Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:35 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,867,321 times

Advertisements

Here is the ambitious future plan, all of which are funded by a small sales tax approved a few years ago. The funds will trickle in over a 30 year period. Two of the lines are currently under construction.

Here is the Get LA Moving plan, which is mostly fantasy:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 02:40 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,288,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Here is a map of a vision for a Seattle subway system. The grey line is already being built, the other lines are not yet funded. Post a dream map of your city's transit system!
The Seattle map posted is being pushed by proponents of a system that want it almost entirely underground. While I fully agree that in downtown and the inner neighborhoods this makes sense, I don't think it makes sense for some of the outer areas, like West Seattle or far North. The current plan for North Link (the grey line that is currently being built) will have a portal at 95th street, just before the Northgate stop. This makes sense. But the red line outlined in the map - I'm not so sure if it should be entirely underground. From Westlake to Ballard - yes, but past Ballard I'm not so sure, I think grade separated works fine. And, like I said, I don't think the West Seattle section makes sense to be underground as well.

http://seattletransitblog.com/wp-con.../11/vision.png

Old 11-27-2011, 05:59 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGuy View Post
Agreed, JR. Youngstown people just don't seem to grasp the concept of mass transit.
Probably only ridden by penny pinchers, serious environmentalists and those at the bottom of the barrel. Which is common for systems that only have buses.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:47 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,774,925 times
Current Metro System and Streetcar System with New Lines Under Construction in Phases now through 2020.

Current Commuter Rail Systems

Fantasy Map
http://www.brightestyoungthings.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/5374196051_30fda97742_b.jpg (broken link)

Metro has done a planning proposal for a circle line but not that route. Yellow line extension too Bridges Chaney is also being considered but it would be a combination with the Aqua Blue line. The blue line separation has been talked about for a while. None of this would be built before 2030 so it's fantasy.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-02-2011 at 10:03 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 11:08 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Is the purple line actually funded and under construction?

Old 12-03-2011, 11:31 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,523,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Is the purple line actually funded and under construction?
Funded yes, under construction no.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:28 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,989,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Here is the Get LA Moving plan, which is mostly fantasy:
It's entirely fantasy (none of his proposed lines are "official") but the real problem is that since then Damien has moved on to suing Metro over rail construction. He started FixExpo which sued to get Expo underground. He lost that, but did get a new station at Farmdale, which I think was good. Now he's started a group to put the Crenshaw line underground and is threatening to sue Metro over that. He used to complain that rail construction in the US is too expensive and now he has become part of the reason why that's true.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:47 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
It's entirely fantasy (none of his proposed lines are "official") but the real problem is that since then Damien has moved on to suing Metro over rail construction. He started FixExpo which sued to get Expo underground. He lost that, but did get a new station at Farmdale, which I think was good. Now he's started a group to put the Crenshaw line underground and is threatening to sue Metro over that. He used to complain that rail construction in the US is too expensive and now he has become part of the reason why that's true.
Don't you love that? Honestly, it does perplex me though. I have friend from college in Dubai. BART is still dicking around with the Warm Springs extension while Dubai has two lines (~75 km) up and almost fully operating with just a few infill stations currently under construction. The $900 million 8.7 km BART expansion w/ one station versus $7.6 billion 75 km from scratch including 14 km underground in sandbowl with 37 stations. How exactly do these projects cost the same per km of track? One station vs 37, funky BART versus ridiculously over the top Dubai... not to mention the underground part.

The whole expansion to San Jose is tentatively scheduled to take 20 years and will probably ballpark at the same cost as the two lines in Dubai that were built in about five. Same price for maybe a quarter of the track length and thirty some fewer stations that takes four times as long to build and you end up with BART for all that time and money. Short straw if I ever saw it.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Don't you love that? Honestly, it does perplex me though. I have friend from college in Dubai. BART is still dicking around with the Warm Springs extension while Dubai has two lines (~75 km) up and almost fully operating with just a few infill stations currently under construction. The $900 million 8.7 km BART expansion w/ one station versus $7.6 billion 75 km from scratch including 14 km underground in sandbowl with 37 stations. How exactly do these projects cost the same per km of track? One station vs 37, funky BART versus ridiculously over the top Dubai... not to mention the underground part.

The whole expansion to San Jose is tentatively scheduled to take 20 years and will probably ballpark at the same cost as the two lines in Dubai that were built in about five. Same price for maybe a quarter of the track length and thirty some fewer stations that takes four times as long to build and you end up with BART for all that time and money. Short straw if I ever saw it.
Well a little bit of imperialism and dollars go a long way, plus Dubai is building from scratch basically, why some line in DFW are likely more cost efficient than those in Seattle or LA where there is more crap to deal with already in the way. I am particulary interested to see how the Light Rail works in Seattle as this may be more the model moving ahead.

Most of the US is very frustrating with PT development. LA, Seattle, and obviously DC are pretty good these days. Hell in Philly we cant get a integrated rail card integrated let alone build some real sh&t. Very frustrating.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
I can't understand why the Bay Area extends BART for such long distances. Won't commuter rail make more sense, and at a lower cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning