Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 AM

29 posts, read 73,728 times

Advertisements

What is it like living in Park City, Utah? I have been to Park City snow skiing in the early 1980's. Seriously working on buying a Park City mountain home before the years end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 08:40 PM

119 posts, read 174,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBlockus View Post
What is it like living in Park City, Utah? I have been to Park City snow skiing in the early 1980's. Seriously working on buying a Park City mountain home before the years end.
The Park City of the 80's , for better or worse, is nothing like the Park City of today. I would recommend going back again and making sure its still all that you remember it being.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:32 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,449,272 times
Yup - what he said.

It's not even a decent commuter bedroom community.

When we first moved here 23 years ago we wanted to live there - not anymore.

It's an expensive tourist trap - unless you have enough money to live atop the mountain away from the tourists.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:31 PM

8 posts, read 17,777 times
Agree with above. Very resort driven now. Some good opportunities to get a reasonably priced condo and rent it out when your not using. I kniw some who have done that and are happy with the decision.
For sure take another trip out during the ski season.
Moderator cut: not allowed, read TOS Insider tip: check out powder mountain.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-11-2013 at 11:17 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 08:49 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,119 times
PowMow is under new ownership now. Be interesting to see what happens up there.
I would not buy a condo or a house in PC as there are so many better options at better prices elsewhere.
I lived there for 16 years and was in pC this morning. Do not miss living there, not for one minute...

Old 02-02-2014, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
PowMow is under new ownership now. Be interesting to see what happens up there.
I would not buy a condo or a house in PC as there are so many better options at better prices elsewhere.
I lived there for 16 years and was in pC this morning. Do not miss living there, not for one minute...
What do you consider as the better options? I am interested in buying in PC for a second home as well. I live in the Northeast and the ability to get to PC is awesome. I love Alta/Snowbird, but there is just not that much to do other than the skiing -and I love the mountain feel of PC area.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:12 PM

36 posts, read 72,709 times
So, you live in the NE and then come to PC once in a while. I consider that touristy myself. You may own a quarter share there. If so, that's an owner/tourist. It's not the same as living there. What's a better option? Depends on what you want. The PC of the 80's or the PC today? If the 80s, I don't know a better option. Not sure one exists. If the PC of today, might as well try places in Colorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBenzing View Post
What do you consider as the better options? I am interested in buying in PC for a second home as well. I live in the Northeast and the ability to get to PC is awesome. I love Alta/Snowbird, but there is just not that much to do other than the skiing -and I love the mountain feel of PC area.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:03 PM

25,702 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Yes, please visit before committing. Park City circa 80's and Park City today... you'd barely recognize what you remember.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:43 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBenzing View Post
Living in the Salt Lake Valley and driving to PC or any of the other ski resorts up our canyons is a better option than owning property there.

Tourist trap is a charitable description of today's Park City. I can only describe the Park City/Deer Valley area as a complex of fancy homes and condominiums that is surrounded by a sea of businesses that cater to them at expensive prices. I think the goal was always to try and compete with something like Aspen, Colorado.

In my observation, very few Utahns own property in the PC area. Its mostly owned by people from outside Utah who made their fortune elsewhere and are now spending it in Utah. I suppose a number of local building contractors made good money building the fancy homes for this elite group. However, the only other jobs created by all of it are low-paying jobs in the service industry for the hapless fools who wait on the wealthy.

On top of all that, the best skiing in the state is not at Park City. The best skiing is probably down in Little Cottonwood Canyon at Alta or Snowbird.

Living in PC is a poor option unless you just have money to burn and can't imagine doing something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: