Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:03 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times

Advertisements

We own over 300 soundtracks! lol! (Yes, I'm letting my geek flag fly!)

Nothing like listening to the majestic swell of an orchestra as you're coming around the bend and catch sight of a beautiful lake or mountain peak! Braveheart! Star Wars! Apollo 13! Field of Dreams! From action/adventure to romantic to ethereal, we cherish long drives as an excuse for our music marathons!

It even helps with the mundane things... or areas where we had to really pay attention to our surroundings.

For example, we were listening to Fellowship of the Ring (first of the Lord of the Rings movies) and the music for the Uruk-hai (big monster types) came on just as we were navigating through a mountain pass filled with huge 18 wheeler trucks! It just cracked us up and made it fun, helping us through a nerve wracking part of the drive.

You'll see what I mean if you just listen to the first minute of the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L62xmlYrDnY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:54 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times
Default Yes, I feel your pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I told a friend at work last week: "If you ever hear of me taking another long car trip, I give you orders to send me to a Psych Ward!"

Is it my age? 64? I just can't do it anymore!

Last week, even though I said I would never do it again, I drove from Las Vegas to Tucson and back, and on returning, halfway back, I was tempted to abandon my car, and call for a helicopter! Oh the torture, and the unending boredom!

It didn't help, driving back at night, with night vision, and seeing patrol cars parked in the ditches with their lights off ready to pounce on me!

Yes, I would consider doing it again, but! 100 miles south to Laughlin, spend the night there, 120 miles south of there in Havasu, spend the night there, 100 miles to Phoenix, spend the night there, then 116 miles to Tucson, with a possible overnight stay in Casa Grande! Coming back, same routine! Now let me see, we're looking at a 10 day to 2 week trip?

How about you? What triggered it, you're saying: No more long Car Trips! Or, you broke your promise, did it again, and kicked yourself for doing it?
Funny, I see this thread as I just got back last night from a round trip NC to TN. One hour into the trip I started getting sleepy. Three hours into the trip felt like we'd been on the road at least 19 hours. I wanted to pull over at a rest stop and sleep for awhile.

Then, I was totally unprepared for the EXTREMELY curvy, twisty roads with no shoulders through the mountains of NC (not sure if it was the Smoky mountains or Appalachian?). OMGosh, I'd never been so worried about the possibility of a car having stopped or stalled around one of those curves and it would be too late to stop by the time I see them. Then it turned dark and starting raining while we were in the midst of the curvy mountain two lane roads. I was probably driving 20 miles an hour, if that. Took us forever to reach our destination.

I kept thinking what possessed me to do a road trip? Long, long drive and you don't get there fast enough and I get sleepy. I used to love road trips but I've done so many that at this point in my life, I keep telling myself that I don't like them anymore. Yet, I find myself doing it again....

Old 03-10-2015, 03:08 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
no, the longer the better

Old 03-10-2015, 08:10 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
I'll do a one-day car trip no problem, but I don't like losing two/three days each way with driving. At that point I would probably fly unless it was for an extended stay.

I like listening to audio books in the car especially murder/mysteries.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:40 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Funny, I see this thread as I just got back last night from a round trip NC to TN. One hour into the trip I started getting sleepy. Three hours into the trip felt like we'd been on the road at least 19 hours. I wanted to pull over at a rest stop and sleep for awhile.

Then, I was totally unprepared for the EXTREMELY curvy, twisty roads with no shoulders through the mountains of NC (not sure if it was the Smoky mountains or Appalachian?). OMGosh, I'd never been so worried about the possibility of a car having stopped or stalled around one of those curves and it would be too late to stop by the time I see them. Then it turned dark and starting raining while we were in the midst of the curvy mountain two lane roads. I was probably driving 20 miles an hour, if that. Took us forever to reach our destination.

I kept thinking what possessed me to do a road trip? Long, long drive and you don't get there fast enough and I get sleepy. I used to love road trips but I've done so many that at this point in my life, I keep telling myself that I don't like them anymore. Yet, I find myself doing it again....
Your post made me laugh.....That's my husband.....he yawns going down the driveway for our 8 hr road trip after 9 hrs of sleep!!!! Your post sounds like our road trips coming home in the dark after an 8 hr car ride to Tennessee....and watch out for deer.... Some of those roads are dangerous!!!

Old 03-11-2015, 12:47 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
I think if I did say that.........................I'd have to move from Texas.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:23 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
You chop up an eight hour road trip into five overnight stays, that's why it drives you crazy!
That was my thought as well. If I wasn't sightseeing along the way, I would do the OP's drive in a day or one overnight.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:36 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
I drove 3,700 miles from Alaska to Michigan in May and then again in September a couple of years ago. Both times took around 6 days, long long days of driving driving and more driving. Faced with the chance of making the journey again I declined enough is enough. However for vacation this summer we are road-tripping from Michigan to Washington this time though there will be 2 of us driving so hopefully it shouldn't get to be so much of a chore.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:41 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I drove 3,700 miles from Alaska to Michigan in May and then again in September a couple of years ago. Both times took around 6 days, long long days of driving driving and more driving. Faced with the chance of making the journey again I declined enough is enough. However for vacation this summer we are road-tripping from Michigan to Washington this time though there will be 2 of us driving so hopefully it shouldn't get to be so much of a chore.
That made me think of one year when we were in Costa Rica, there was a couple from Alaska who DROVE there for the winter..talk about a road trip from hell

Old 03-12-2015, 04:03 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,707 times
Vegas to Tucson is one of those routes that bypasses everything interesting about the Southwest.
I like road trips in California and Utah but in general I am over most long haul road trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel