Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 02:12 PM

5,307 posts, read 3,880,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
High yield savings?
Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 02:20 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,795,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I don't see in the bill where this affects 2020. Looks like the tax break is 2021 only. But we'll see Monday I guess.
Durbin proposed it and according to his senate page, it should cover 2020:

https://www.durbin.senate.gov/newsro...oyed-americans

The Coronavirus Unemployment Benefits Tax Relief Act would waive federal income taxes on the first $10,200 of unemployment benefits received in 2020. The tax relief would extend to both workers who received benefits through federal unemployment programs like Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) and Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) as well as those who received traditional benefits through their state unemployment insurance fund.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:21 PM

382 posts, read 666,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Durbin proposed it and according to his senate page, it should cover 2020:

https://www.durbin.senate.gov/newsro...oyed-americans

The Coronavirus Unemployment Benefits Tax Relief Act would waive federal income taxes on the first $10,200 of unemployment benefits received in 2020. The tax relief would extend to both workers who received benefits through federal unemployment programs like Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) and Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) as well as those who received traditional benefits through their state unemployment insurance fund.
Would have to see the final signed version of the bill.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:41 PM

32,230 posts, read 27,476,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcolby1978 View Post
I understand it will benefit me but this tax break on the first 10,200 of UI is absolute BS ... they want to pass this because so many people didnt have taxes withheld and now face a tax burden??!? my lord....
Tend to agree with you, but keep in mind thanks to their messed up and antiquated DOL computer systems, many states simply didn't offer option for withholding of federal taxes on the "extra" UI bennies.

Some states (if option was chosen) took taxes out of both regular UI along with everything else that came out of CARES Act. Others only takes from straight UI but not any of that extra $600 or $300 per week.

Since you had no small number of people collecting far more money on UI than they earned from normal employment, yes there is going to be a shock on tax day.

If every state had their ducks in a row and allowed UI claimants to withhold federal taxes on all benefits, then yes would say this latest "gimmie" is not necessary. But this is how US rolls now; it's all part of "I get a check, you get a check, and *you* get a check..."

Old 03-07-2021, 07:05 AM

I would imagine that if this goes through with the forgiveness of 10.2K in UI that some kind of paper work would have to be sent to us citizens. I have looked at the 1040 and really cannot find a line where you can claim this 10.2K. If anyone can find it help me out.

I would imagine nearly a quarter of all people who file have done so already. Unless some kind of credit can be applied to 2022 returns this is shaping up to be an administrative nightmare for the IRS.

People were urged to file early to get the stimulus check.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:31 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,795,671 times
It will indeed be an admin nightmare for IRS. I am looking at a blank 1040-X (amended return, which I assume everyone who already filed will need to file), and there is a line for "taxable income", of which I am guessing we just deduct $ 10.2K from what we had previously.

One change I am aware of is that amendments can be E-filed now. In the past, they could only be done via paper amendment (even if the original return was E-filed).

Old 03-07-2021, 08:59 AM

Horror show. I know that for people that did not get the first stimulus check there was an option to get a credit on this year's return. Hopefully they clarify this and send guidance to the community of tax preparers. Just deducting 10.2K on an electronically filed amended return on the taxable income line just doesn't sound like a good idea and might raise some red flags with the IRS. Guess we'll see. This does seem to penalize those who worked and must report all of their income.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:09 AM

6 posts, read 1,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
If they include the tax break, people will save money in the end even with the lower boost.

I would save about $1,800 on my 2020 taxes if they make $10,200 non taxable.
I've already had 10% of federal tax witheld from my weekly ui,since march 2020. How would that work in this case any ideia?

Old 03-07-2021, 09:24 AM

6 posts, read 1,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShades View Post
Also 10,00 of UI will be non taxable
I had 10% witheld every week from my ui payment(my choice) and yet haven't filled out the tax return.
Any ideia on how to proceed in this case,since the senate approved a tax waiver for the first 10200 earned in ui

Old 03-07-2021, 09:34 AM

102 posts, read 88,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggies1973 View Post
I had 10% witheld every week from my ui payment(my choice) and yet haven't filled out the tax return.
Any ideia on how to proceed in this case,since the senate approved a tax waiver for the first 10200 earned in ui
Once it's signed into law there will be instructions on how to proceed, probably a new form to get your refund
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment