Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:22 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times

Advertisements

dDon't know where to start. Family of 8.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:14 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
I have never been but it sounds wonderful. We looked at it once and one big issue was the grought there and the low water.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,101,841 times
We did a houseboat on Powell for a long weekend in the fall and it was a blast. I could see it being an awesome way to spend a full week, especially if you also rent some sea kayaks and/or a runabout for some water skiing. That said, it is VERY expensive. The boat rental alone is pricey and those boats drink a ton of gas that they charge a fortune for at the docks. Be forewarned, but don't let it stop you from a once in a lifetime trip!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
We did a houseboat on Powell for a long weekend in the fall and it was a blast. I could see it being an awesome way to spend a full week, especially if you also rent some sea kayaks and/or a runabout for some water skiing. That said, it is VERY expensive. The boat rental alone is pricey and those boats drink a ton of gas that they charge a fortune for at the docks. Be forewarned, but don't let it stop you from a once in a lifetime trip!
Looks like major bucks, perhaps a long weekend. Who did you use?

Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,101,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Looks like major bucks, perhaps a long weekend. Who did you use?
I can't remember...it was 13 years ago and some other folks in our party made the boat arrangements. The boats were in a marina near Page, AZ.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:41 AM

My biggest problem is getting my family to come up with dates, probably too late already

Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
I've never rented a houseboat there, but I've boated many times on Lake Powell. I can't speak to Lake Meade. Although, people who've been there tell me its hotter and less scenic than Powell is. I've observed many houseboaters. I know a friend or two who own their own houseboat that they keep on the Lake. Let me make a few observations that may be helpful:

1. The previous commentators are right. Its very expensive. I'd only consider it if I had several families "chipping in".

2. The level of the Lake can vary dramatically. I've run aground in the Lake in small 19 foot boat before. The Lake is usually at its highest in late June. That's when I'd try to go. The main channel is marked with buoys, but often they are a mile apart. The river does plenty of bending and twisting. You need to be very careful you stay in the main channel. The number on buoys will tell you how many miles upstream you are from Glen Canyon Dam. If insurance on the boat is an option, make certain you purchase it.

3. The scenery is very likely like nothing else you've seen. For someone in the East or Midwest is a lifetime adventure.

4. The area is very remote. Be careful you are not injured or that you don't require the services of a doctor. At most points on the Lake, you are literally hours away from any medical attention. Most of the Lake is surrounded by steep red rock cliffs. There is little habitation along most of the shore of the Lake.

5. The Lake can get crowded during the summer in places and you may be surprised at the amount of boat traffic. Give right of way to other vessels when required. Watch for diving flags and water skiers. If you are operating the houseboat, consider taking a course in boating safety--if you haven't had one.

6. It can get pretty hot in the summer. Take precautions to avoid heat stroke. You can sunburn in minutes and it can wreck much of a vacation.

7. Alcohol and boating are not a good mix. More than one boater on Lake Powell has run over someone or caused a collision because he had too much to drink.

8. Even with buoys, directions can be confusing at times. My best advice is before you go, the operator of the boat should carefully study a map of the Lake.

9. This shouldn't be your first boating trip. Take another shorter trip first and see how you like it. This trip will involve hours on the water moving slowly from one point to another. I'd like that, but not everyone would. Also, I don't know if you have any experience operating a boat. If you are going to operate a houseboat, I'd recommend you get a little experience somewhere else first.

10. Avoid going on holiday weekends like July 4th if you can. The Lake just gets too crowded.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:18 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
We used to do it every year. The boat you get is pretty basic. We parked on a beach, and had family members with ski boats. Kids sleep on the top of the boat. You don't cruise the lake much in the house boat, because the gas is so expensive. We had up to fifty with us sometimes.

Lots of fun. But the last day is a hassle, because you have to turn in the boat clean.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:36 PM

Thank you for your observations, so far I can't get anyone to tie down dates so I am probably out of luck

Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,221 times
I've always noticed that Costco offers houseboat vacations. Though I've never rented one, it seems worth checking out since most of Costco's packages are considerably less -- for a whole lot more -- than retail. http://www.costcotravel.com/Specialt...ENERIC01092013
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel