Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 07:57 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
Be aware that if you work as a public school teacher in Maine, you will not receive social security benefits, or they will be radically cut because of WEP.

It would also make you unable to take your husband's social security when he retires--so a stay at home mom who does not work outside of the home can collect half of his benefit when he retires and she is of age, but the mom who has worked as a teacher cannot collect his benefit.

It's a nightmare, so check it out when thinking of where you want to teach.
How can a state deny a person that has to pay into social security their benefits when they retire? Social Security is run by the federal gov't and every taxpayer pays into the program. It is our money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 04:30 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
How can a state deny a person that has to pay into social security their benefits when they retire? Social Security is run by the federal gov't and every taxpayer pays into the program. It is our money.
Public sector employees in a number of states opt out of the Social Security system and are in a state/local pension system instead. Social Security law has an anti-double dip provision to account for this. The states are Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, Ohio, and Texas. Some local governments in other states also opt out. Those are Georgia, Kentucky, and Rhode Island. Just CALPERS in California is 1.9 million state and local workers.

There are plenty of workers in the United States who don’t pay any Social Security payroll taxes. They pay into a far more generous program. The down side is that you’re pretty much locked into that career for life. If you split your career evenly between one of those opt out public sector jobs and a Social Security job, you probably won’t have much of an income stream as a retiree.

Last edited by vter; 07-05-2020 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: deleted 2 sentences that were unnecessary

Old 07-03-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite2015 View Post
Hello,

I lived in Vermont for about 6 years (and visit there regularly), Massachusetts for about 10, and Maine, where I presently reside for the past 20 yrs.

Property taxes in both Vermont and more Republican NH are both equally high, so go figure. Both states' property taxes are unfortunately out of control. For example, for an ordinary 3 bedroom 2 bath house in southern Maine (such as Saco/Biddeford where I live), your taxes will run you around $3k a year. This is with 1/3 of an acre. Almost anywhere in Vt or NH, the exact same house will run you $6 - $7k in property taxes. We're talking DOUBLE the taxes you would pay in either Maine or Massachusetts, for the exact same property.

You did not mention politics, but Vermont's can tend to be more liberal, though it varies, which contrary to the liberal bashing in this thread, I can tell you is part of why Vermont is such a wonderful state Being from Alabama, if you are a hardcore Trump voter and/or more conservative, you may not find as many like yourselves as you presumably do in Alabama.

Hence if I were you, I would go with Maine. Portland is liberal, as is Burlington Vermont, and most larger towns in New England (Portsmouth, NH, etc), but if politics isn't a giant concern you will be just fine. New England folks are respectful of differences and mind their own business for the most part. Plus Portland is a wonderful city, is only 45 minutes from Portsmouth, and 2 hours from Boston + there is all that coastline. And again, the taxes vs NH and VT are much cheaper. Win-win. Best of luck to you in your search.

Vermont is NOT a "wonderful" state because of liberals. Vermont's beauty is holding on by a thread because of the "wonderful" farmers that are struggling every day to keep Vermont rural. Unfortunately, the Progressive/Liberal Legislature is making it extremely hard due to the high taxes and lack of help, when needed, from the Ag Dept.

The Liberals are too busy "beautifying" our street in Montpelier with murals honoring violent organizations. You know, priorities matter to them, not politics.

Old 07-04-2020, 06:46 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Vermont is NOT a "wonderful" state because of liberals. Vermont's beauty is holding on by a thread because of the "wonderful" farmers that are struggling every day to keep Vermont rural. Unfortunately, the Progressive/Liberal Legislature is making it extremely hard due to the high taxes and lack of help, when needed, from the Ag Dept.

The Liberals are too busy "beautifying" our street in Montpelier with murals honoring violent organizations. You know, priorities matter to them, not politics.
You have taxes on agriculture wrong, too. Farm buildings are exempt from Act 68 state school property taxes. Agricultural land is taxed at use value. 2.4 million acres of Vermont’s 5.4 million acres are enrolled in the current use program. You pay $362/acre for agriculture land. $109/acre for forest land more than a mile from a road. $145/acre closer to a road. I can buy 25 acres of forest land in some resort town and pay practically no property taxes on that land.

Last edited by vter; 07-05-2020 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: edited out rude word

Old 07-05-2020, 09:24 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflexion View Post
Bertfrombackeast description seems on the money. I've lived in NH, now Maine and was raised in Mass. We live near Bangor and I'm eager to leave Maine. Unless you've been further north than Kennebunk and Portland, you really can't get a true feel for the state. Inland Maine has Trump signs every where and if you're a Trumper, it may be the place for you. Lots of farms, large and small, but incredible poverty. Doesn't seem possible that people can live in some of places they live in. In NH, taxes are crazy. We lived in Canterbury, just north of Concord (state capitol). Lovely town, educated people who care about their health therefore grow their own food etc. We kept moving further north and finally realized it just wasn't for us due to taxes and increasing population. For what you want, I'd suggest looking at western NH. Bennington has a ski area and that part of NH is rural with the city of Keene. Important to consider your politics regardless of where you consider a move.
It is I'm[portant to consider politics - especially when a person, such as the OP, has very strong views.

Interior Maine doesn't have the charm of New England, but it just may be the best fit for her needs.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You have taxes on agriculture wrong, too. Farm buildings are exempt from Act 68 state school property taxes. Agricultural land is taxed at use value. 2.4 million acres of Vermont’s 5.4 million acres are enrolled in the current use program. You pay $362/acre for agriculture land. $109/acre for forest land more than a mile from a road. $145/acre closer to a road. I can buy 25 acres of forest land in some resort town and pay practically no property taxes on that land.

Please tell me where I stated anything about "taxes on agriculture"? I thought I mentioned that the farmers aren't getting the help they need from the Dept. of Ag. Are you farming? When did I mention anything about farm buildings, how many acres in current use, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. and etc.?

Last edited by vter; 07-05-2020 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: edited out unnecessary sentences.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:31 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,844 times
Quote:
Please tell me where I stated anything about "taxes on agriculture"? I thought I mentioned that the farmers aren't getting the help they need from the Dept. of Ag. Are you farming? When did I mention anything about farm buildings, how many acres in current use, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. and etc.?
I'm not a liberal and yet here I am defending it. You blamed the liberals for the plight of the farmers essentially. I thought VT has a graded tax system. The more ya make the more ya pay. I thought under $60K/year you get a lot of tax discounts. I thought VT was a good place for low income people? Just sayin'

Old 07-10-2020, 07:04 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,626,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilyy172 View Post
Hello all! We are a young couple with 2 kids and one on the way living in rural Alabama. We have some family in New Hampshire and Vermont. We have visited a few times and been to old orchard beach ME. We have fallen in love with New England and are throwing around the idea of moving up there. I am a teacher and my husband works on light signals and does welding. He also has experience in water and sewer and also runs a landscaping business. He is very handy and loves to work. We are comparing these three states trying to find which is the best fit for us and our growing family. We want to live in a rural area, as we have a farm and plan to have a farm up there. We like community and do not want to be in or near a bit city. We would like to be close to a decent town , especially for work. Again, we want a farm so property and property taxes is a big deal for us. Which state do y'all think fits us best? We also love to be outdoors, mountains, and kid friendly things to do. But want to live comfortably and not have to work multiple jobs to survive.
It sounds like Vermont is the place for you. Very rural with tons of farms when you get away from the Burlington metro area. NH is the busiest of the 3. While both ME and NH have farms, I see a ton in Vermont. Plus, I think its the prettiest of the 3 states from what I have seen.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:12 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,666 times
Those complaining about VT property taxes must have a high income for second home owners.

I looked all over new england for a house under $250k with good schools. We narrowed it down to Western, MA (near the 5 colleges), Upper Valley VT (91 between Windsor and Bradford), and mid coast Maine (camden/rockland)

Based on proximity to jobs, taxes, and housing cost the Upper Valley of VT won out. Mid coast main has similar housing costs but no jobs, Western, MA had high property taxes and more expensive housing.

My house in VT's taxes are $6k, BUT if i made $60k it would be $3,500, $40k would be $2,500. Income tax is graduated as well and the starting point is after your deductions and allowances so you can knock alot off of the top.

Take a look at Thetford, Strafford, Sharon, Vershire, Fairlee, and West Fairlee. all good choices though large amounts of land might be tough. Further north there is Bradford, Corinth, Topham but the schools are not as good.

https://tax.vermont.gov/property/tax-credit
https://tax.vermont.gov/sites/tax/fi...ts/GB-1186.pdf

As someone who has high net worth and low spending, VT is pretty great. You can "look poor" by having a lower income/expenses and pay some of the lowest taxes in New England. Heck, your kids would be able to enroll in Dr. Dinosaur (AKA kids medicaid) if you make under $75k a year.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:22 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Those complaining about VT property taxes must have a high income for second home owners.

I looked all over new england for a house under $250k with good schools. We narrowed it down to Western, MA (near the 5 colleges), Upper Valley VT (91 between Windsor and Bradford), and mid coast Maine (camden/rockland)

Based on proximity to jobs, taxes, and housing cost the Upper Valley of VT won out. Mid coast main has similar housing costs but no jobs, Western, MA had high property taxes and more expensive housing.

My house in VT's taxes are $6k, BUT if i made $60k it would be $3,500, $40k would be $2,500. Income tax is graduated as well and the starting point is after your deductions and allowances so you can knock alot off of the top.

Take a look at Thetford, Strafford, Sharon, Vershire, Fairlee, and West Fairlee. all good choices though large amounts of land might be tough. Further north there is Bradford, Corinth, Topham but the schools are not as good.

https://tax.vermont.gov/property/tax-credit
https://tax.vermont.gov/sites/tax/fi...ts/GB-1186.pdf

As someone who has high net worth and low spending, VT is pretty great. You can "look poor" by having a lower income/expenses and pay some of the lowest taxes in New England. Heck, your kids would be able to enroll in Dr. Dinosaur (AKA kids medicaid) if you make under $75k a year.
^^^^^^^ Finally, truth.

However, SS is taxed.

I'm surprised by your findings in western Mass. though. Compared to NY along that border Mass. is less expensive.
VT's terrain is farm friendly for much of the state. NH, is granite, and Maine is a mix. We are looking at possible retirement to Maine or NH(mayyyybe Massachusetts). The math is tricky. NH no income/sales tax, but heavy RE tax, and vehicle taxes. Maine has income tax but can deduct $10,000 from pensions, real estate tax isn't too bad, but not too good either. Mass? No tax on my pension, no SS tax, decent home prices/RE taxes betwenn Worcester and buzzards bay. But the crowds.......
lol, just ran income tax numbers on smartasset VT would be $700 less per year than Maine, interesting.

Last edited by grouse789; 07-10-2020 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont