Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 07:48 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,594,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I disagree. This nuclear-fear was just a cop-out. Most whites left the inner city, sadly, due to racism. In almost every major city in the 50's and 60's you see this trend. It wasn't right, but it was the reality.

What is truely interesting is the reverse is happening in many areas today. Many blacks have moved to the suburbs, and many whites have moved back into the inner city. The stats will show up in the 2010 census.
Racism is too simplistic of a cause. While racism was partially to blame for "white flight", there were many other complicating factors: rise of crime, deterioration of school quality, cheap mortgages, "redlining" by banks, exodus of industrial plants, easier transportation to distant neighborhoods (cars & freeways), etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 07:52 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,771,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Racism is too simplistic of a cause. While racism was partially to blame for "white flight", there were many other complicating factors: rise of crime, deterioration of school quality, cheap mortgages, "redlining" by banks, exodus of industrial plants, easier transportation to distant neighborhoods (cars & freeways), etc.
I think the largest and most obvious reason for White flight was the rise in suburbanization. White flight was occurring even in the 50s, before any civil rights issues came about. It simply increased with the end of legal segregation.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:54 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,498,898 times
I think some might be overstating the affect overcrowding had on the decline of these cities. Sure, tenement housing and super high density was a problem in some cities. But, I don't think cities like Cleveland had this kind of problem.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Cleveland (and similar cities like Detroit and Chicago?) ever had much of that kind of density. From what I've seen, most of Cleveland's housing stock was built in the 1910's and 1920's, and is single-family and two-family detached houses.

IMO, the bigger factor is the size of the household. For example, in 1950, these old homes probably had a family of 5-10 people. (2 parents, some kids, and maybe grandparents) But now, this same house probably has a family of 2 or 3.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:59 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times
Strangely our families have gotten smaller since then, but our houses kept getting bigger. At one time it was almost expected brothers or sisters would share a room. Now every kid has his/her own room, his/her own TV, DVD, computer, etc. I thought my generation was spoiled, but it amazes me what kids expect now. It's almost impossible to buy gifts because instead of wanting stuff like Transformers or dolls they want elaborate/expensive equipment.

Maybe that's a bit off-topic, but it sort-of relates to the move to desiring more personal space.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:13 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,498,898 times
On that note, do they even build houses with only one bathroom anymore?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:43 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
On that note, do they even build houses with only one bathroom anymore?
I doubt it. I heard one agent saying it would be easier to sell a home with two bedrooms and two bathrooms than four bedrooms and only one bath. There might be some one-bedroom condos with only one bath still being built.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:06 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
If you want to talk about land area, consider Jacksonville FL. It is the largest city in the lower 48 by land area. Population is also large, at almost a million (largest in FL). It is about six times as vast as Detroit. Since it isn't burdened by identification with declining industry, it might grow.

I hate Jacksonville. If Minneapolis went by Jacksonville standards we'd be a top-ten populated city in the US.
Attached Thumbnails
The 1950 Census-untitled.jpg  

Old 05-17-2010, 07:08 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,771,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I hate Jacksonville. If Minneapolis went by Jacksonville standards we'd be a top-ten populated city in the US.
I think a lot of cities would!

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...nism-baltimore

That's baltimore in the red shaded in region, that's Jacksonville in the red outline

Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
What do you think caused this?
The most interesting explaination I have read is one that involves the Great Depression, WWII and an influential exhibit at the 1939 World's Fair in NYC.

By the time that the World's Fair had come to NYC, the US was pulling itself out of the Great Depression. The ten year economic ordeal was capped by the fantistic "vision" presented by GM with "Futurama". In Futurama, GM laid out its vision of a utopia enabled by the automobile. It intoxicated America as everyone worked to forget their decade of misery. Then, America found itself in WWII. By the time the war was over, the US (along with the rest of the World) had 16 years of pent up misery and hardship to overcome. The power of the Futurama exhibit was our roadmap to forgetting the past. Americans needed a change of environment to move forward.
So, who was able to make this "dream" possible for themselves? Well, in the late 40s and 50s, those people were much more likely to be white. Racism was institutional in our society and opportunity definitely favored white people. So, racism had a role. But, it wasn't the only factor that drove the rapid expansion of suburbia.

YouTube - GM Futurama - 1939 World's Fair - Part 1

YouTube - GM Futurama - 1939 World's Fair - Part 2

Old 05-19-2010, 05:01 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,012,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree - saying Phoenix is the 5th largest city or even Houston the 4th is a bit of joke considering the HUGE land area the city limits contain

As much as a place like Detroit gets hit - given that land area it very well may still be larger than both population wise
I don't understand the joke. Regardless of land area, the 2.3 million in Houston and the 1.6 million in Phoenix all live within the same political boundary. It will not be long before Houston replaces Chicago as the third largest city and Phoenix makes a run to replace Chicago as the then fourth largest city.

Midwestern and Eastern cities are no longer what people want, with the exception of New York, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning