Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 06:06 PM

483 posts, read 660,270 times

Advertisements

Hi ya'll.

Me and husband are moving back home to Houston, TX from Seattle, WA. We are packing in a POD but for the rest of the stuff we had to rent a uhaul trailer. I really didn't want to want to have to tow a trailer, but we are going to have to.

We plan on taking I5 down all the way through CA and then hitting I10 to go into Texas. We are trying to avoid winter weather and mountains, so taking I80 or going through the north parts of AZ and NM didn't seem ideal.

I drive a Super Crew 4WD 2010 F150 and we are renting the 4x8 trailer, I doubt it will be over half full, we are only a little bit short on space. Is there anything I should be concerned about? What about Grants Pass and whichever pass you come into CA over?

I've never towed anything before and am quite nervous. My husband is driving his Forester, so its just me and the dogs in the truck. We plan on taking 6 days, so going 50-55mph isn't a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 07:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,918 posts, read 58,721,368 times
Load pickup with significant weight in rear.
Use a Tandem axle trailer with BRAKES!!!!!

BRAKES.!.!
leave a MILE of space
go SLOW downhill.
Never / NEVER make sudden movements of steering or brakes.

Practice. (on hills, Seattle has plenty )
Do Not use overdrive (if you have an automatic) LOCK OUT overdrive when towing.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:15 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,102,340 times
The most worrisome conditions are likely to be the hills between Roseburg Oregon and Grants Pass, then the Siskiyous on the Oregon/California line (Siskiyou Summit is the big pass.) If possible, try to time that part of the trip for the late morning to early afternoon, so that overnight freezing (if any) has time to thaw. While the Siskiyous (between Ashland and roughly Weed or even Redding) can get snowy, I've actually had more scary moments with black ice in the lower Oregon summits, so, again, give the day time to warm things up.

Not knowing when you're leaving, but if the weather turns freezing (use various online reporting sources) you can detour out to the coast and take 101 down into California. If you take, say, Oregon 38, which runs from I-5 out to Reedsport, the drive time to, say, the Bay Area, is lengthened by around 4-5 hours, so not negligible, but not a deal-breaker either. I will sometimes take CA 20 from 101 over to I-5 or else you can continue down 101 to the Bay Area then cut back over to I-5 for the run through the valley.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:50 PM

We are leaving on Sunday. So hopefully we will miss the chance to get some nasty weather. Although I know it can still happen, we plan to watch the weather.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:53 PM

We do not have snow chains, are we going to have to carry them to cross the passes even in good weather?

Old 11-25-2014, 08:49 AM

27,955 posts, read 40,000,382 times
I am guessing in good weather chains will not be required. In vehicles under 10,000 gvw adequate tires, or traction devices are permissible. If you have good aggressive snow tires they appear to work in lieu of chains.

A 4x8 enclosed trailer will be fine. If possible put heavier items towards the front. Or in front of the trailer axle. Small trailers are more difficult to back. To back hold the bottom of the steering wheel and turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go. Small inputs are best. Any trailer under 3,000 pounds does not need trailer brakes.

The other thing when pulling a trailer is to plan ahead, look ahead and picture where you want to be.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:40 PM

Thanks! I know I'm probably just being overly cautious, but let me tell you, learning to drive somewhere with no mountains what so ever(East Texas) to suddenly be going over 4000ft+ peaks is very intimidating. I always tell my husband mountains are one of the most terrifyingly beautiful things I've driven in.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:25 PM

503 posts, read 1,211,382 times
In the trailer, put the heaviest weight over the trailer wheels. Not in the front or the back of the trailer. An F150 can pull that easily. Be more concerned with braking. Going down steep hills but the transmission in low. Make sure to check your oil/antifreeze/tranny fluid.

When you pull in to stop/rest or whatever try to position your truck so you can drive away without having to back it up. Make your turns WIDE. If you don't your trailer may hit something. Go slow...

When you first get the trailer practice driving with it empty. Rent it a day early if you can and practice.

Retired construction guy here drove countless pick-ups pulling heavy trailers.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:12 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,102,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
Thanks! I know I'm probably just being overly cautious, but let me tell you, learning to drive somewhere with no mountains what so ever(East Texas) to suddenly be going over 4000ft+ peaks is very intimidating. I always tell my husband mountains are one of the most terrifyingly beautiful things I've driven in.
Then add a day and go down the coast. I-5 through the central valley in California (especially south of the Bay Area) is also a bit of a racetrack, and you still have the Grapevine to deal with entering the LA area.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:12 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,398,782 times
Repeating what others have said about loading the trailer. Put your heavier items on or in front of the axle. You should have around 60% of your weight in front of the axle. Put the lightest things behind the axle. If you load the trailer wrong it will fishtail (sway) at higher speeds and potentially become uncontrollable. U-Haul trailers have surge brakes built-in, but be cautious with braking and leave extra room until you get used to it.

Swing wide on turns! The trailer will turn in tighter than the truck when you turn.

Avoid backing up if you can. If you know that you will need to back up with the trailer then practice it first. It is counter-intuitive: the trailer moves in the opposite direction of the truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel