Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:51 AM

25 posts, read 82,475 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in living carfree. I have yet to make the leap, but I'm looking for a place that would be suitable. I'm looking for a town/city that is west of Fort Worth.

One of my biggest concerns is that I would still be viewed as being dateable. I moved to the Austin area because several women live carfree here, but the city feels too big to me. I don't feel at home here like I have felt in smaller cities, or even rural areas.

I think that Abilene is about as big of a city as I want to live in. I really like the look of San Angelo, and I do prefer the semi-arid climate.

Since I'm single, I feel like a town of less than 5,000 would drastically narrow down my dating opportunities.

I've also considered San Marcos, New Braunfels, and Kerrville. San Marcos has a coffee house where some bicycle riding people hang out, but it is growing very fast, and so is New Braunfels. San Angelo looks older, and I like that, and it is not growing as fast, which is another plus.

So, what small town might suit a bicycle riding bohemian like myself? Does Kerrville have any coffee houses or health food stores? How about a farmers market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 10:11 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Have you considered Georgetown? Checked out the square and the central, older area of the city? A health food store is going to be going in behind Monument Cafe sometime this fall, as I understand it (locally grown foods - sort of an all week farmer's market). Cianfrani's has coffee and music. Southwestern University is right there. You could likely get around by bicycle pretty easily.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,134,303 times
Alpine?

http://visitorcenter.alpinetexas.com...127&Itemid=795

Old 07-25-2009, 12:13 PM

556 posts, read 1,564,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHand View Post
I'm interested in living carfree. I have yet to make the leap, but I'm looking for a place that would be suitable. I'm looking for a town/city that is west of Fort Worth.

One of my biggest concerns is that I would still be viewed as being dateable.
You mean dateable, but not line-dancing with your cousin dateable, huh? So, that will rule out some areas.

But seriously, I would second the notion of San Angelo -- very interesting little city away from the hub-bub. Has character and wide-open terrain to go with that arid climate. And I would also look into Alpine; I didn't get to explore enough of it, but it really did appeal.

My best advice would be choose a non-Interstate town! Less chance of a build-up of neon, concrete and chains like Cheddar's.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:22 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,038,533 times
San Angelo is a nice city, I lived there for a little way back in the 90's. You would probably like it there if you like a slower pace than the larger cities. When I lived there the singles scene was pretty decent for a city it's size. I live in Abilene and it's a nice little city too that's pretty comparable to the lifestyle in San Angelo. There's a few cool coffee houses here in Abilene where folks hang out and the last I heard the local farmer's market was still here, although I'm pretty certain it's only open on certain days and times. As far as bicycling goes, Abilene is not a very good place for that. I don't remember how San Angelo would rate in that category.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the information everyone! TTDave, that information about Abilene and San Angelo is nice.

Did I mention that Denton is a nice alternative to Austin, even though I don't really want to move there?

I went to San Marcos last night and hung out at Tantra Coffeehouse. The bars around the old square were filled with life too. I don't think that San Angelo has much of a transit system. I haven't seen a bus yet, or a bus stop. I did see bike lanes though.

Last year when I thought about San Angelo, I did think that it not have an interstate running through it was a plus. You are right Pontificator, that keeps it slower and slightly less commercial.

There's one town further east that I'm considering also, and it's actually in Louisiana. It's Lafayette. It is getting bright, that's not a good thing, but it does feel like a town still in some ways, and not like a city. All of my relatives except for my parents and siblings live 2.5 hours from Lafayette. My parents and siblings moved to northeast Texas, but they drive through Lafayette several times a year on their journey to visit with the rest of our family. So, that makes Lafayette seem like a decent choice for car-free living, for my situation.

Oh, and I kinda scratched Kerrville off the list. According to this site, the average age there is 40, and when I visited, I saw very few people in their 20's and 30's out and about around town on a Saturday. I only stayed for a couple of hours. San Marcos beats Kerrville for younger single guys, in my opinion.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,836,864 times
Waco should be a good option for you.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:58 AM

I lived in Waco for a month. It was OK. I did eat some delicious chinese food there, and the cajun resteraunt on the river is good too.

Does anyone know anything about the bus system in San Angelo? Is it good? Someone on these forums mentioned that it was better than average, for a town the size of San Angelo.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:15 AM

5,454 posts, read 7,759,493 times
If you want a social life and to live carless then you are pretty much where you need to be in Texas.

You aren't going to find many young single people in all those smaller towns in the hill country or points beyond because there really aren't the jobs there. Its mostly going to be older folks and married families.

If you want the Austin lifestyle in a smaller town then you should be looking at places like:

Boulder, CO
Fort Collins, CO
Boise, ID
Eugene, OR
Olympia, WA
Bellingham WA
Chico, CA
Las Cruces, NM
Santa Fe, NM
Flagstaff AZ

etc. etc.

Last edited by texasdiver; 08-07-2009 at 10:27 AM..

Old 08-07-2009, 10:30 AM

5,454 posts, read 7,759,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Waco should be a good option for you.
I live here and will tell you that bike commuting SUCKS. There are few if any bike paths and sidewalks that actually go places you'll want to go on a daily basis. Sure, there are nice bike paths along the lake and Cameron Park. But if you want to bike to the grocery and lock your bike, you'll find that sort of thing difficult.

I would also not want to be single in Waco. I'm a married teacher with 3 kids and for me Waco is fine. But I have noticed that young single teachers don't tend to stick around here forever. If they don't manage to get married off to other teachers they eventually depart...mostly for points north in the DFW area where there are lots of schools and a better singles life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas