Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:10 AM

1,601 posts, read 3,004,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
We fly a couple times a year with SCUBA gear: regs/computers/masks in a carry on, other crap in a checked bag, if we chose to bring that 'other dive stuff'.

As we do some off the beaten path dive destinations and often on a live aboard, rental regs/computers choice is often limited or of suspect quality.

It is becoming a PIA, and as long time divers of 30+ yrs it is understandable on the initial high dropout rate due to ever increasing airline luggage hurdles.

If I could drive to Saba or Lil'Cayman or Tobago, even if it took days, I would...but I can't drive there.

Golf? We love that too, but I am a 15 HDCP with my junque or a club's rental stuff, either way.
GL, mD
Yeah, that's what we do too -- carry the regs, computers, and masks and check the rest, praying that it makes it to the destination. People just don't understand that it's so expensive to rent, and when your life depends on it.....well......

And when you figure out how we can drive to the Cayman Islands or Roatan, please let me know! I'll be figuring out how to fit everything we own into carry-on luggage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
People who have to fly to get to the nearest ocean actually own scuba gear?

I am joking by the way, but that is a horrendous example, how many people travel with scuba gear? Almost no one, even to scuba destinations. Better example of large/awkward luggage common on vacations: golf clubs. Much more common than scuba gear.
Many, many, many people take their own scuba gear to scuba destinations. I'm not even a hardcore diver and I take mine, but really serious divers always take their own. And yes, we fly to the best scuba destinations because the best destinations off the Texas coast are on live-aboards and I'm not going to do that. But we do have places to dive all over the state so we do have scuba gear.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:03 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,800,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
Every airline should allow one bag free...you are going on vacation! Unless you are a day trip, you're bringing clothes and toiletries. More than one, fine, charge.
Many people flying aren't going on vacation. They travel for work and business.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:07 AM

17,153 posts, read 13,115,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Being 6'8", it would seem JetBlue has just made the list of airlines I will never fly with.
Who will you fly with, then? I can't think of a single airline now that doesn't charge more for extra legroom now. I think it's a ridiculous policy. You can't help your genetic makeup. For the first time, I'm grateful I'm a shorty: just 5'2" tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Unlike the silly gasoline boycotts, the consumer could really screw with the airlines if we all took organized action to completely boycott airlines with these greedy policies.
It would be great, but it's not possible, so this will continue unless the government steps in and makes the airlines cease and desist somehow. I don't see that happening either.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:19 PM

3,487 posts, read 9,486,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
I can fit everything I own into carry on luggage. Don't understand why so many people bring so much crap with them on vacations.
Yes times a million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
You can carry SCUBA gear and toiletries and clothes in a carry-on bag? Wow. I must have really been missing something all these years.
If your hobby is SCUBA diving I am pretty sure paying an extra $20 for a checked bag isn't going to prevent you from putting food on the table. People like me, who rarely check a bag, have been subsidizing the checked baggage people all along. Now you'll just have to pay for the service you use.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:39 PM

6,777 posts, read 6,071,807 times
I'm suddenly much less likely to take JB. I'll still fly JB, but I won't go out of my way anymore. They've lost that special place in my heart.

If SW starts charging for baggage, I'm going to quit flying.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:42 PM

218 posts, read 339,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That's why you have carry on. (And some airlines are charging for that, too! )
Yes there is carry-on but without free check-in bag some cheaters are packing oversized bags as carryon and causing delays on flight or checking in at the gate.
So unfair...

Old 11-20-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Yes times a million.

If your hobby is SCUBA diving I am pretty sure paying an extra $20 for a checked bag isn't going to prevent you from putting food on the table. People like me, who rarely check a bag, have been subsidizing the checked baggage people all along. Now you'll just have to pay for the service you use.
No, if you'd read my earlier post, I fly United when possible and get to check bags for free!

Old 11-21-2014, 07:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,374,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Southwest still has 2 free bags
For now. They also typically are more expensive and their FF program has the least value due to their limited routes and lack of affiliations with foreign carriers. You do pay for those bags, just not in the same way.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,374,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Yes times a million.

We seldom check a bag, even though we get three each. The only exception is coming back from wine country where we check three cases each to save shipping costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel