Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:17 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,147 times

Advertisements

For those of you that have done this, have you been happy? I don't watch too much tv, and can stay informed online. I don't have too many shows that I follow these days (could be my work schedule, or just not that "into" tv). I am ditching cable, and can use Hulu and Netflix from my PS3. Has anyone tried Hulu Plus? Thoughts on that vs regular Hulu? Price wise, it doesn't seem too bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 06:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I don't have any TV I have to pay for. Period. And I am very happy about it.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
We have no cable or Dish. We had Netflix and HuluPlus for a while, then eventually dropped HuluPlus.

The only big difference between the two is that Hulu has more current programming. Even so, the selection really isn't all that great, unless you're into Korean soap operas.

Netflix has a decent but not exhaustive selection. Between it and our library having a pretty good selection of DVDs, I don't really miss cable at all. I'm not really into sports, and I can get all the news I want online.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM

606 posts, read 903,657 times
We also have ditched cable and have huluplus and netflix. We got a roku box and between those two channels, free ones on the roku, and the laptop, we don't find a need for anything else. I think Huluplus is great. Most of the shows we watched are on there we just have to wait an extra day for it to end up on huluplus in order to watch it. That works out fine.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:25 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
I did ditch the cable for broadcast TV and a Roku. I tried Netflix and HuluPlus but didn't have enough movie selection to keep me interested. I did setup PlayOn on my PC so my Roku can use that to access TV programming. I ran into only a couple of problems... there would be an election coming for which I demanded Fox Biz channel. And I really wanted the Longhorn Network. So I got direcTV.

The election is over so I'll be ditching the dTV as soon as possible. And anticipating the Longhorn Network seems to be as good as MicroSoft's annual vapor ware.

I went with the lifetime subscript at PlayON (currently on sale for $39.99) and the PlayON scripts get me all the TV I can handle, plus some movie access and non plus Hulu. Also, I have Amazon Prime so I have a good movie selection. Probably as good as HuluPlus and/or Netflix, frequently free or discounted. Not to mention all the free delivery on product purchases I get, it's been worth the Prime annual fee.

I guess at this point the only drawback is I would have missed RG3's magic TD pitch while on his back, vs NYG's. Take a look at the PlayOn. It should work with your DLNA device - PS3 - and has a trial period. If I can answer any questions on that PM me for attention.

Last edited by Willsson; 12-03-2012 at 07:34 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
We also have ditched cable and have huluplus and netflix. We got a roku box and between those two channels, free ones on the roku, and the laptop, we don't find a need for anything else. I think Huluplus is great. Most of the shows we watched are on there we just have to wait an extra day for it to end up on huluplus in order to watch it. That works out fine.
I'd be good with that except for the news. Local stations, well sort of local since they are the closest, give blanket coverage to storms. Since nobody says what's happening here I scan all the networks until they have a clear radar track and I can see if we're in range.

Antenna tv is not so good here, requiring a fairly expensive one and carful adjustment when the wind blows it. I use the barebones dish package, which has more than the cable and doesn't require monthly calls about problems, and is fairly cheap but my suggestion to local stations is run real time their news online, and if there is emergency coverage, run that too.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 PM

606 posts, read 903,657 times
I watch the local news from the Roku. Roku has a bunch of private channels that someone clued me into so now I can watch a lot more than I knew when I first got it. Although, it's not live. The local news also streams live online. I do understand why you'd need that live weather coverage though if you are in a storm prone area. The few times a year that I need to tune in live, I can do so from the computer since the local news will stream that as well. I could set up the antenna tv, I'm sure we would get a great signal, I just haven't gotten around to actually doing it yet.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
I watch the local news from the Roku. Roku has a bunch of private channels that someone clued me into so now I can watch a lot more than I knew when I first got it. Although, it's not live. The local news also streams live online. I do understand why you'd need that live weather coverage though if you are in a storm prone area. The few times a year that I need to tune in live, I can do so from the computer since the local news will stream that as well. I could set up the antenna tv, I'm sure we would get a great signal, I just haven't gotten around to actually doing it yet.
Where I live is halfway between OKC and Tulsa, actually exactly half way. The only stations are all based in OKC. I use the live radar I can see as they get reports to see directions. I know that the chances of one coming any one place are small, but with only four years here its still high state of stress time...

Last summer we had a fire in the adjoining (by about seven miles) really small town. It was burning our way and when we went to the store you could see the smoke. On the way out the hill behind the store was on fire, and I spent the rest of the evening, and night, checking reports. The worse was when the other fires were out and tv didn't mention it but you could still smell fresh smoke. I finally called I think the police to find out where it was and as it wasn't near went to bed... got spoiled by all that on the spot news in socal.

That was the really scary time and I think a weather/emergency raido is in order now.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:25 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
For those of you that have done this, have you been happy? I don't watch too much tv, and can stay informed online. I don't have too many shows that I follow these days (could be my work schedule, or just not that "into" tv). I am ditching cable, and can use Hulu and Netflix from my PS3. Has anyone tried Hulu Plus? Thoughts on that vs regular Hulu? Price wise, it doesn't seem too bad!
I've done the same thing but I still have basic cable so I can watch sports. Basketball, Football etc. I'm loving it. I get to watch what i want to watch when i want to watch it. I like Hulu Plus, they usually have newer fox & NBC shows so you can catch up on them or you can watch older shows like Lost.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:27 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times
Another bonus of getting Hulu & Netflix is that a lot of the shows are in High Defination (HD). Try it out, I believe that you get a free month trial with each service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV