Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,828,610 times

Advertisements

Or do you just get a safe hamburger from a restaurant .... or something similiar.

I shall share. When I was in the service, I did a year in Korea. For the first 3 months, I thought I had contracted some type of horrible disease. I literally had a bout of ..shall we say, Ok, when I hit the can, it was like my body was in purge mode. I even mentioned it to my mom one time, teling her I thought somethng was wrong with me. I should also mention that me and some friends in Korea would go downtown after work and get hammered at some random club. This invariably meant I was gonna eat some chicken on a stick.

http://kissmykimchi.com/wp-content/u...streetfood.jpg
(Chicken is top middle. Wait, that's a hot dog with cuts in it.. I thnk.... Man, that whole pile of stuff brings back memories.)
Here's chicken on a stick.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oRHxGVLhe_...0/DSC01246.JPG

There was a guy right by the gate, just BBQ'ng like a fiend. Man, they smelled good! I'd buy a few for our drunken stumble/walk back to the dorms. I had a friend one time, he told me "How you eat those? You know they pick the sticks up off the street that people drop, right?" and I said "Wha....?" Needless to say, I happened to stay out one night past curfew and saw it with my own eyes.

Here's a pic of what a seafood market would approximately look like at Osan Air Base in 1999.
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...Seoul-6357.jpg

And another market.
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/47/193...f5bdbffdc4.jpg
You probably have noted a distinct lack of ice or refrigeration.

In Japan, I've eaten lots of street food. (LOVE YOU TAKOYAKI!!!) But never the ramen. The ramen cart has like .. 10 bowls max, I'd imagine. They feed people for cheap, too. If I remember right, the going price at the time was 300 yen, while a real shop charged 500-600 yen. The ramen shop has a bucket. Full of water. Which they rinsed the bowls in and, hey, Clean Bowl for You, Now. ERmmmmm... no. No thanks.

I had a friend in Bangkok try to give me something from a street vendor once. I declined. Forgot what it was. It didn't really matter. It wasn't touching these liips.

I also have never eaten a hot dog from a cart. But I will, one day before I die.

Last edited by 70Ford; 03-06-2013 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 03:42 PM

271 posts, read 600,393 times
Embrace? This is something I seek out. I have never gotten ill.

This is the true soul of a city or a country, the street vendors.

Oh you should really try a hot dog, falafel or a knish.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Sherri View Post

Oh you should really try a hot dog, falafel or a knish.
I went to New York once on business and had a sandwich at the local deli. They gave me a sandwich that looked like this: I mean, that is one awesome looking sandwich. It's like a McDonald's sandwich picture, but it looked that in real life.
http://www.mainstbageldeli.net/images/pastrami.jpg
I ate there, like every day. Man, New York delis should be like, EVERYWHERE. I know it's not street food, but I had to shout out to New York delis.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:05 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Sherri View Post

Me too.
Look for a stall/vendor that's surrounded by locals ... you can't go wrong and less likely to get sick.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:13 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
...I also have never eaten a hot dog from a cart. But I will, one day before I die.
I ate hot dogs from a cart in New Orleans once. The "hot dog guy" looked like he slept in his clothes and shaved twice a month. Anyway, he was in the right place at the right time so I bought a couple. I lost a good five pounds that night <errrrrp>. It was definitely a "dirty water" dawg.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:17 PM

I had a friend who's friend ran one of those "Funnel cake" trucks. I took a look at his oil. Looked like it came out of a '42 Buick. I always get the turkey legs. Never got sick from the turkey legs.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:24 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
...I always get the turkey legs...
Okay, there's another seemingly inedible "street food" - those turkey legs. We went to an outdoor festival a few years back and lots of folks were walking around with a Fred Flintstone turkey leg. They looked good so we all bought one - they were "smoked turkey drumsticks." We just about ripped our teeth out trying to eat the things - talk about tough. We finally gave-up and tossed them in the bin. We wondered if they might have actually been dog chews.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:29 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
I'm a vegetarian and when I travel, I absolutely try to eat the local fare in as much as I can.

I'll never understand people who travel to another state or region and then eat at Mc Donalds or get wildly happy when they see a fast food or chain restaurant.

I don't eat that junk at home. I never did even when I ate meat.

So yes I do eat like the locals - at a stand or a restaurant.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:38 PM

Just an FYI.... foreign McDonald's actually have some awesome stuff, sometimes..

If you’ve never had a shrimp burger, do so as soon as you can. It is (unsurprisingly) one of the best fast-food burgers you’ll ever have. The Japanese Ebi Fillet might even rival an In-n-Out burger, though that might be pushing things a little bit.
The Japanese McDonalds Menu (I’m actually lovin’ it!)

Japan also had a Chicken Tatsuta burger, which is unbelievably good. It's super crispy chicken with a delicious sauce. I don't see it on their menu at the moment, though. Here's a pic.
http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bpho...HK41UagA/l.jpg

Chicken Tatsuta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and a recipe. Seriously, it's Good. It's like Chik-fil-A good.
Tatsuta-age Chicken

Old 03-06-2013, 05:27 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Absolutely. Anyone that bypasses all street and local food while traveling shouldn't travel at all. I've gotten a little bit sick before from eating street food in foreign countries in Asia, and that's simply because I didn't use any discretion at all when eating. If it looked good I ate it. And ya know what? I would trade in being a little bit sick for access to eat some of the most amazing foods ever every single time. Basically people need to stop being so whiny and clean. Humans have been on the Earth for 1000s of years and sanitary conditions for millenia weren't like what they are today in the Western world, yet people still lived.

It absolutely boggles my mind when American tourists travel abroad, refuse to eat the local foods, and only eat at chain restaurants or hotels. Just stay at home where you belong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel