Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,605,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
If it is your first trip to China, I would suggest Beijing+Shanghai. They have all the famous things you want to see and are convenient for foreigners.

October is the best season for most places in China. There could be a lot of rain in west China (such as Chengdu) but it is generally sunny in the east at that time. Hong Kong can still be hot in October, but not extremely so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I too agree that the Beijing and Shanghai are the best places for first visitors in China. Another place that you might want to consider is Xi'an (with its famous Muslim Quarter) and the nearby Terra Cotta Warriors site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
There really is almost nothing of interest in Beijing, if you've been to Houston you've seen Beijing. Outside of the Forbidden Palace, Beijing has practically no traditional Chinese architecture or neighborhoods left. And because it is a desert the landscape is bare and dusty. Please use your travel money to go to a more interesting destination. (and let's not even talk about the choking smog).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Don't listen to the above poster. Beijing has PLENTY to see. From the famous cultural/historic sights, exotic night-markets, just observing daily life in China, seeing an acrobatic show or Peking opera, trying some authentic cuisine, seeing the 'new' Beijing with it's glitzy towers, neon and nightlife. If you only have one week, I would choose either Shanghai or Beijing. With Shanghai you can take trips to Suzhou and Hangzhou: beautiful historic cities. The weather should be generally amiable at that time of year in either place.
If it was a choice between Beijing and Shanghai I might lean towards Shanghai, possibly because Suzhou or Hangzhou have been places that I've always been interested in(Suzhou is the sister city of Portland and I've met people from there). I'm not sure though if I'd find the neighborhoods of Shanghai more interesting than Beijing or not and while I'd make the sort of requisite trips to the Great Wall and Forbidden City, though it's not that exciting to me to dodge tourist hordes... I'd have to do more research into what else is there and where I could around Beijing or Shanghai. I could possibly manage both Shanghai and Beijing. Xian is somewhere I've always been interested in, though I'd have to find a cheap flight from one of those cities to throw it in the itinerary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post

In China, Hiking Juizgaigo, HuangShan or the (short) Tiger Leaping Gorge hike (the one at the end of the bus ride, not the 3-day trek through the gorge) are good. Also worthwhile to wander all over the Dragon's Backbone if you are in the area.

In Taiwan you can climb Snow Mountain, hike around the many mountain and hill parks in and on the outskirts of Taipei. Near Gold Mountain in the north there is a hiking trail over a very scenic mountain I've always wanted to walk, but never had the time.

That is Typhoon season. You may get a LOT of rain. It may still be hot and muggy with afternoon thunderstorms near the coast (HK, Taipei, Shanghai) I don't know about the inland cities. Typhoons I've been through in HK and Taiwan generally last about 1-2 days. If it's a direct hit the transit systems may shut down for a half-day to a full day. As long as you stay in the city during the storm you will be perfectly safe. Don't go into the hills, or near the coastal cliffs though, where floods and mudslides are a serious threat during the storm.

If Taipei has a downside, it is that it is a very rainy city. It can basically pour down rain for a full week, or a month. The city is designed to handle it and everybody goes about their normal business (night markets, etc.) but it can be miserable to walk around in all day.

Taiwan. Hands down.

Thanks. That's an interesting alternative. My dad was in Taiwan in the Air Force in the 70s and then has been there a lot of business, so he's always mentioned that he's found it an underrated place(the mountains are fairly impressive, I've heard, and the museum in Tapei is amazing). It's something to consider, because, it'll be easy to get there from Japan, and I'm assuming Taiwan wouldn't be very touristy. Though because of the time were going, I don't know if Taiwan would be the best place to go during typhoon season--maybe if we went later in October.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
My experience is only with Shanghai and the surrounding area, where I have been several times - but it makes a good vacation and you can include the surrounding area like Suzhou (highly recommended). Very user friendly public transportation as well, easy to get around on your own even for a westerner. It can get hot and humid in the summer but I think October should be temperate. If you have enough time, say a couple weeks, you can do both Bejing and Shanghai as they are connected by high speed trains. Xi'an is a bit off the track but still doable maybe in a grand loop. For only a week, I would make it only one city - like Shanghai and the aforementioned lake towns like Suzhou which are very pretty and historically significant.

Be aware that you need a visa.

I would also advise posting this into the Asia world forum in citydata, as you will get more informed opinions (sadly, this particular forum has turned into "how do I drive to Cleveland from New Jersey" type threads).
Shanghai and Suzhou region plus maybe a couple days in Xian(via plane) sounds fairly enticing. I need to read up more about where else I could take daytrips from Shanghai.

In part the visa need is a reason why I didn't visit China before when I went to Asia, but this time we're prepared to deal with that if we go.

I actually did post this in the Asia forum originally, but it seemed like responses were pretty light so it got moved over here.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:20 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,096,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Thanks. That's an interesting alternative. My dad was in Taiwan in the Air Force in the 70s and then has been there a lot of business, so he's always mentioned that he's found it an underrated place(the mountains are fairly impressive, I've heard, and the museum in Tapei is amazing). It's something to consider, because, it'll be easy to get there from Japan, and I'm assuming Taiwan wouldn't be very touristy. Though because of the time were going, I don't know if Taiwan would be the best place to go during typhoon season--maybe if we went later in October.
Taiwan has changed A LOT since the 70's, or so I'm told. If you are a US passport holder (or Japanese), you don't need a visa for up to a month. The National museum lives up to the hype, but there's so much else to do in Taipei, I forget it's there. I think I've visited twice.

I don't think there's a bad time to go to Taiwan. I've been there in all seasons. Typhoon season is winding down by that time, the peak is July-September. I was there for Morokot, and it wasn't a big deal in Taipei. We actually drove down the East Coast the day after it hit. Of course, I'm biased, because I'd live in Taiwan if I could (and hopefully I will, someday.)

It is a tourist destination for China and Japan, but you will not see many westerners, and almost not western tourists. You might need to be a bit more independent than usual. Getting around is very easy, signs and public announcements are in English as well as Mandarin, but you'll want a guidebook to find the highlights. Food and transportation are inexpensive and great. Lodging is a little pricier, more than the mainland, but probably not as high as Japan.

Even thought I talked about other Chinese cities, I'd recommend Beijing if you just have a week.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:47 PM

588 posts, read 799,829 times
I have organized a handful of tours to China from the US during the past ten years. Assuming that you will not be traveling with someone who speaks English, and since you only have one week, I recommend having Shanghai be your home base. From Shanghai, you are near other cities which make for good day trips. For example, you would be 1 1/2 hours by fast train from the city of Hangzhou's scenic lake area called West Lake (XiHu). You would also be 1 hour by train from the city of Suzhou with its silk museums and lovely classical gardens.

Within Shanghai, there are many things so see including the night view from the Bund (Waitan), a bustling shopping area for souvenirs and snack shops and tea shops called ChengHuang Miao in Chinese, the neon lights of Nanjing Road, and a restored area that has many restaurants and pubs in an area called XinTianDi.

You can travel to Beijing in five hours using a very fast train. Most of the important things to see in Beijing can be seen in one day because they are close together in the center of the city. Start the refurbished street called Qianmen, walk through Tiananmen to the Forbidden City, then walk ten minutes to another famous street called WangFuJing for dinner.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:16 PM

844 posts, read 1,664,827 times
Do you speak Chinese?

Old 05-25-2013, 09:39 AM

14,994 posts, read 24,030,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Do you speak Chinese?
You mean Manderin...or Cantonese if he goes to Hong Kong.

You can get by with English only, as it is quickly becomming a second language in China particularly among the young. Hong Kong obviously no problem at all. In Shanghai I ran into lowly train ticket counter people (ones that deal with locals, not tourists) who spoke english.
Taxi's are still a bit difficult, but no big deal.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:16 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,292,932 times
My "vote" is for Beijing and Xian. I went to both last year and it is very doable in a week. Of course, I love history, so seeing the Terra Cotta Warriors was on the top of the list, along with all the "must see's" in Beijing. I will also say this: I was very upset for staying longer. I did a "last minute," I have time and free miles, where haven't I been trip when I went. Plus, I have a close friend who lives in Beijing. I didn't think I was going to like it all that much and I'll tell you: I WAS WRONG.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:15 AM

844 posts, read 1,664,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
My "vote" is for Beijing and Xian. I went to both last year and it is very doable in a week. Of course, I love history, so seeing the Terra Cotta Warriors was on the top of the list, along with all the "must see's" in Beijing. I will also say this: I was very upset for staying longer. I did a "last minute," I have time and free miles, where haven't I been trip when I went. Plus, I have a close friend who lives in Beijing. I didn't think I was going to like it all that much and I'll tell you: I WAS WRONG.
Living in Beijing is horrible, visiting Beijing is perfectly fine.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:14 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,588,234 times
They're all awesome places. I've spent some time in Beijing and Shanghai, so if you want a glimpse of more traditional China, those cities would be better than Hong Kong. Make sure to bring along an oxygen canister.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel