Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 07:36 PM

5 posts, read 15,780 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to say our ages but I have been talking to a girl online for about 3 months now. We use skype to talk so I know she's not a dude pretending to be a girl or something. We really like each other and trust each other. We recently have discussed about meeting in person, I'm from the USA and she is from a country in Europe. On a side note, I have been to 5 countries in Europe already and I love it over there! One problem I have about meeting her is I will be the one traveling to her and it will be my first time on a trip by myself!

The second problem that I have is: She told me that I could stay at her house for free (so basically I only pay for the plane ticket). I'm a little unsure about this because in all reality, she could totally blow me off and I would be all alone in a foreign country having no clue what to do or where to go. If this happens, I don't know how easy it would be to find a hotel and rent a car on the spot because I have never done it before. So I don't know if I should just stay at a hotel and rent a car in advance or just trust her word and stay at her house and hope nothing goes wrong.

I could use any advice and/or suggestions. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 12:17 AM

18,409 posts, read 19,045,166 times
research the area, figure out what and where you would go if you were not meeting her. I would rent a hotel for a few days, then stay a few days. staying at anyone's house for too long is hard on for both parties

Old 09-07-2011, 05:24 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,567,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
research the area, figure out what and where you would go if you were not meeting her. I would rent a hotel for a few days, then stay a few days. staying at anyone's house for too long is hard on for both parties
Agreed, stay in a hotel for the first few days, you can extend if needed and hire a car from the start so you can get around if she has other things to do in the day.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:07 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,137,801 times
Don't stay at her house! You are compromising chastity by doing so (unless she lives with her family).

Old 09-09-2011, 10:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Use a 'guest home directory' $10 / night worldwide. (been doing this for over 25 yrs, over 40 stays this yr alone)

1) you get to know locals
2) get a bed and breakfast and usually dinner (dutch)
3) get local perspective and inside info on FREE stuff to do (usually local foods too)
4) gain new friends
5) Very VERY safe (profile of every host . credibility checks)
6) Often get to help others
7) Always feel special and fortunate enough to have a good (GREAT) stay.

DO NOT stay with an internet friend ??? You may wake up to her husband pointing a gun at you. (Happened to a (foolish) friend just last week... wasn't pretty)

Old 09-09-2011, 11:17 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,625,524 times
What about staying at a Hostel? i've never done it but i've heard it's a great way to meet other travelers.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
If she wants you to stay at her house and you've been talking by skype for 3 months you should know each other fairly well by this point, why are you having second thoughts about staying at her house?
You could play the gentleman and bring up the topic of which hotel in town would she recommend next time you skype, if she absolutely insists you stay at her house then dont offend her by refusing the offer as she might take your refusal to accept her offer the wrong way..
Sounds to me like a European hottie wants to jump your bones Resistance is futile..

Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,086,837 times
I would book a hotel for a few days and see where it goes.

Years ago I had a friend who met a guy over the phone (this was pre-Internet). He worked either for another division of the company she was with or for one of their customers or suppliers--the details are a bit foggy 30 years later.

Anyhow, as part of their jobs they communicated daily, and became friendly, then flirty. He lived someplace in the Midwest, she was in the Northeast. They decided after six months or so that they should meet face-to-face.

They had exchanged photos, but the one he sent was a blurry head shot.

Long story short, he flew out to see her, and when she met him, ugh. He was 150 pounds overweight, considerably older than the photo suggested, several inches shorter than he had told her he was, rotting teeth, poor personal hygiene, just a train wreck as far as his physical appearance went.

From the moment they met she wished he had never come. And the fact that he was staying at her apartment gave her no escape from him. It turned out that when you took the phone line away from between them, they were completely incompatible. She couldn't wait for him to leave three days later.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:23 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Use a 'guest home directory' $10 / night worldwide. (been doing this for over 25 yrs, over 40 stays this yr alone)

1) you get to know locals
2) get a bed and breakfast and usually dinner (dutch)
3) get local perspective and inside info on FREE stuff to do (usually local foods too)
4) gain new friends
5) Very VERY safe (profile of every host . credibility checks)
6) Often get to help others
7) Always feel special and fortunate enough to have a good (GREAT) stay.

DO NOT stay with an internet friend ??? You may wake up to her husband pointing a gun at you. (Happened to a (foolish) friend just last week... wasn't pretty)
Stealth, can you provide a link? I was getting too many hits on this, for horses, too!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:47 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times
Hotel. That way, you have a built in excuse to leave ASAP if you can't stand her. After all, you can always not sleep there...don't go cheap on this...because what if she is a skank, and you just can't wait to get away...oh...whoops...no where to go....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel