Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 12:15 PM

2,213 posts, read 1,856,260 times

Advertisements

Would be interesting to see if they can make this work.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/maryanngeorg...d-t#.mhJ2PGg8l
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 12:37 PM

30,793 posts, read 18,570,431 times
I hope they are able to make things work! I paid $375 roundtrip from NYC to London via Norwegian in January, but this effort by Ryanair seems like things could go even cheaper if you book at the right time/right way!

Old 03-16-2015, 01:03 PM

556 posts, read 951,439 times
I wish them well, but will stick with the legacies for now, both for the level of service and the security of having a larger network to accommodate irrops. I do look forward to the threads complaining about how awful the service was on a $50 trans Atlantic flight.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
I wish them well, but will stick with the legacies for now, both for the level of service and the security of having a larger network to accommodate irrops. I do look forward to the threads complaining about how awful the service was on a $50 trans Atlantic flight.
Hey, you'll hear no complaints from me for a transatlantic flight from hell that I paid $50 for!

Old 03-16-2015, 01:24 PM

2,213 posts, read 1,856,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Hey, you'll hear no complaints from me for a transatlantic flight from hell that I paid $50 for!
Agreed! I think the less you are invested in trip the less likely you are when something doesn't go as expected.

My sister and I just got back from Abu Dhabi and Dubai after snagging one of the error fares. While we did have a good time, the trip didn't live up to what we were expecting in terms of a trip to the middle wast. I think that we weren't expecting Dubai to be so westernized in terms of the stores, shopping, etc... I was impressed with many things there but for the most part it was no different than being in a city like Miami in terms, of beaches and shopping, plus most interactions we had with the people weren't a friendly as it should have been. But I'm not that upset because it cost so little. If I had spent nearly $1000 to go on this trip I would have been much more upset that it wasn't the experience I was expecting.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:42 PM

^^Great points! And I'm so jealous that you got in on those error fares; I always seem to just miss them. Some friends were able to take advantage of those deals as well.

But its precisely because I'm spending so little money, comparatively, that I'm willing to take things in stride. Note, comments about hellish experiences on budget flights should be taken in context. Indeed, there are plenty of problems on the traditional airlines as well. I've had massive delays with Delta, US Airways, and American, due to everything from mechanical issues to flight attendants not showing up to other non-weather-related issues. If there's going to be a risk of poor service, I'd much rather deal with that on a budget airline where I'm realizing massive savings vs. on a traditional airline where I am not. Now, one of the great things about traditional airlines as @mpheels pointed out is that they typically have a larger network with which to accommodate hiccups. From my experience, however, many budget airlines' networks, while not as extensive always, are extensive enough where delayed/canceled flights won't mean absolute hell for travelers. For instance, on my return flight from Oslo to NYC on Norwegian, we were scheduled to have a 15 hour delay due to mechanical issues on one of their Dreamliners. Thankfully, we were able to leave more or less on time as they were able to get another plane (a Dreamliner, which I was pleased by) over to us with little delay.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:28 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,375,863 times
Horrific/no service, no legroom, no frills flights may work for the under 3 hour flights they have across Europe. I'll pay a normal fare to get treated like a human for an 8h+ flight, thanks.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:07 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,241,462 times
So $21 one way ... how much with taxes and fees?

How much to use the airplane bathroom?

Do passengers in steerage have to bring their own toilet paper?

Old 03-16-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
So $21 one way ... how much with taxes and fees?

How much to use the airplane bathroom?

Do passengers in steerage have to bring their own toilet paper?
I'm expecting taxes and fees to be very reasonable each way depending on what European airports Ryanair departs from via this scheme (for London to NYC, for instance, they'll get cheaper taxes/fees if they fly out of Gatwick vs. Heathrow). As I mentioned in my earlier post, I paid $375 TOTAL flying from NYC to London in late January via Norwegian Airlines (granted, I had to buy two round-trip tickets to make get that price; one from NYC to Oslo and the other from Oslo to London).

Moving on, if the Ryanair deal will be anything like Norwegian, you don't have to pay anything to use the bathroom and the bathrooms are fully stocked and clean. Indeed, if it will be anything like Norwegian, you only pay extra for food/drinks, checked luggage (you get to bring up a carry-on bag up to 20 pounds or so and one personal item), and reserved seating. Not a bad deal for those prices.

As for space in general, if Ryanair uses/configures Dreamliners like Norwegian does for its transatlantic flights, people of normal size should be very comfortable

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 03-16-2015 at 07:27 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 07:14 PM

13,257 posts, read 22,999,595 times
Will I fly them? No.

But I look forward to their entry into the market because they will hopefully push fares lower in many markets just like Norwegian has and Wow! will likely over time. The legacies typically don't quite price match the long haul LCCS, but they do often have to knock prices down 40%+ from previous levels to compete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel