Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:30 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,500,606 times

Advertisements

Ugh you guys I'm flying sunday morning.. Panic attack doesn't even start to describe it.. Hysterical like the 3 year old behind you on an international is more like it.. I sweat, I cry, I shake I get heart palps to the point that I think I might actually have a heart attack ( and I have a hole in my heart as it is so that can't be good!) I hyperventilate you get the point.. I honestly can't help it. I'm starting to have a panic attack right now just thinking about flying. .The fear is overwhelming, and its not just take off and landing I'm stressed and shaking the entire flight I frequently have the flight attendants asking if I'm okayand I've had people sitting next to me hold my hand the entire flights before. I'm scared cause I've never flown in the winter before I know I'm gonna freak if they start de-icing my planes wings and I see it and I think my god what if they're not doing a good enough job etc.. I feel like a total baby at 25 years old. What do you do to help? Do you think my doctor would prescribe me something like xanax just for a flight? I'm making myself sick with worry over the flight.. Its from NH-SWFL btw.I'm seriously one of those people where I can't enjoy my vacation cause I'm so stressed that I have to get back on the plane at the end of it that thats all I can think about.

Yeah and I was the one just asking for opinions if we should drive or fly.. flying pretty much was the only option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,961,022 times
Yes, your MD can give you drugs. I have a friend that has to take Valium when she gets to the gate. Ativan takes the edge off of the "I need to be in control", while still giving you the ability to function. Just remember....it's more dangerous driving your car to or from the airport than it is flying.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:55 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,529,281 times
Xanax was exactly what I was going to say you might want to use. I am sure most doctors will give you 1 for your flight each way. DO NOT drink with them and make sure there is someone on the other end that will be driving you when you arrive at your destination. Maybe put together some relaxing music on an Ipod or something and bring it along with the earphones to try to relax.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:14 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,909,735 times
Go to the doctor. explain every single symptom you have, even if its embarrassing, like you get gassy, and let the doc prescribe something for you. Definitely don't drink, it'll make it worse. And absolutely have someone help you when you arrive so you don't hafta drive anywhere. You'll be fine with a little help

Old 01-31-2008, 10:08 AM

42 posts, read 188,207 times
I'm sorry that you go through this. As others have said, see your doctor. I know it's hard to be objective when you're feeling this way, but as mentioned previously, your drive to the airport is more dangerous than the flight. Also, there are millions of flights worldwide every month and seldom do you hear about problems compared to all the car accidents that happen all the time. Also thousands and thousands of planes are de-iced daily with no problems Try to keep this in mind.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:53 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,504,836 times
Tara, I know the feeling. My first flight was several years ago and it was on a small, private plane. EWWWW, don't ever do that. I had never been on a commercial plane and was absolutely terrified when we had booked a flight. I was in a panic for days before the trip, just like you are. I didn't go to the Dr., but that's a good option for you if you don't feel you can handle the stress.

I had to get myself settled down. I use pills for motion sickness even in a car. I made sure I took one and the whole package came with me. They made me so sleepy that I was able to relax for most of the trip. I made sure that I looked straight ahead and concentrated on people. For instance, I wasn't fond of the ramps so I just kept looking at the people ahead of it, then at the stewardess's friendly smile, etc. Whenever I felt scared, I would just keep praying. I have no idea whether that is something of interest for you, but I found comfort in it. I made sure to close my eyes and lean back during take-off and landings, etc. I survived and have enjoyed flying ever since. Good luck and let us know what you did for comfort.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:08 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,956,624 times
Actually.....have a drink or two with the Xanax and you'll sleep like a baby!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:15 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,909,735 times
Thumbs down Pills and BOOZE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Actually.....have a drink or two with the Xanax and you'll sleep like a baby!
That is absolutely horrible advice! I know someone who mixed her Xanax with Alcohol and ended up in the emergency room with heart palpatations! Prescribed drugs under a doctors care are safe but do not mix them up as your Doc advises!!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:40 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,500,606 times
Thanks' ya'll I got some xanax from my doc, I took half a pill last night to see how it would make me feel and I think half a pill will help me manage just fine.. I just need something to take the edge off. I can't drink lol because of the hole in my heart it causes severe palpatations. Even a sip and I'm down for the count!! Okay welp hopefully the xanax will do its job and I can RELAX!!

Old 02-02-2008, 11:04 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,568,824 times
Excellent advice, ALL! I've always loved to fly and I realize that I'm truly lucky that I can enjoy it. Tarastomsgirl, I sure hope you enjoy your flight; we're pulling for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel