Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2024, 04:55 PM

2,343 posts, read 1,739,096 times

Advertisements

Short question: what are the lat/long coordinates to Sam Baugh’s gravestone in the Rotan TX cemetery?

To get those coordinates, one way is if someone were standing at his gravestone, with your phone open and location services on, in the map app you’d press and hold on your location and the app (I use Google Maps) provides your coordinates. Then simply copy and paste that here.

If you paste these coordinates into your map, you’ll see that it is in the cemetery for
Rotan TX: 32.85943, -100.44136. But it’s not near Sam Baugh’s gravestone.

In March 2016, a couple of years after “Slinging Sammy” passed away, I was driving home from Houston to San Francisco and I stopped in to pay my respects. It was night time and it took me awhile to locate his gravestone. After some time I found it. He’s in a row dedicated to his family, there are other Baughs buried in that row.

That’s the quick backstory. I’m writing to see if anyone here knows better where his grave is within the cemetery because in April I’ll be driving through again (because of the eclipse), and I’d like to stop in again and pay my respects. As you can understand, I’d like to not have to repeat the search through every row in the cemetery.

The more complete backstory is this. Sam Baugh (1914-2008) was one of the NFL greats in the 1940s and the 1950s. I’m a fan of NFL history. Around 1994 I was reading a book on the NFL’s 75th anniversary year and I read about Sam Baugh’s exploits. Specifically, this one: In 1943, Baugh led the NFL in passing (133-of-239 for 1,754 yards), punting (45.9-yard average) and interceptions made as a defensive back (11). That’s a record that should stand for eternity. The book said he is from Rotan, so out of the blue I called directory assistance for his number. When I called, he answered! The great Sam Baugh was on the phone! He graciously spent about 15 minutes with me, saying he’d absolutely LOVE to be playing in the 1990s with the more open passing game and rules of the game. He said he’d happily autograph my book, and whenI asked how to address the package he said, SAM BAUGH, ROTAN TEXAS. Just put that, and it’ll get to me, he said.

A few months after that phone call, his autograph in my book arrived. I was in my 30s then but I was giggling happily like a 12 year old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 04:56 PM

2,343 posts, read 1,739,096 times
I found the pictures I took from March 2016 and uploaded them to imgur: https://imgur.com/gallery/dSnofhq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: