Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:43 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,949 times

Advertisements

Read in a recent post a statement that the Amtrak Vermonter is not running in December and this sounded strange as if that were the case it would be exceptionally unusual. Checked with Amtrak and the Vermonter still make it's daily seven day a week runs from Wash D.C. to St Albans with numerous stops in Vt between Brattleboro and St Albans and there was no mention or service cuts. Actually, a press release dated 01 Nov advises that this year the Vermonter's ridership is up 16%. Anyway, wanted to check on this as I know a few folks who like to use the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 09:46 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,082,182 times
I don't know about it not running but it was a hell ride when we took it in September from WRJ to NYC...bleh

Old 11-16-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I don't know about it not running but it was a hell ride when we took it in September from WRJ to NYC...bleh
Just curious, was the ride bad because of frequent stops making the trip long or was a problem with the quality of the train itself?

Old 11-18-2007, 03:05 PM

Before we even took the train I heard it was ALWAYS late.
Okay, got on in WRJ (it was probably 20 minutes or so late). I think we were supposed to leave 10:50 or 11 am..
It took nearly 2 hours to go a few towns...
The train itself was okay, except our car's air conditioner died so we eventually moved to a new car.
The dining car is expensive. Bring your own food and a lot of it!!
Anyhow, the train was so, so so slow.
We got into NYC at what...after 8 pm...
Got to Long Island by 10 pm...
Hell ride.
My poor son (9 year old) was so good, despite the fact we hardly ate anything all day it was so tedious.

I think the bus does better time..!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:24 PM

I kind of expected that delays and time consuming stops could make an ordeal out of a train trip. It's too bad since the train could be a better way to travel in that you have more room to just get up an move around compared to the bus. I know I read where the state working with Amtrak wants to improve service with better equipment and maybe eventually additional runs if ridership continues to go up. Maybe in the future with energy prices continuing to spiral we might just actually bring back rail passenger service. I know for many especially in the winter it can be a preferance over driving.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:50 AM

It's too bad it was such a negative experience. I usually like train travel--it was the way that 'built this country' but now everyone wants their own space...cars. Trains don't run (on the whole) efficiently or comfortably enough for people anymore.

It was delayed due to a few things. The staff tried to explain it but I was tired out from moving and wasn't really listening. I think they said local traffic had precedence and they were also doing construction. Going into NYC when we were ready to scream there was still more 'traffic' or something preventing us from getting in until after 8.

It took (I believe) 2 hours to reach Brattleboro from WRJ--by then I figured it would be a h*** ride.
My husband (if I mention the train) just keeps saying, "NEVER AGAIN!!!"

The train goes to Penn by the way which is good if you have to carry on to another major city or Long Island. The bus goes to Port Authority which I am not very familiar with (except for the seedy stories..)

Old 11-19-2007, 09:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,829,670 times
The Vermonter takes way too long to be practical. The Ethan Allan which goes from DC to NYC to Rutland is much faster as it only has a few stops.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:23 PM

914 posts, read 2,921,194 times
Train travel must be the same everywhere! We have a commuter route that is heavily utilized from the Sacramento area to the Bay Area (San Francisco). My daughter went to college in the Bay Area and took it all the time. Likewise, we took it several times for different reasons. Each time there was some problem. One time, we were delayed a long time, as we had to wait for freight trains to pass (they have preference over passenger rail, apparently). Another time, the train was filled with weirdos - I find that this type of transport attracts those who do not ( or cannot) have a driver's license, for various reasons! For instance, we sat across the aisle from one odd man who kept rubbing a deodorant stick all over his face. And then there are always scary things like bomb scares, or fires on the tracks, or cars/people trying to cross the tracks (or trying to commit suicide). And as was mentioned, there are a lot of delays, long waits, and trains not running on time. This is part of the problem with encouraging people to get out of their cars and try mass transit. Who wants or needs the hassle? Until they make it a lot more user-friendly, I'll keep using my gas-guzzler!

Old 12-07-2007, 03:39 PM

24 posts, read 99,528 times
Just wanted to add that Amtrak also has a pretty useless Web site--very poor maps and information about service, and difficult to navigate. Ticketing info was not available last time I tried to use the site. Also, I recently read a note on a site for one of the Brattleboro bike shops, about how Amtrak has now stopped allowing passengers to travel with bicycles. Lame. It is really a shame that what could be such a great transportation resource is emphatically NOT.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:39 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,135,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
The Vermonter takes way too long to be practical. The Ethan Allan which goes from DC to NYC to Rutland is much faster as it only has a few stops.

I have taken the Ethan Allen between Rutland to NYC a few times and I love it! Much better than figuring out what to do with my car when I'm in the city. And I can walk to the train station from my house in Rutland.

The ride between Rutland & NYC is beautiful and the other riders are usually quite friendly.

I will say, though, that it is a rather long ride. By the last couple of hours, I'm so ready to be there. I can't even imagine taking a more tedious ride, as the Vermonter is being described.

Does anyone who has taken both the Ethan Allen and the Vermonter and want to do a compare & contrast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont