Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 13,342 times

Advertisements

I'm currently going to pursue an internship in downtown Toledo off Cherry (inside the I-75 loop). I am looking for apartments that are fairly close to the area, but still in a safe neighborhood. I have narrowed down the search to Oregon (eastside), Rossford, Walbridge, Northwood, and Ottawa. Does anyone have any input on these area's safety? I have grown up in the downtown Cleveland area my whole life, so please offer constructive ideas I understand metro areas are never great.
Also does anyone have any recommendations for cheap (really don't need quality) apartments for rent in any of those areas? I have a couple ideas but could always use more!Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 06:30 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,888,744 times
I'm a UT student and don't know too much about the suburbs you are looking for apartments in but I know there are a number of cheap and reasonably safe options not too far off I-475 in West Toledo. You'd be closer to the UT campus as well as various entertainment/nightlife options. You'd also be no more than 10 minutes from Downtown Toledo.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 PM

84 posts, read 167,166 times
Of the places you mentioned, Oregon is one of the closer places to downtown that is considered one of the safer neighborhoods. There arent many places to live in Oregon in terms of rental apartments but you can search online for them. I think you mean Ottawa Hills which is closer to UT. That's a more expensive neighborhood I think. Dont know how far it is from Cherry. There are some places available near UT but I dont know what the neighborhoods are called and not everyplace around there is considered that safe. Just depends.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:35 PM

896 posts, read 1,857,876 times
Well first off, if youre going to be working in the downtown area, would you consider living, downtown? People who dont know anything are going to try to tell you its not safe. I know first hand that its perfectly fine. If you dig around, maybe come to town, look at some places downtown, search craigslist and other sites, etc.....you could find an affordable place downtown thats probably good quality, and actually a cool place to live at that. Youd have your job/internship literally down the road from you, maybe even within walking or biking distance, and have restaurants and clubs and bars and sports and music all within walking distance of you. Thinkkk about it!

If that doesnt appeal to you........my next suggestion would be to consider an apartment in the Old West End which is also a cool historical neighborhood with huge old homes, many divided up into apartments. You could find an affordable one bedroom for sure. The Old West End is adjacent to downtown. You would still be very close to your job.

If you dont like that, Id suggest areas of West Toledo. You said "Ottawa". If you were talking about Ottawa Hills, thats an expensive wealthy suburb which I doubt your looking for. If you meant the Ottawa area of West Toledo as its described in some neighborhood contexts....I would definitely suggest this. You could find an afforable apartment in areas off of Sylvania, Central, Secor, Douglas, Monroe, etc. These areas are all near the Franklin Park mall with all of its popular shopping and eating destinations, and the Westgate area, as well as close to the UT campus. You still wouldnt be anymore than a 10 min drive from your internship downtown.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:29 PM

227 posts, read 627,362 times
I would recommend either downtown or the Old West End as well. Having lived in Cleveland myself I will try to give you comparisons to each of the areas in question.

Oregon/Northwood = totally Parma ...both have the same feel... they both have a lot of industrial.
Walbridge = this is hard... someplace really small with a lot of railroad tracks probably in Lorain County...
Ottawa Hills = Bratenahl (neither are going to have affordable student housing)
Ottawa/West Toledo = anything from Westlakish to Lakewoody... it is a big area. If you want West Toledo near campus probably Old Orchard area.
Downtown Toledo = Downtown Cleveland.
Old West End = Ohio City, Tremont, some Cleveland Heightsishness.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post
Old West End = Ohio City, Tremont, some Cleveland Heightsishness.

I want a neighborhood like those, to manifest in the areas around Adams St. toward Collingwood.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 PM

6,601 posts, read 9,003,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
I want a neighborhood like those, to manifest in the areas around Adams St. toward Collingwood.
I really like Adams street and really hope it can start to take off. Unfortunately I don't think that can happen until the economy starts to improve a lot more.

OP, I know I would be looking at living right in Downtown if I were you. Maybe someplace like the Commodore Perry apartments.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:28 AM

I have heard the accommodations at the Commodore Perry were disappointing; no first hand knowledge.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post
I have heard the accommodations at the Commodore Perry were disappointing; no first hand knowledge.

What do you mean by disappointing? Ive never been inside them myself but a friend of mine told me some of the units are really nice.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:56 AM

I could have my buildings mixed up. I had a friend that shopped for apartments downtown and I have a hard time remembering which ones he loved and which ones he hated. Basically, I don't really know what I'm talking about on this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
View detailed profiles of: