Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 04:18 PM

38 posts, read 347,211 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on possible move to Toledo? Any experience with University of Toledo?

Pros vs Cons on the area? Neighborhoods, Crime, Shopping, Schools, whatever you know about UT and/or Toledo I'd like to hear your experiences.

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2006, 06:27 PM

976 posts, read 3,861,936 times
I would check into the suburb of Sylvania, Ohio just north of Toledo. Many good areas for shopping, great schools and is very safe. Also check out Monroe.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:05 PM

434 posts, read 3,178,471 times
I grew up in Toledo but left in the mid-80's right after high school. One thing that I noticed the last time I talked to a friend of mine in Toledo is how little the houses appreciate. My folks sold a fairly typical 3 bedroom house in a decent neighborhood for about $55,000 back in the mid-80's. When I checked the last time, similar houses on the same block went for about $100-125,000. So I wouldn't go out and get an interest only loan and hope to make any money off of the appreciation of your house.

But if you are moving in from out of town and have money for a nice down payment, you can get a house for $200,000 that would be $300-500,000 in other cities.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:35 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
A good friend of mine lived there for a while. He loved it and still talks about it.

But I do remember seeing a TV report on one of those shows like Dateline or 60 Minutes about some really, really bad racial tensions and gang violence in Toledo. Tabloid journalism? Maybe. But I would look before I leapt if I were you.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:18 PM

I really like Toledo. Driving up to there we would go through Toledo. There were nice views of the skyline from the bridge going over the river. Toledo has a very nice skyline. I think that some of Toledo's crime problems dont help because it is down the freeway from Detroit. But, having gone to Detroit and Flint many times, Toledo is no where near as bad. Urban decay and crime is everywhere in both Deroit and Flint. I talked to many people from Toledo, and they said that they really appreciated what they had in Toledo knowing the two cities that were north of them. I know Toledo has some of the highest investment in the Midwest. Its a changing city. Every city is going to have its fair share of crime problems. But in about a decade i really cant wait to see what Toledo will look like.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:49 PM

143 posts, read 873,355 times
I attend the University of Toledo but im not sure what you want to know about it. The campus is urban but the community most near the university is relatively upscale and because of that theres not much of an entertainment venue for college students within walking distance. Theres not much crime besides car breakins.

Westfield Mall on Monroe is perhaps the most vibrant shopping area. For entertainment theres some clubs and stuff downtown. The Toledo Art Mueseum just opened a huge expanison. If nothing interest you in the city your always in a comfortable driving distance to Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus, or Chicago.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:55 AM

38 posts, read 347,211 times
Thumbs up Toledo Experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
I attend the University of Toledo but im not sure what you want to know about it. The campus is urban but the community most near the university is relatively upscale and because of that theres not much of an entertainment venue for college students within walking distance. Theres not much crime besides car breakins.

Westfield Mall on Monroe is perhaps the most vibrant shopping area. For entertainment theres some clubs and stuff downtown. The Toledo Art Mueseum just opened a huge expanison. If nothing interest you in the city your always in a comfortable driving distance to Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus, or Chicago.
Hi and Thanks To All Who Responded about Toledo, Anyone?

Vader: Since you are now attending UT, is Toledo your home or would you consider staying there after graduation?

I've checked around a bit and it looks like jobs are not readily available. It could be the summer slowdown, or is it typical for Toledo?

I see that there is a lot of talk about building an arena and developing the waterfront. Also, the new glass museum should be wonderful.

I'm looking for a stable, safe, mellow area. Not noisy yet not completely lifeless.

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:42 PM

113 posts, read 524,875 times
I lived in Toledo 24 years, then moved to AZ in 2001.

The job market was very poor in '01, hence one of the reasons I moved. I just visited family in July, and they say the job and economy situation in Toledo is improving, slowly but surely, but is not that great still. Just looking thru the paper when I was there, there are plenty of retail jobs, like clerks at Meijer or Wal-Mart, or trucking, but other than that not much. Go to toledoblade.com and check out the job listings.

UT has a very good law and buisness school. A few of my friends from high school went there.

The waterfront development is still in the works, at least on the east side of the river. On the west side, they built a new ballpark and re-vamped the downtown some. Its alot better.

For safe stable areas, I would recommend Maumee or Sylvania. Stay away from the east side entirely, except Perrysburg or Rossford. West Toledo is ok too. If you dont mind living farther out, Bowling Green probably has the best nightlife. Its about 10 miles south of Toledo. Big problem with this area is get ready to drive everywhere. There is not alot of public transportation, that is readily available to use anyways.

This is just my opinion on the whole area, living there was OK, nothing to smile about. After moving to a big city you realize just what you are missing. One bad thing about Toledo, is its land locked pretty badly. There is Lake Erie, but thats not that great. You have travel to see anything major, ie concerts, shows, etc--occasionally they are in toledo though. Overall, I would say explore other cities before Toledo. There is much much more to see.

Last edited by Azrider; 08-23-2006 at 01:02 PM..

Old 08-23-2006, 01:42 PM

Toledo is not far from nice beaches along Lake Erie. Its better than living in landlocked Phoenix. I have heard from friends from Pittsburgh living in Phoenix the crime is getting out of control. The pollution is horrible and the meth problem is bad. I heard a lot of people are trying to get out because too many Californians are moving in making housing prices skyrocket and better schools for their kids. Honestly no place is perfect. You moved away from Toledo in 2001, much has changed im sure. Driving through there on the freeway it looks very nice. I stopped in the downtown and it was very vibrant and didnt have a dead downtown. I am getting very interested in all this new development going on in the city. Once you go through Toledo and head up to Detriot and Flint, you dont realize how good of a city Toledo is compared to other places out there.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:50 PM

113 posts, read 524,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Toledo is not far from nice beaches along Lake Erie. Its better than living in landlocked Phoenix. I have heard from friends from Pittsburgh living in Phoenix the crime is getting out of control. The pollution is horrible and the meth problem is bad. I heard a lot of people are trying to get out because too many Californians are moving in making housing prices skyrocket and better schools for their kids. Honestly no place is perfect. You moved away from Toledo in 2001, much has changed im sure. Driving through there on the freeway it looks very nice. I stopped in the downtown and it was very vibrant and didnt have a dead downtown. I am getting very interested in all this new development going on in the city. Once you go through Toledo and head up to Detriot and Flint, you dont realize how good of a city Toledo is compared to other places out there.
Why do you keep bashing Phoenix? Just because you dont like what I say about Toledo doesnt mean you have the right to bash where Im living now-- besides you dont even know, youve never been to Phoenix! Also, youve just "been thru" Toledo, and I lived there for 24 years! Yes all cities have their problems big or small but if you dont know about them or have never been there, please dont comment on it! This forum is for honest experienced opinions of cities--not sugar-coated or degraded way out of porportion--the way it shoulf be. Also, in this particular forum, Ohio! Some posts are negative some positive. I feel mine have been both. If you want to bash Phoenix go to the Arizona forum!

The only thing I do agree with in your post is driving thru Detroit and Flint after leaving Toledo.

BTW, on the "landlocked" thing-- I dont consider a 4 hour drive to an Ocean being land-locked--nor a 2 1/2 hour drive to the freakin grand canyon.... Theres lake erie yes, but its 12 hours to the nearest ocean in Toledo!!.... My apologies, this is not the proper forum for this. But I had to say it.

Last edited by Azrider; 08-23-2006 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo