Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:34 AM

3 posts, read 21,607 times

Advertisements

We are a family of five. We have two boys one girl. The oldest is 11 the youngest is 7. I am looking into a job with the Border Patrol in south Texas and would like to know if anyone can recommend towns that are good to raise a family and not be too far for commuting to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 08:36 AM

808 posts, read 3,647,825 times
South Texas is a huge region. Where would you be stationed?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:34 AM

not sure yet, probably around the del rio sector

Old 03-15-2009, 10:51 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,651,673 times
My son went to school with a couple of agents kids and we lived in San Antonio,its a long commute to me but the wife said it was worth it cause SA was safer and better education.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:09 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
San Antonio would be a pretty long commute to the border. What about McAllan? My husband travels that area for his job quite often and says McAllan seems pretty decent. We actually live North East of Austin so I, personally, have no experience with it. What about Corpus Christi or somewhere around there? My mom was born and grew up in Sinton, and also Corpus and they were close enough to make lots of day trips when she was growing up.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:22 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
San Antonio would be a pretty long commute to the border. What about McAllan? My husband travels that area for his job quite often and says McAllan seems pretty decent. We actually live North East of Austin so I, personally, have no experience with it. What about Corpus Christi or somewhere around there? My mom was born and grew up in Sinton, and also Corpus and they were close enough to make lots of day trips when she was growing up.
Your hubby travels from NE of Austin to Mcallen frequently? That's a pretty good little run (300+ miles) unless he flies! McAllen would be even worse!

If they are in the Del Rio sector, it would seem logical to live in Del Rio....but any of these are going to be a pretty big culture shock for a family from NJ!

Old 03-15-2009, 04:30 PM

it won't be much of a culture shock because we're familiar with the area. We have family in Kileen and I've been in Laredo. I'm aware that there are definately areas I wouldn't want my family to live due to crime. That's why I'm looking for a nice suburb, even if I have to drive 45 minutes to an hour to get to del rio area.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyfam View Post
it won't be much of a culture shock because we're familiar with the area. We have family in Kileen and I've been in Laredo. I'm aware that there are definately areas I wouldn't want my family to live due to crime. That's why I'm looking for a nice suburb, even if I have to drive 45 minutes to an hour to get to del rio area.
OK, that will make a big difference. I grew up 112 miles from Del Rio, but I haven't been to DR itself for 20+ years, so I don't have a clue what the city is like now. At the time I knew it, it would have been fine for living/raising a family.

We enjoyed going to Acuña to eat/drink (Ma Crosby's and Lando's) and just meander around, but I'm sure it has really changed since then.

It is so isolated that I can't imagine commuting from somewhere else. Even the outer suburbs of San Antonio would be 125-150 miles!

Old 03-15-2009, 05:33 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,202 times
http://forums.delphiforums.com/borde...Reading+%3E%3E

Old 03-15-2009, 07:52 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,398 times
Just my opinion, but you might just want to find out for sure where your going to be stationed first. I attended the academy in Artesia, NM. and declined employment afterwards because the post would have been in Lordsburg, NM. I did not place that area in my preferances. Just to let you know not to get your hopes up no matter how much they tell you that you'll probably get one of your preferances. Btw, not trying to be negative, just letting you know. I'd say if you can get posted somewhere near Las Cruces, NM. I think that town is more of a college town with decient living than most of the other border towns. El Paso is ok, but the border work is rough. If you do get placed in Del Rio the down side is going to be that you are no where near anywhere else to commute from. Uvalde, Brackettville, etc.... all about the same or worse than Del Rio, and San Antonio is way too far. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas