a great many differences.

Same can be said if Morrowind and Oblivion... in fact as I mentioned Bethesda made a huge deal prior to Oblivion's release about the changes and alterations to combat mechanics and how skills affected it.

It is easy to claim they look or seem similar.... but when you start trying to prove the point via how things are implemented and actual in game mechanics it is far more difficult to maintain that point.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:13 PM

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I, for one, will be pretty disappointed if the differences between ES V and Oblivion are on a similar scale to those between FO3 and FONV.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:15 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,707,435 times
I was referring less to the combat mechanics and more to the "style" of the world. The interiors and landscapes between the games are virtually identical, IMHO.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:07 PM

187 posts, read 543,451 times
Oblivion was really nice, although you can't lie, aside from graphics it was a bit of a downgrade from Morrowind. Fallout 3 was also nice but New Vegas really destroyed that series. Let's hope Skyrim brings back the fun of playing RPGs

Old 01-10-2011, 05:41 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,763,104 times
I also cannot agree these games were the same. Sure, they had many similarities, but there were at least as many if not more differences.
I'm a huge fan of all Fallout Games, I also quite enjoyed Oblivion and Morrowind (and to some extent Dagerfall ) so I too am looking forward to this.
I hope they'll give the character a personality, as the "Select the topic and the npc will tell you what he knows" dialog system wasn't good. I also hope they will work on the code a bit so I won't have to buy a new PC just to run it
Yac.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:21 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,212,231 times
Quote:
I'm hoping ES V is not Oblivion part 2
I'm hoping that Skyrim is "Oblivion Part 2" as far as storyline... considering that it should stay within the same basic realm and timeline.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I'm hoping that Skyrim is "Oblivion Part 2" as far as storyline... considering that it should stay within the same basic realm and timeline.
Agree - I wasn't talking about the storyline

Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 AM

713 posts, read 3,444,435 times
From what I can gather, ES V will take place 200 years after the events of Oblivion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games