Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:40 PM

5 posts, read 7,625 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving again! This is not our first out of state move and may not be the last.

This would be a harder move for the boys, 7th and 10th grade, and now having spent a few years in CA... playing water polo in Orange County and loving every minute of it. I know water polo will not have the obsessed parents we have now, the huge HS team, nor the hours of pool practice they have put in weekly the last few years. Here HS WP puts in more hours year round than the football team (div 2) does and WP (div 1 - highest division). Yes, your reading that right, same school different divisions per sport!! They try to match top teams against each other, producing a more competitive sports environment. You win, you move up, you lose, you move down. I see Murray and Kearns on the map for aquatics. Are these the best teams/facilities for water polo in the area?

My oldest is a gate/gifted straight A student with AP and honors classes. He is coming from a top ranked public school both locally and nationally. Need suggestions for the best public near me and/or private if we need to. Academics comes first, then sports. Oldest child's dream is to go to a college like Stanford for the academics of it, but not for playing Div 1 water polo in college. He's a very strong player, but he has not played all his life like most (all?) of the kids here, but is catching up quickly.

We've learned with moves the physical house is not as important as the location of it. We're moving from OC, so prices will be a whole lot cheaper per sq ft compared to here... any suggestions if working in Orem. Is a house on a lake (seen a few) worth it? Doesn't appear you can walk right out your door to the lake. I've read the state owns the land?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 08:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Judge Memorial is a top school in SLC; Catholic but I knew LDS folks that sent their sons there for the academics. It's too cold to be in the water outdoors for all but the 3 summer months (at least for me!). Never heard of water polo but then I only had one friend with a HS son.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:27 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
We live in Tooele County and there is a water polo team here. They also have AP/Honors and concurrent classes. It is a bit of a commute to Orem though.

Here is a link to the schools that offer water polo. The one that would be closest I think, would be Springville. However Herriman might be doable depending on how much of a commute you are looking for.
High School Teams - Utah High School Water Polo

Old 06-22-2015, 09:29 PM

Thank you, will check it out!

I too had never heard of water polo until we moved to CA!! AZ is warm year round, but water polo is not popular there for youth teams, just colleges. Best way to describe water polo is kind of like soccer but played in the water with your hands instead of feet. Two goals, one ball. CA they have all outdoor pools and play year round. Colder states play too but played in indoor pools.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:49 PM

388 posts, read 549,138 times
10TH grade? That is a really sucky timed move. All the UC opportunities in Cali to Utah? Is there no way of waiting it out? You are definitely going to start school in August? That will be 10th for your older kid?

Old 06-23-2015, 04:22 PM

We have flexibility, but ...1 year from now he'd be in 11th grade. Move then? Wait until after senior year? That's then 3 years of waiting it out and then my 7th grader would be a 10th grade and I'm in the same exact position....the timing will never ever be perfect, I get this. Sometimes you have to do what is best for the entire family and not just consider the impact of a new school or what in state college options he has in four years.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:41 AM

Tons of kids have to move at some point in their high school lives. They do just fine. Good luck to you!!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:13 AM

32 posts, read 54,710 times
One of the advantages of Utah is that quite a few school districts start high school in grade 10, and starting middle school in grade 7 is usual. This might be the best possible time for you to move for years to come.

Also, by rule of thumb, public education in Utah gets better the older the student gets. Public high schools actually do better than comparable schools in California in some geographical areas. Then, on the university level, Utah has fewer options than California but the options that exist are excellent and affordable (Utah and Utah State). Or, your kids could start out their education at a smaller four-year university (Weber State, Utah Valley [which is in Orem by the way], Southern Utah or Dixie State) and then move on to graduate school elsewhere. While options matter, the number of universities a student can attend at a time in both Utah and California is one, aside from the fact that going out of state is always an option.

Then, I've also heard from quite a few HR departments that many large companies actually prefer graduates from leading "inland" universities over graduates from universities on the coasts, because of perceived better work ethic, stronger loyalty, and a more grounded lifestyle. This might be something to consider as well, even though I'd question if that perception always holds true.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:24 AM

I forgot to mention that if your children did want to go back to CA for college, Utah participates in the WUE. That way your kids could attend while paying resident tuition.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) | Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education

Old 06-24-2015, 02:15 PM

Thanks kaytidid!! Had never heard of WUE, good to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah