Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 01:49 AM

62,494 posts, read 88,548,675 times

Advertisements

...gift from my son. Where to go?
Please give some suggestions.
I want to go where is cooler than in Houston
Will fly to save time, will rent a car for mobility
Don't care for camping/hiking but don't mind lots of walking
Would like to visit an interesting place: architecture, food, landscape ...
Been to NY, Chicago, LA, Knoxville, New Orleans, Orlando,
SF, LV, Dallas, Memphis, Natchez, Nashville, most of Wyoming ...
Thinking about Seattle, Denver, Santa Fe,
Never been in Arizona. Not enough time for Alaska. Portland, Baltimore - still too cold.
Miami - too hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 04:24 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,612,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
don't mind lots of walking
Would like to visit an interesting place: architecture, food, landscape ...
Montreal would check all your boxes ..Summers in Marvelous Montreal | Explore the Beautiful City

Old 04-25-2018, 09:16 AM

31,304 posts, read 33,022,335 times
I don’t know why you have trouble finding a place to go and visit. Most everyone I know always tells me where I can go……………

You might think about flying into Phoenix and taking a two hour drive north to Sedona. It’s a great place to take pictures and enjoy the mild weather, plenty of enjoyable gift shops to browse in and lots of hiking trails should you want to take the time. Excellent restaurants and lodging to enjoy during your stay. It’s a great place to get to reconnect with nature and relax.

Unlike the Grand Canyon which will be very busy on Mothers Day, Sedona will have it's share of tourist but it's much easier and enjoyable for a short time trip. You'll see parts of Arizona that you never thought existed so be sure to take the camera.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:23 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,739,170 times
Toronto & Naigra Falls

Old 04-25-2018, 10:25 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,038,234 times
I second the notion of visiting Sedona, which is an A plus destination. So beautiful and photogenic, and we did a day trip to the Grand Canyon, which was amazing. I also really like the Oregon coast in summer. We spent 4 nights in Cannon Beach and then visited the Columbia River Gorge and Portland, and it made for a great August trip. Also love Banff National Park and Big Sur, California.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:13 AM

62,494 posts, read 88,548,675 times
Wow... Thank you, guys!!!
I didn't think about Montreal!
And Arizona sounds great too. How is the weather around that time?

Old 04-28-2018, 02:54 AM

400 posts, read 296,342 times
Boston, Massachusetts and Connecticut. You can travel with a rented car. Very beautiful scenery. Beautiful homes, architecture with lovely little ponds among them.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:50 AM

27,340 posts, read 44,519,048 times
I think Denver would be easiest from Houston in terms of flight time and offers lots of scenery. For walking and experiencing Denver has some great neighborhoods like LoDo, Five Points and the River North Arts District. Just out of town to the north there's the city of Boulder which is scenic going to/from and also very walkable. The hour-40 minute drive out to the Victorian-era mountain mining town of Leadville is breath taking and also takes you through Breckenridge which is worth a stop as well.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:03 AM

31,304 posts, read 33,022,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Wow... Thank you, guys!!!
I didn't think about Montreal!
And Arizona sounds great too. How is the weather around that time?
Clear and sunny! Not too hot in Sedona .....
also you can take a short drive to Jerome AZ where you can visit an old mining town.

https://visitsedona.com/things-to-do/

Old 04-28-2018, 09:04 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,101,784 times
By "Portland too cold" do you mean Portland, Maine? Because Portland Oregon around Mother's Day isn't cold at all, particularly if you head east into the Columbia River Gorge and Hood River area. There are waterfalls full of spring runoff, orchards and vineyards in bloom in the Hood River Valley, the very fun and funky Maryhill Museum and nearby Stonehenge replica, Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood, galleries, brewpubs and wineries in Hood River... it's a magical area in the spring.

Second idea, the California gold rush country. Fly into Sacramento and explore CA Hwy 49. Beautiful country and fabulous historic towns like Columbia, Sutter Creek, Amador City, Murphys, Volcano... wildflowers and wineries, drive up CA 4 to Calaveras Big Trees State Park for giant sequoias... and although you won't find accommodation by this point, a day drive into Yosemite Valley is fab in the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel