Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:35 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,840,404 times

Advertisements

He should be able to get a sense of the flight fullness somewhere. If it's tight, you can rethink it and if it's wide open, then maybe that will ease your mind a bit.

Where do you live now and is there a reason for going to Asia?

Significant savings, sure, but $1,800 is still a lot and I'm confident you could get confirmed tickets somewhere else for that or less and still have a good time (without the worry). I'd save this adventure for when the kid's a bit older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 07:43 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,578,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
He should be able to get a sense of the flight fullness somewhere. If it's tight, you can rethink it and if it's wide open, then maybe that will ease your mind a bit.

Where do you live now and is there a reason for going to Asia?

Significant savings, sure, but $1,800 is still a lot and I'm confident you could get confirmed tickets somewhere else for that or less and still have a good time (without the worry). I'd save this adventure for when the kid's a bit older.
Thank you. He says he is sure we would get on one flight or another. He usually is good in doing some home work before saying things, so, I do think I should respect his opinion (though I am not comfortable).

We are traveling from Toronto (Canada) to India. Well, to be specific its to south India. He is saying, there are a lot of options of flying into Europe and then we can fly to any city in India (and then take a domestic flight, if we dont get the direct flight to the destination).

Yes, there is a reason for going now. My dad. We need to go.
I called a few travel agents and they all say it would be appr $1350 upwards return per person.
My husband is saying he will arrange for all of us o travel in $1350 instaed of per person. Is that even possible?

Is there a way for me to know how to check standby (in terms of price etc)?

Edit: $6500 which I had mentioned was checked 2 months ago. Looks like the prices came down: I just called the travel agents this morning and they say $1350 upwrads is what I am looking at today.

Last edited by Maila; 06-03-2014 at 08:17 AM..

Old 06-03-2014, 08:22 AM

19,460 posts, read 27,942,042 times
How about a compromise? He flies standby. He and baby fly stand by, while you fly with a booked ticket because it's your father. If he runs into problems getting on a stand by flight, then he books tickets and pays up.

I'm not saying any of this is the 'best' or 'right' thing to do, but you've stated he does his homework, knows what he is talking about, and you trust him. So compromise. Baby will be fine with him.

Edited to add: I don't have kids, so the idea of baby flying with Daddy seems just fine to me (though the idea of baby on such a long flight gives me a migraine.)

Old 06-03-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
How about a compromise? He flies standby. He and baby fly stand by, while you fly with a booked ticket because it's your father. If he runs into problems getting on a stand by flight, then he books tickets and pays up.

I'm not saying any of this is the 'best' or 'right' thing to do, but you've stated he does his homework, knows what he is talking about, and you trust him. So compromise. Baby will be fine with him.

Edited to add: I don't have kids, so the idea of baby flying with Daddy seems just fine to me (though the idea of baby on such a long flight gives me a migraine.)
See, I was also thinking this. Maybe I should offer a compromise. Also, my return date to work is fixed back home in Canada. I dont want to be stuck in airports and miss work (what, so many people being laid off as it is).

I dont mind him flying with her alone at all. I am just more concerned about her. So far in the past, she would always sit on my lap when we take-off. She is afraid of loud noises etc and she feels more secured (i think so) in my lap than on him. So I am thinking its going to be very hard for him; that and to entertain a 3 year old for God knows how long.

But to be honest, I know him. he made up his mind, he is going to ask all of us to go stand by. Even if I fight, I know he is somehow going to convince me in the end.
Dont get me wrong, he is a very nice person. Since he does his home work and believes we will be fine, he wants me to go along.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:52 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,462,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
All, I am going to travel stand-by along with my husband and a 3 year old in September to one of the Asian counties. I am not comfortable with this set up at all as I really want the whole family to travel together, specially since its a long flight/commute.
But i dont have a choice. my husband made up his mind we will be traveling stand-by.

What are the things I should be prepared for? Also, the check-in baggage, how much am I allowed if I am traveling stand-by?

Please help me out; I am getting nightmares thinking about this.
If I was a passenger I'd be getting nightmares too. Your husband sounds like an assclown. Your child is going to be separated from you, and that puts them next to an innocent passenger on a long damn flight.

Totally not fair.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If I was a passenger I'd be getting nightmares too. Your husband sounds like an assclown. Your child is going to be separated from you, and that puts them next to an innocent passenger on a long damn flight.

Totally not fair.
Thank you for your opinion. Maybe you are not a parent yet.
My husband is not an assclown, if he came across that way to you, I guess i didnt project him properly (and that would be my mistake). He is just trying to save money and I am just looking for suggestions as to how to cope with this.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:02 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,462,920 times
Quote:
My husband is not an assclown, if he came across that way to you, I guess i didnt project him properly (and that would be my mistake). He is just trying to save money and I am just looking for suggestions as to how to cope with this.
I am a grandparent, and a traveler who would not ever fly standby with a 3 year old child. Your husband is saving money at the expense of the other travelers who paid full price.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I am a grandparent, and a traveler who would not ever fly standby with a 3 year old child. Your husband is saving money at the expense of the other travelers who paid full price.
Again, thank you for your opinion. If you have anything to help me out here, I am all ears.
Please refrain from causing more pain and hurt than what I am already going through.
It does not matter what I think. Decision has been made and I have to stick with it.

So please, if you can help it, try not to cause more pain and more guilt than what I already am going through.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:11 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,472,841 times
Quote:
Again, thank you for your opinion. If you have anything to help me out here, I am all ears.
Please refrain from causing more pain and hurt than what I am already going through.
It does not matter what I think. Decision has been made and I have to stick with it.

So please, if you can help it, try not to cause more pain and more guilt than what I already am going through.
Quote:
Trying to save money at the expense of making other family members suffer is not exactly "not an assclown" either. We (have a kid) make two-three international trips every year (vacations) and prefer to spend the money on confirmed tickets because it also buys us that peace of mind.

People very often lose sight of everything else in their quest to save money. IMO, you can try this if you are single or without kids, but when the situation changes (now that you have a 3-yr old), you have to adapt and adjust your priorities.

Also, I do not agree that 3-yr old is young to travel internationally. My son has been traveling since 2 and has been a great traveling companion. Of course, each kid is different but there is no harm in trying it out.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
Trying to save money at the expense of making other family members suffer is not exactly "not an assclown" either. We (have a kid) make two-three international trips every year (vacations) and prefer to spend the money on confirmed tickets because it also buys us that peace of mind.

People very often lose sight of everything else in their quest to save money. IMO, you can try this if you are single or without kids, but when the situation changes (now that you have a 3-yr old), you have to adapt and adjust your priorities.

Also, I do not agree that 3-yr old is young to travel internationally. My son has been traveling since 2 and has been a great traveling companion. Of course, each kid is different but there is no harm in trying it out.

Good luck!
Thank you for your opinion. My DD is a great travel companion. Though I am not too sure how that would be if only one parent were with her as we always traveled togetehr after she was born. We have been traveling international with her since she was 8 months old. We have not thought of it as getting other passengers suffer, as so far, she had behaved excellently in flights.

We do understand its going to be tough on us. At this point I have to do what I have to do. I need to visit my dad (i repeat, I need to). In my humble opinion too, we should travel on confirmed tickets.
I guess I am at this juncture because my husband and I have different opinions about this. Since he works with airlines, he is surrounded by people who regularly travel stand-by (yes, with young toddlers). So, I guess he has a better feeling about this than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel