Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 04:18 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,459,527 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I've never done the "name your own price deal" on priceline. Next month I want to go on a long weekend trip. My cousin is getting married, and I would love to be at her wedding. I finally found a good price on a flight on Southwest. Need to fly out of Orlando though (I live in Tampa) Ended up not doing a combo package since it ended up being more money. Southwest is never part of those package deals anyway. Plus now I don't have to worry about baggage fees.

I found a good price on a rental car through hotwire, but of course anything less expensive is good.

I was thinking of asking for $15 a day which after taxes and all those other fees is like $100, which is exactly what I was trying to find. It's for a Friday-Monday rental car. I am getting the rental car in Hartford (or technically Windor Locks) CT.

Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 04:35 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,215,539 times
Check out betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com for hints on winning bids.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:50 AM

16,413 posts, read 30,426,947 times
I would pass on Priceline for rental cars.

Hertz has a $14.95/ day weekend rental promotion. Add in a AAA discount or a Southwest discount and you should save another 10%..

I have been renting cars over the past few weekends for $41 including taxes and fees at OFF-AIRPORT sites (lower taxes).

If you are not driving a lot, Enterprise is offering a $9.99/ day three day weekend but it has a 100 mile restriction.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:40 PM

30,766 posts, read 18,476,434 times
Speaking generally, my limited experience with Priceline for car rentals (at least for name your own price) has me in agreement with the immediately preceding, albeit somewhat dated but still relevant post. I just booked a car for a trip later next month. As I was searching for a good deal (I'm leaving from the NYC area), I looked through Priceline's regular booking system, and found a 24 hour rental (mid-size SUV) for a total of $40 from LGA. Yes, from LGA! Because the regular booking price for that vehicle (it was via Enterprise) was only $40, which includes fees ($29 without the fees), I thought that I'd try the name your own price option for an even steeper deal. First, I tried $15, then $20, then $25 (at that point, counting fees, my $25 bid would have been just a couple of dollars under the $40 deal available through the regular booking process). All bids were for a 24 hour rental for a mid-size SUV from LGA. All bids were rejected, and I received a notice suggesting that I bid $45, which, after fees, etc., would've been put considerably above the $40 deal.

This was a clear example of an instance of Priceline's name your own price deal not living up to its reputation (as far as car rentals go). Perhaps the system works better in smaller cities where the general rate, on average, is much cheaper than NYC, but this was certainly a bad way to start out.

Btw, I ended up booking from the Enterprise website for the same $40, including fees, rate. I am more familiar with this method and can cancel for free until its time to pick up the car (I'm not sure if I can do the same with Priceline's regular booking method as I didn't get that far).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel