Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 06:20 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,226,286 times

Advertisements

Does Toledo have a closer relationship with Detroit or it's fellow Ohio cities and metros?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 08:52 AM

1,202 posts, read 2,673,841 times
I hear that Toledo and Lima are breaking up, but things are looking up for Dayton since it got new bridgework ….

Old 03-11-2019, 09:58 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,638,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Does Toledo have a closer relationship with Detroit or it's fellow Ohio cities and metros?
Detroit.

Citizens from Cincinnati, Dayton, and Columbus do not know Toledo is in the same state. Don't know about Cleveland.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:59 AM

896 posts, read 1,857,273 times
Definitely Detroit.

The geography dictates it. Within our own state, Columbus and Cleveland are 2 hours away. Detroit is only 1 hour away...the southern parts of metro Detroit being only about 45-50 mins.

Pretty much all Toledoans and Northwest Ohioans go to Detroit Metro to fly anywhere.

Our Mud Hens baseball and Walleye hockey teams are farm teams for the Tigers and Red Wings. In a state where Ohio State is religion, half of people in Northwest Ohio are Michigan fans.

Economically were pretty similar to Detroit, being rust belt cities. I work for a major Toledo employer, anyone that knows anything about Toledo could guess it within 3 tries. At least 25% of our employees actually live in metro Detroit and just drive here.

The landscape/scenery here in this corner of Ohio....the rural areas basically are like adjacent Indiana. And the cities Toledo, and to a lesser degree Lima, Findlay, Sandusky, etc. are kinda like miniature Detroits...but not nearly as bad off.

I personally dont feel connected to Detroit. My family (grandparents) were from Cleveland. My sports loyalties lie there and Columbus as well (Go CREW). I do like Detroit though and find myself up there much more often than other areas of Ohio.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:19 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,493,851 times
I left 30 years ago but everyone in my neighborhood followed the Tigers, watched Detroit TV stations and listened to Detroit radio stations. Always considered Toledo the southernmost suburb of Detroit.

Growing up there I went to Cleveland once to attend an Indians game. But countless trips to Detroit for concerts and ballgames.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:28 AM

148 posts, read 460,436 times
I agree about Toledo's connections: Detroit comes first, for the reasons TobiasC mentioned. Toledo is also Ohio's closest city to Canada.

Second depends on one's perspective. I've noticed a lot of Toledoans have established family and business connections with Cleveland, follow Cleveland's pro sports (over Cincinnati, for sure), and its European immigrant culture. However, many younger Toledoans have made connections in Columbus - they visit and move to Columbus in far greater numbers than they do to Cleveland or Detroit. They aren't OSU fans or anything; Columbus is Ohio's young, hip growing city, so they flock there just like young Clevelanders.

Even though it is connected by an interstate and an old canal, Toledo seems to have the least in common with Cincinnati and Dayton, which are seen as 'southern' up here.

Toledoans generally see themselves as the oddball, or ignored step-sibling of the 3Cs. Newspaper editorials regularly complain about the state ignoring the city and region. Among Ohio cities, Toledo is most like Cleveland, it admires is jealous of and sometimes resents Columbus, and doesn't compare itself much with Cincinnati. Dayton and Akron are Toledo's smaller sister cities - similar economic histories, size, politics, ethnic makeup.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:45 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,884,587 times
My only experience in Toledo was my 4 years of undergrad at UT.

With regards to people I met that weren't from Toledo, here was how it stacked up for various local regions.

1) Cleveland metro - students from urban and suburban Cleveland schools had a HUGE presence at UT.

2) Rural Northern Ohio - lots of students from towns ranging from 500 people to small cities with 50,000 people. The general area these students came from was north of I-70 and west of I-71.

3) Akron-Canton metro - surprisingly met a lot of students from this area as well despite there being a fair number of similar universities (Akron, Kent State) nearby.

4) SE Michigan - very large/populated region so there was a decent presence of Michigan students but the presence felt smaller compared to students from more northern areas of Ohio. I'm not sure what type of incentive UT offers to prospective students from Michigan regarding financial aid and out-of-state tuition so less incentives likely led to the smaller presence.

5) Cincinnati-Dayton-Columbus - Definitely a significant presence of students from these areas but also notably smaller than the northern Ohio presence.

I guess most of this should make sense considering more students would come from areas geographically closer to the university. I guess the only surprise is that I don't recall meeting a single student from SE Ohio while at Toledo.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:14 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,857,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
My only experience in Toledo was my 4 years of undergrad at UT.

With regards to people I met that weren't from Toledo, here was how it stacked up for various local regions.

1) Cleveland metro - students from urban and suburban Cleveland schools had a HUGE presence at UT.

2) Rural Northern Ohio - lots of students from towns ranging from 500 people to small cities with 50,000 people. The general area these students came from was north of I-70 and west of I-71.

3) Akron-Canton metro - surprisingly met a lot of students from this area as well despite there being a fair number of similar universities (Akron, Kent State) nearby.

4) SE Michigan - very large/populated region so there was a decent presence of Michigan students but the presence felt smaller compared to students from more northern areas of Ohio. I'm not sure what type of incentive UT offers to prospective students from Michigan regarding financial aid and out-of-state tuition so less incentives likely led to the smaller presence.

5) Cincinnati-Dayton-Columbus - Definitely a significant presence of students from these areas but also notably smaller than the northern Ohio presence.

I guess most of this should make sense considering more students would come from areas geographically closer to the university. I guess the only surprise is that I don't recall meeting a single student from SE Ohio while at Toledo.

UT '03 and I too noticed everything you mentioned in 1-5. Can't speak for UT and SE Michigan but I know Eastern Michigan offered in-state tuition to kids in Ohio as far south as Lima (where I grew up).

I lived on the same floor at Carter Hall sophomore year as a guy from Cambridge, Ohio and a guy from Portsmouth, OH. But that was two people in 4 years from that part of Ohio.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:18 AM

148 posts, read 460,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
UT '03 and I too noticed everything you mentioned in 1-5. Can't speak for UT and SE Michigan but I know Eastern Michigan offered in-state tuition to kids in Ohio as far south as Lima (where I grew up).

I lived on the same floor at Carter Hall sophomore year as a guy from Cambridge, Ohio and a guy from Portsmouth, OH. But that was two people in 4 years from that part of Ohio.
In-state tuition, state licensing, etc - That's where the state line matters in migration patterns - while Toledo resembles Detroit and is connected with transportation, entertainment and commerce, the universities tend to feed young Michiganders into Detroit from , and and Ohioans into Toledo. I notice the same patterns at BGSU. The cost of traversing that boundary is too high, and if you seek a professional license in one state, in teaching or nursing, or connections to local businesses through internships, then it makes sense to stay in-state. That helps explain why Ohio's and Michigan's regional state universities are state-resident heavy - 70-80% usually.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:51 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,999,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodeca View Post
In-state tuition, state licensing, etc - That's where the state line matters in migration patterns - while Toledo resembles Detroit and is connected with transportation, entertainment and commerce, the universities tend to feed young Michiganders into Detroit from , and and Ohioans into Toledo. I notice the same patterns at BGSU. The cost of traversing that boundary is too high, and if you seek a professional license in one state, in teaching or nursing, or connections to local businesses through internships, then it makes sense to stay in-state. That helps explain why Ohio's and Michigan's regional state universities are state-resident heavy - 70-80% usually.
In-state tuition is sometimes offered across the state line. I just checked and Eastern Michigan offers in-state tuition to Ohio residents. UT offers in-state tuition to Monroe County, Michigan residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo