Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:41 AM

594 posts, read 1,049,884 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to take our 7 year old twins to Europe for the first time in April 2011. The problem we're having is deciding where in Europe to take them. The only place we've ruled out is Rome/Tuscany/Venice because my wife and I have done that several times. LOVE IT, but we want something different. Any recommendations are welcome. Right now we're thinking very generally about 4 options: 1) Barcelona --> Dordogne --> Paris; 2) Bavaria --> Austria --> Dolomites; 3) Ireland/British Isles; 4) Southern Italy/Sicily. Any thoughts on these itinerary ideas? Are all of these places kid-friendly? Some moreso than others?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 10:03 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,204,269 times
No specific advice, but some ideas:

I do think Italians are probably the most kid-tolerant we've seen, but I don't want to make too big a generalization. Our kids (boys, now grown) always seemed to find something they liked no matter where we went.

The basic stuff they enjoyed back then (castles, soccer, street buskers, stimulating museums, good food) always seemed to turn up for them. We once went to a game in Siena. Also, the kid would end up playing soccer in the piazza with the local Italian kids or in the garden with the Scottish kids at our B&B. The UK does have a lot of family-oriented hands-on things to do. One of our favorite memories of Scotland is of a combination sheepdog trial/auction that we just happened upon by accident.

If you did the first itinerary, the kids would probably enjoy Barcelona's fantastic La Sagrada Familia, and in the Dordogne you could check out the caves (Gouffre and/or Lascaux.) Nearby Sarlat has a wonderful market day.
Paris can be really kid-friendly, too, especially at the public parks, and it seems as if there is a merry-go-round at every other corner.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:00 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,352,598 times
No matter where you go, you'll have fun. Every single country/city in Europe has people with children, so don't worry about that aspect. I grew up in Poland and traveled all over Europe and can assure you that you won't be chastised for having kids, no matter where you go. Have an awesome trip. Your kids will remember it for the rest of their lives!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:12 AM

14,228 posts, read 30,220,672 times
At 7 they won't remember much long term other than that they went. I think I would do some place beachy because 7yo kids will have little tolerance for or interest in history. Maybe Rhodes would be a good destination.

Maybe finish up with a couple days at Euro-Disney?

Old 05-26-2010, 02:41 PM

13,392 posts, read 45,204,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
At 7 they won't remember much long term other than that they went.
You can take plenty of pictures, but I do agree that the memories, for the kids, will be on the fuzzy side. For this reason, the parents are researching places which I assume hold interest for them.
It might be worthwhile to enlist the kids' assistance in some research.
They could look online, and peruse guidebooks from the library or bookshop.
If the kids have even just a little bit to do with choosing and researching the destination, they might be that more enthusiastic about it once they get there.
Quote:
I think I would do some place beachy because 7yo kids will have little tolerance for or interest in history. Maybe Rhodes would be a good destination.
Greece is an amazing place, and Rhodes or Crete would be good in terms of the kids enjoying the beach and ruins, and parents enjoying the history and everything else.
But that's pretty far to go; they might as well just go to Sicily. But who knows maybe Greece would not be that much more.
Quote:
Maybe finish up with a couple days at Euro-Disney?

Old 05-26-2010, 04:16 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,107,534 times
I'm 22 now, but the things I remember from being a kid and my family trips weren't seeing something like a beautiful beach, but i do remember being in the big waves on the inner tube. i dont remember a sunset in tampa, but i do remember going to bush gardens and loving the roller coaster. I dont remember the water was really cool on the way to key west, i remember it was a long ass drive with nothing but weird people when i got there. I dont remember the amazing views of the rocky's .. i remember having a snowball fight with the family. keep things that would be enjoyable for you guys that your kids can just have some fun and be kids and itll be a memorable vacation.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:24 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,267,707 times
If the twins are boys, think castles.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:04 PM

44,218 posts, read 45,109,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
If the twins are boys, think castles.
Plenty of castles in the United Kingdom!

Old 05-26-2010, 08:11 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,950,605 times
Read up on The Netherlands.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:23 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,515,543 times
I also vote for The Netherlands - or Amsterdam and environs in particular. Canals and canal cruises, windmills, tulips, museums (several have special programs for kids), parks and playgrounds. Easy to walk around... if you're brave you could even rent bikes with kid-seats attached! Check out the Botel (maybe it's Boatel, don't recall) - not far from the main train station - I think 7-year olds would enjoy the experience of sleeping on a boat! Just stay away from Red Light area and brown cafes!!

As other posters have stated, I don't think there's anywhere in Europe where kids won't be welcomed... but from an expense point of view, the further south you go the cheaper it tends to be to entertain and feed them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel