Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 6,113 times

Advertisements

Hi! I have so many questions about Tulsa and feel lots of pressure to do what's right for our kids as we consider relocating. My husband and I would like to find a strong, closely knit neighborhood with lots of children, want excellent schools and some outside space to enjoy biking and being together as a family. We have heard that Tulsa schools are poor, but we love the idea of living in the city. We've heard that Broken Arrow, Jenks and Union have the best schools. If we do decide to move to one of these communities, which neighborhood do we choose? We also like the idea of living on some acreage, maybe a farm outside of the bustling suburbs. So many questions. Argh! Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 AM

5 posts, read 22,651 times
Stay in Dallas!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:48 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,303,835 times
If you use biking as a guideline, you will cut out a lot of neighborhoods. Unfortunately, many neighborhoods and streets just aren't designed for it. There are some areas that are better than others. You probably need to pick your areas based on distance to work and quality of schools first and then go from there. I'd drive around in the evenings and on weekends to get a better idea of how conducive how the area is for family life. A good realtor realtor should be able to help once you find your target area.

Good luck!

Old 07-13-2012, 02:18 PM

19 posts, read 36,456 times
I moved from Dallas years ago and there are many great schools and homes in the Tulsa area.
My three kids adjusted well and I think you too will enjoy Tulsa when you relocate.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:45 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,865,715 times
We bought a few acres in rural Sapulpa. Our kids are grown so we are planning for retirement.
When you look at something you like, be sure to check it out with this site:

FEMA Floodsmart

Old 07-20-2012, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 9,268 times
good schools, NOPE, I moved to texas from here, and was years behind, had an entire summer of school to catch up with normal school aged kids! I returned here after getting my BSN and I'm horrified at the intelligence level of people here! The drug problem here is horrid and it seems the youth here is from outerspace compared to other places I have lived. 10 years of traveling and living in multiple states from the military. I'm a people watcher and if you like seeing screwed up youth and FAT people, come here, you will be amused!

Old 07-20-2012, 06:04 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,880,247 times
I lived in Tulsa for 8 years when my 2 youngest were still in HS. We moved from NJ, and the school there was WAY behind what my kids were used to. Second, they don't have gym class there (which I do not understand). My kids went to Union I HIGH AND THEN ONE YEAR AT UNION HIGH, they dropped out in favor of GED, due to gang problems and the drugs (which can be anywhere) Also, there are no sidewalks for bike riding or walking. I personally liked 81st and Memorial for homes. Nice neighborhoods, quiet.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:26 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,602,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Girl View Post
Hi! I have so many questions about Tulsa and feel lots of pressure to do what's right for our kids as we consider relocating. My husband and I would like to find a strong, closely knit neighborhood with lots of children, want excellent schools and some outside space to enjoy biking and being together as a family. We have heard that Tulsa schools are poor, but we love the idea of living in the city. We've heard that Broken Arrow, Jenks and Union have the best schools. If we do decide to move to one of these communities, which neighborhood do we choose? We also like the idea of living on some acreage, maybe a farm outside of the bustling suburbs. So many questions. Argh! Please help!
Don't believe what you heard sister , tulsa has some of the best schools in the United States of America and even the world. Edmond OK , Oklahoma City OK and Tulsa OK top schools are elite school indeedTulsa Schools - Tulsa Oklahoma School Ratings - Public and Private also see
Two Tulsa Schools Made Newsweek's 2012 List Of Best Schools - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com | Tulsa Booker T. Washington kept dropping from 65 to 77 to 124 , but the 124 best school in America is pretty good..don't you think..?

The best place for real estate with some acreage is Owasso OK , Bixby OK , Area (South of Southern
Bartlesville OK) and (Far Northern North Tulsa OK)....

Old 07-21-2012, 07:57 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,220,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiano View Post
good schools, NOPE, I moved to texas from here, and was years behind, had an entire summer of school to catch up with normal school aged kids! I returned here after getting my BSN and I'm horrified at the intelligence level of people here! The drug problem here is horrid and it seems the youth here is from outerspace compared to other places I have lived. 10 years of traveling and living in multiple states from the military. I'm a people watcher and if you like seeing screwed up youth and FAT people, come here, you will be amused!
You must not have lived in Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio then. They have plenty of screwed up people and fat people. I will say though that I really didn't believe that there were people left in this world that though modern dentistry was quackery until I moved to Tulsa.

I think the schools here require supplementing. I asked my step children, who entering middle school, what presidential number was Abraham Lincoln? (ie. third, seventh, ect). Neither child nor my wife knew he was the 16th President. I was shocked. The kids did not even know George Washington was the first president or known as the Father of Our Country. They at least knew he was a president and fought in the revolutionary war. I felt like I was on Jay-walking.

Tulsa Public at least admits they have issues, unlike Jenks, BA, Union, ect. They all trash TPS but other than Jenks, their students really don't score much better on SAT/ACT than TPS. I'd rather take a chance on the district that is trying to change for the better than the one that covers it up and concentrates on how much they want to pay the foo'ball coach this year.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:51 AM

702 posts, read 2,519,762 times
Moved my family several years ago from the metroplex to Owasso. Owasso schools were outstanding, plenty of AP classes to choose from and it prepared my son for pursuit of his Chemical Engineering degree which he achieved two years ago. His OSU ChemE class had two Goldwater scholarship award winners and his GPA ended up being just as good as kids from all over the country. Had his foundation not been solid from Owasso he would not have been able to succeed like he did getting his ChemE degree. I laugh when I hear people bag on the school systems in/around Tulsa. If your child is not focused and his parents are not involved even the best schools in the world can seem like they have failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa