Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 20,078 times

Advertisements

hi all
I've been checking out this forum for awhile and was hoping I could get some help. My family and I are looking for small town not more then a half hour from Whitewright,we have family there. But not more then 40 min from McKinney, my husband is going to have to work and doesn't want to be far from a larger town. I am going to be a bit of a pain with what I'm looking for. I want a small town something where everyone knows you. Something that has a great town square. A little family owned food store, a place to eat and everyone knows you when you walk in. And good schools. Does this sound to unrealistic? I love the area but need help with the right town. When making such a drastic move I want to do it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 09:17 AM

714 posts, read 2,934,076 times
One town that I am looking at for my sister to move into eventually is Whitesboro TX. I drove through it a couple years ago and it looked pretty interesting. Of course, I didn't stay in it more than a few minutes, but I was impressed. I have looked for information, and based on crime, size, schools, etc, it may be what you are looking for. It looks like it is close enough to Whitewright and McKinney.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:56 AM

469 posts, read 1,452,290 times
I was born and raised in Van Alstyne, which is about 15 minutes north of McKinney on Hwy 75. Small town, under 3000, good schools, cute downtown with old buildings, lots of shops. There is supposed to be a Braums there sometime this year.
If you go ckeck it out, there is a place called the Yellow Rose - really good milkshakes!
Good luck!
Stephanie

Old 01-13-2009, 12:01 PM

59 posts, read 196,388 times
Are you going to be working in whitewright? i think its as small as you are going to get where people know each other, but i think whitesborois farther from whitewright then you may want to be. I grew up right beside whitesboro and yes its a great town where everybody knows everybody, a little too much i think.
I would check out Bonham, Tom Bean, Savoy and Bells or maybe even Howe. Howe is getting pretty big and they are very close to wrightwhit and a straight shot to plano, allen, mckinney and dallas for shopping. But I know Bonham has a nice town square a super walmart, great schools and a highway that will get you to sherman and denison too.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 20,078 times
Thank you all so far for your info... we want to try and stay east of 75. Van Alstyne I've heard good and bad. It is one of the places we are going to check out. We are also looking into Leonard, Dodd City,Trenton and Hickory Creek. If anyone has info on them that would be great. Living wise Bonham is a bit bigger then I was hoping for. Work wise... well my husband is going to be checking that out. My dad works for the dot so we are hoping to get in there until he can open his business down there. The main reason we don't want to be to far from the McKinney area. And he doesn't mind traveling to work if need be.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:29 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,239,653 times
Some random bits and pieces of info...

Bonham has a square but most of the stores are closed; cafes come and go, mostly go. There are some little stores and eating places out near WalMart. Very nice theater and steak house just south of town. However....The school ratings are the lowest in the county, the facilities (other than the elem. bldg) are the worst in the county. There have been some apartment complexes built in the past few years ....mainly to accomodate workers at the two prisons.

Trenton, Savoy, Dodd City, Bells....are have got very good schools, good facilities, safe atmosphere both in town and in the schools. Bells/Dodd/Savoy don't have a downtown much less a square. Trenton and Bells both have grocery stores. Trenton and Bells both have a number of nice homes and small acreages usually available. Be sure to see the new housing development near the new high school at Trenton (it's a ways out of town...you may have to ask directions).....same at Bells.

You might look at Leonard...it's a little larger than the others, has a square but not much on it - pharmacy, furniture store, post office, flower shop; decent schools, nice homes, a good grocery store, dollar store, sonic....also more crime than the others. Hickory Creek? It's pretty out there but it's not a town....just a cluster of a few homes.

All the towns you named now have a combination of 4th generation families and newcomers who are looking for their Mitford. Most of the sociall life revolves around the church and the school....if you get involved in either or both you will be accepted as part of the community.

Hope this is helpful.....if there is something specific you need info on, I'll try to help.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:59 PM

59 posts, read 196,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
Some random bits and pieces of info...

Bonham has a square but most of the stores are closed; cafes come and go, mostly go. There are some little stores and eating places out near WalMart.
Trenton, Savoy, Dodd City, Bells....are have got very good schools, good facilities, safe atmosphere both in town and in the schools. Bells/Dodd/Savoy don't have a downtown much less a square. Trenton and Bells both have grocery stores. Trenton and Bells both have a number of nice homes and small acreages usually available. Be sure to see the new housing development near the new high school at Trenton (it's a ways out of town...you may have to ask directions).....same at Bells.

You might look at Leonard...it's a little larger than the others, has a square but not much on it - pharmacy, furniture store, post office, flower shop; decent schools, nice homes, a good grocery store, dollar store, sonic....also more crime than the others. Hickory Creek? It's pretty out there but it's not a town....just a cluster of a few homes.

All the towns you named now have a combination of 4th generation families and newcomers who are looking for their Mitford. Most of the sociall life revolves around the church and the school....if you get involved in either or both you will be accepted as part of the community.

Hope this is helpful.....if there is something specific you need info on, I'll try to help.
Well put, Bonham is pretty small with a square its just spread out when they add the population and and the other small towns you mentioned do not not have a square, lucky if they have a traffic signal....But Gayle summed it up, try Leonard, but i would still say Bonham or Van Alstyne, I have family in both and goodness they know everyone and everything if you are wanting a small town with atmosphere. Good luck

Old 03-12-2009, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 6,705 times
If you live near or in Whitewright what is missing?
You will create your experience of a town based mostly on your own perception and what you truly make of it-Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas