Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,168 times

Advertisements

Moving from Baltimore, Maryland to Toledo, OH this August. Please help! We are looking at renting a home in the neighborhood between: Secor Rd/Avondale Ave/Searles Rd/Inverness Ave. In that little "box" of an area.

Our biggest question is, Is it Safe? We are looking for a good deal but don't want to sacrifice safety. Thanks in advance for your feedback, much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 05:49 AM

154 posts, read 605,836 times
It's been a while since I've been in that area. I don't remember it as a nice area, but things could have changed since the 90s. Others might have a more current opinion of the neighborhood.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:55 AM

5 posts, read 11,460 times
The box you describe is across from the southwest corner of the University of Toledo main campus. If you're business is with UT, it's very convenient location.

The neighborhood consists of small frame homes on tree-lined streets, mostly owner occupied. I drive through it occassionally, and it appears to as safe as any lower-middle class neighborhood. Residents sit out on their lawns and walk their dogs and kids around the streets. There may be some rentals available, but they aren't obvious. It might pay to contact a couple realtors in Toledo.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:18 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,112 times
Truthfully, thats not the safest of areas. No its not as bad as other parts of town, but many think because of its close proximity to campus that it is safe and its not. However, since the shooting death of Matthew Dugan at the former BP gas station a while back and this recent homicide on the other side of campus, theres been an increase in police presences around campus and surrounding neighborhoods. If you're comparing it to neighborhoods on the westside of Baltimore than yes its alot safer, but just safe in general than no.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:40 PM

227 posts, read 626,017 times
There are few places in Toledo that have the crime rate that is found in many parts of Baltimore, but it is still something you should research. YOU MAY FIND that there have been some notorious crimes committed in that area and you may also find a higher than average drug activity there... but I would not care to assess that... I dont personally think of it as dangerous...

I am a Realtor... As a Realtor I have to be careful not to steer people into one neighborhood over another (, especially by making commentary on crime rates), but, if you tell me (or just post on here) what you are looking for in a neighborhood, I (or we) can also make suggestions. I really don't mind helping renters get the perfect place... it helps me get loyalty over time, even though I have nothing to gain from it up front.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:50 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post
There are few places in Toledo that have the crime rate that is found in many parts of Baltimore, but it is still something you should research. YOU MAY FIND that there have been some notorious crimes committed in that area and you may also find a higher than average drug activity there... but I would not care to assess that... I dont personally think of it as dangerous...

I am a Realtor... As a Realtor I have to be careful not to steer people into one neighborhood over another (, especially by making commentary on crime rates), but, if you tell me (or just post on here) what you are looking for in a neighborhood, I (or we) can also make suggestions. I really don't mind helping renters get the perfect place... it helps me get loyalty over time, even though I have nothing to gain from it up front.
Why wouldn't you steer buyers towards neighborhoods? Isn't that half the point of contacting a realtor? (The other half being access to their knowledge of which homes are for sale and the home buying process)

Old 07-25-2010, 06:07 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Why wouldn't you steer buyers towards neighborhoods? Isn't that half the point of contacting a realtor? (The other half being access to their knowledge of which homes are for sale and the home buying process)
I'd guess federal law interprets telling the truth about neighborhoods as discrimination.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I AM NOT A LAWYER, but here is my basic understanding...

There seems to be a huge grey area... but one should be careful. If a client asks what neighborhoods I recommend, I can recommend away and often do. But, for instance, if middle-class white family with small children came to me and said they want me to find them a house in the area between Dorr St. and Nebraska Ave. around Detroit Ave. (largely accepted as one of the most notorious areas for poverty and gang activity...) I am not supposed to tell them to look at a different neighborhood. That is called steering and I could open my self up to a lawsuit... that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, usually subtle, quite often. The law suits usually come about when a Realtor encourages minorities in a protected class to look in a mostly minority neighborhood, even though they are asking to look at houses in a white/majority neighborhood...

In this case the person relocating asked about a specific neighborhood; I have to be careful not to say something like "No that neighborhood has a higher crime rate and you should look ever here". Not only because it could be considered steering, but because I am not an expert on crime rates. I recall hearing about some high profile crimes there... I know people that live there and have seen activities, but, I can only comment on what I know for sure... I can't make generalizations about crime rates... besides, I wouldn't feel unsafe there, so I don't really want to discourage the poster from moving there; I just want to make sure they are encouraged to understand fully what the crime rates and neighborhood dynamics are first.

Did that help or confuse even more?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:59 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
That explained it pretty well. It sounds like sometimes the realtor's hands are tied.

So for example, if somebody comes to you and says "I'm moving to toledo in 3 months and I want a neighborhood with a good elementary school, easy access to a park with a playground, and lots of trees" you'd be able to give a suggestion, correct?

Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
That explained it pretty well. It sounds like sometimes the realtor's hands are tied.

So for example, if somebody comes to you and says "I'm moving to toledo in 3 months and I want a neighborhood with a good elementary school, easy access to a park with a playground, and lots of trees" you'd be able to give a suggestion, correct?
Correct, but if they named a specific neighborhood I should not say disparaging things about it to try to get them in a different neighborhood. There are a lot of legal catch 22s in real estate, and, unfortunately, the profession has a less then great reputation and there are a lot of protections for clients and consumers that have been put in place for good reasons that often times just lead to confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo