Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,208,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I've never seen anyone in Europe looking like that. You need to quit watching comedy movies.
I have and have photos to prove it. Look at the people coming off cruise ships--the larger and more mass market and more catering to Americans they are, the more likely to see it. Saw a group from one of the megaloaders with offices in miami (hint hint) at the Acropolis one day and wanted to die for them. It was so embarrassing to our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 10:38 AM

31,297 posts, read 20,818,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Ok, so it's ignorant. Doesn't make it wrong.
I agree that ignorant doesn't make it wrong. What makes it wrong is that it's incorrect.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:31 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,358,489 times
When you say that "They don't like Americans."
Is it North Americans, Central Americans, South Americans or all ?

Old 10-21-2015, 03:31 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,136,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I agree that ignorant doesn't make it wrong. What makes it wrong is that it's incorrect.

It's incorrect to YOU and that doesn't have any merit.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:11 PM

336 posts, read 578,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It's incorrect to YOU and that doesn't have any merit.
You do not have any merit.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:25 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,057,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickofdiamonds View Post
when you say that "they don't like americans."
is it north americans, central americans, south americans or all ?
usa

Old 10-24-2015, 01:02 PM

518 posts, read 767,650 times
That blanket statement "Don't like Americans" is about racist as they come. Surely they don't think all 300million+ americans are the exact same stereotype that whomever wants to believe.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:17 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,762,049 times
Default Yes and no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I hear the phrase "they don't like Americans" repeated many times when I mention traveling overseas. I have been to Europe, Central and South America, and while in Europe spent a day in Morocco and not once have I had someone specifically ask if I was American and I have never been forced to identify my nationality. While some people have found out I was American by asking where I was from, not once did they take issue with it. Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever had Any negative reactions if they said they were American? Or is my theory that a lot of Americans need to stop being so paranoid true?
It is said, but to me it sound more out of partial envy. Kind of like you hate and love that person in school that always one ups you. I always find people say that, but are still secretly obsessed with American culture. As a Canadian it always annoys me that people always continue to call you Americsn even when you tell them multiple times. Then when you more bluntly point out they are actually different countries ... The response is more or less whatever same difference to me. I got that in a Turkey, Morocco, England, France, Egypt Italy .... I gave up explaining the difference. I had a friend from New Zeland that always says she gets the same kind of things said related to the mix up between Austrailia and New Zeland.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:06 PM

31,297 posts, read 20,818,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
It is said, but to me it sound more out of partial envy. Kind of like you hate and love that person in school that always one ups you. I always find people say that, but are still secretly obsessed with American culture. As a Canadian it always annoys me that people always continue to call you Americsn even when you tell them multiple times. Then when you more bluntly point out they are actually different countries ... The response is more or less whatever same difference to me. I got that in a Turkey, Morocco, England, France, Egypt Italy .... I gave up explaining the difference. I had a friend from New Zeland that always says she gets the same kind of things said related to the mix up between Austrailia and New Zeland.
This is quite common. People in the UK call all Americans "Yanks". They don't know how offensive that is to millions of us.

And lots of people outside the UK confuse Britain and England. That really infuriates people from Scotland and Wales.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:35 PM

13,495 posts, read 18,269,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northporlarbear View Post
French probably don't like Americans because they want to mooch off (tagging along) American glory for helping America get the independence. However, America doesn't agree. That seems to **** them off. ...
Haven't met a French person yet who gave a fart in a jug about France's role in the American Revolution. I think think the problem is that many Americans actually resent the French participation as if it somehow detracted from event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel