Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 08:26 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,433 times

Advertisements

After two rounds of phone interviews, I'm coming out to Tucson to interview on Friday for a job at St. Mary's - so am looking at apartments in the vicinity. After suffering through heinously long and stressful Orange County commutes, I want to be close (but not too close - I don't want to get caught up in apartments full of students) to work - and I decided I want to live on the west side of I-10 (I almost typed the stereotypical California phrase "The 10" but I know I would get murdered for that!!)

I'm looking at two places up Silverbell near Grant; "The Place at 2120" and "Puesta Del Sol". I'm going to be scoping them out in person on Saturday but I've already done a goodly amount of research. Anybody have any opinions about either or both? The one thing that bothers me is that 2120 advertises constantly about their lack of breed or weight restrictions on dogs. They'll apparently take anything!

Any and all thoughts welcome. I was also looking at some "luxury" apartments called something at Starr Pass but their name escapes me at the moment and I think it'll be out of my price range.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 09:20 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Possibly a little more information on your wants and needs plus what you may be expecting in a home would be helpful, Rah.

Personally, I would prefer a Condo Rental that would offer more of a "home feeling" with more privacy and a garage vs a large Apartment Complex. How about you?

Also, I would prefer a home a little closer to "stuff to do" rather than so far over on the Westside.

Good Luck.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:54 PM

My wants and needs? A secure apartment in a decent area where I won't feel unsafe.
My desire is to be close to work, which is on the Westside. "Stuff to do" is secondary.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:19 PM

700 posts, read 918,604 times
I like the west side, as I like the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum and Saguaro National Park; this was a long time ago, but at first we looked in houses in developments by Pima Community College main campus. It's a beautiful area over there in the Tucson Mountains, and the neighborhood we were looking in had incredible views of the Santa Catalinas and the city all the way to Reddington. Here's a photo I took about a million years ago with a worse camera (23 Jun 2004).

https://tinyurl.com/yddbw7rg

This lady looks like she feels ok walking her dog there, I thought. IIRC it's around N Saddlewood Ranch Drive, north off W Speedway. I honestly don't know what the neighbors are like over there; probably the apartments near Pima CC attract students. I also thought about condos around Starr Pass; not sure how that is either, but it looks very nice there. I see condos for rent in Starr Pass sometimes when I am browsing around. We moved away and didn't get to live there, but I would sure try if I worked at St Mary's. Maybe a year's lease or something to try it out.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post

This lady looks like she feels ok walking her dog there, I thought. IIRC it's around N Saddlewood Ranch Drive, north off W Speedway. I honestly don't know what the neighbors are like over there; probably the apartments near Pima CC attract students. I also thought about condos around Starr Pass; not sure how that is either, but it looks very nice there. I see condos for rent in Starr Pass sometimes when I am browsing around. We moved away and didn't get to live there, but I would sure try if I worked at St Mary's. Maybe a year's lease or something to try it out.
I did find the apartment complex called "Starrview at Starr Pass" and it looks very nice, but I'm 89.6% certain it will be out of my price range.

I "drove" from St. Mary's up to the two complexes near Silverbell and Grant (using Google Street View) and the area looks fine. I'll be doing the actual driving on Saturday. (Never look at an apartment complex M-F during the workday when everybody's gone and it's artificially quiet... go on a Saturday when everybody's home and you get a better picture of how loosey-goosey a place might get.)

Old 03-01-2018, 05:16 PM

344 posts, read 642,790 times
Unfortunately that area of town has been pretty rough in the past. I go to Mass sometimes at St Marys with Father Joe, they saved my life but I would not live in the direct area unless I was fluent in Spanish. However I would live in the Zona Village and due West of there. Toward Old Tucson are some very nice areas.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:36 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
I moved from expensive south Orange County to Tucson in November, right after I retired from work. It took me about 2 weeks and looking at over a dozen apartment places to find the right combination of affordable, quiet, clean, secure and in a convenient mid-town location. It's not perfect, but for less than $600 per month, I am pretty comfortable here.

There are lots of noisy apartment complexes in Tucson. All of the large apartment complexes I looked at in Tucson were too close to a major street or designed in a way that would cause lots of noise from adjacent apartments. The apartment I rented is in a small complex of just 15 units, all single level (no neighbor above or below). I found it by spotting a curb side sign, not from Craigslist or other on-line source.

Grant & Silverbell is a busy intersection, less than 1 mile west of I-10 and the main railroad tracks. I would not want to rent either of the 2 places you mentioned on Silverbell - too much traffic noise. I would rather look at University Villa Apts on West Ironwood, about 1/2 mile west of Silverbell & Grant. Those apartments are set back from the road and surrounded by lots of open space.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:24 AM

700 posts, read 918,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
...I'll be doing the actual driving on Saturday...
I'd enjoy hearing how that works out; envious... Have a good time!

Old 03-02-2018, 10:34 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,059,721 times
spend a good amount of time driving around and getting a feel for the various neighborhoods near work.....

many choices in that area besides your two, but some may lean toward younger occupants (if that's a concern).....the entire area may feel noisy at night and on weekends......Pima Community College is near St Mary's and that may affect traffic, noise, etc.....

I hope all works out

Old 03-02-2018, 12:29 PM

404 posts, read 480,498 times
I can't speak about apartments. But we live west of the Interstate below Ajo Way and really love this location. We get up into the area you're talking about and like it up there. I know a guy who lives off Pennington and likes it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson