Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 02:27 PM

9,858 posts, read 6,570,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You know I did say Houston is more of a draw for the international demographic. I guess foreign-born would have been the more appropriate term to use but let's look at the statistics.

So this is taken from a post All Above created months ago. These are census numbers from 2011-

So I don't know why people are disagreeing with me when they should be disagreeing with the census. I didn't make these numbers up.
Not disagreeing with the census. I’m disagreeing with “DFW does better for every ethnicity except black”. Asian pull is about even. The larger differences are Hispanic pull favoring Houston and DFW having larger white pull. And on black, yes Houston is more of an l”it city” but Dallas does fine in that category as well. I’m not disagreeing with the census. I’m agreeing with it. And on DFW having more domestic growth and Houston having more international, I don’t disagree. Your post and the disagreement was about race/ethnicity not foreign vs domestic.

Are you confusing Hispanic and Asian to = foreign born
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 04:43 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Not disagreeing with the census. I’m disagreeing with “DFW does better for every ethnicity except black”. Asian pull is about even. The larger differences are Hispanic pull favoring Houston and DFW having larger white pull. And on black, yes Houston is more of an l”it city” but Dallas does fine in that category as well. I’m not disagreeing with the census. I’m agreeing with it. And on DFW having more domestic growth and Houston having more international, I don’t disagree. Your post and the disagreement was about race/ethnicity not foreign vs domestic.

Are you confusing Hispanic and Asian to = foreign born
Here's the racial growth for both cities

Quote:
Hispanic Growth
Houston: 669,460
Dallas/Fort Worth: 504,053

San Antonio: 282,459
Austin: 208,632
McAllen: 115,959
El Paso: 70,982
Killeen/Temple: 34,578
Odessa: 30,798
Midland: 29,563
Lubbock: 28,305
Brownsville: 27,394
Corpus Christi: 24,753
Waco: 20,363
Laredo: 20,164
Amarillo: 20,009
Beaumont: 19,036
Longview: 17,458
College Station/Bryan: 14,104
Tyler: 11,931
San Angelo: 10,886
Abilene: 8,416
Wichita Falls: 5,963

White Growth
Austin: 208,790
Dallas/Fort Worth: 173,876
Houston: 89,531

San Antonio: 56,937
Longview: 36,275
College Station/Tyler: 11,926
Waco: 10,671
Tyler: 6,785
Killeen/Temple: 5,240
Lubbock: 4,553
Midland: 2,447
Laredo: 66
Abilene: -1,151
San Angelo: -1,126
Amarillo: -4,962
El Paso: -6,444
Odessa: -8,230
Brownsville: -8,274
Wichita Falls: -8,701
McAllen: -10,823
Beaumont: -13,770
Corpus Christi: -30,623

Black Growth
Dallas/Fort Worth: 266,247
Houston: 204,649

San Antonio: 33,173
Austin: 32,441
Killeen/Temple: 16,176
Longview: 12,492
Waco: 9,091
College Station/Bryan: 4,627
El Paso: 3,773
Lubbock: 2,146
Odessa: 1,910
Tyler: 1,665
Amarillo: 1,631
Midland: 1,511
Beaumont: 1,285
McAllen: 1,115
Abilene: 1,013
Brownsville: 289
Laredo: 232
San Angelo: 172
Corpus Christi: -278
Wichita Falls: -781

Asian Growth
Dallas/Fort Worth: 220,207
Houston: 197,210

Austin: 57,025
San Antonio: 22,977
Amarillo: 3,971
College Station/Bryan: 3,438
Killeen/Temple: 2,663
Lubbock: 2,131
Corpus Christi: 1,963
Midland: 1,552
Tyler: 1,477
El Paso: 1,319
Abilene: 1,247
Beaumont: 1,113
Waco: 1,101
McAllen: 885
Odessa: 686
San Angelo: 490
Longview: 413
Brownsville: 222
Laredo: -142
Wichita Falls: -159
DFW is ahead in every category but Hispanic growth which I'm going to assume a large percentage of that Hispanic growth is foreign born. Now the flaw behind these racial growths is it doesn't tell who is born in America and who's foreign born. It doesn't break down ethnicities. I'm also not going to assume that Asian and Hispanics automatically equal foreign born.

But if I'm looking at the numbers DFW is pulling in more domestic growth while Houston is pulling in more foreign-born growth. If DFW has more domestic growth than it's clearly the better fit for domestic transplants.

Maybe my wording was clumsy, I guess I should have said Black Americans generally favor Houston more than DFW but according to the census DFW attracts more domestic growth than Houston so Americans generally favor DFW over Houston.

Old 12-09-2023, 05:18 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Lol visiting HBCU s? Lol those add to the culture of an area not through visits but through enriching students with culture that permeates through the city.

Houston's culture is enriched by TSU because of the contributions it's alumni have made to the city. The school itself doesn't ooze culture.

I had a good chuckle tho. Thanks for that. Visiting HBCUs... Can't stop laughing at that one. It's the people that go there, their customs, traditions and constitutions that matter, not the campus itself.

Atlanta is a powerhouse for black culture because of those HBCUs. Their contributions made ATL. People flocked there because it was a great place for advancement of black people and the HBCUs were a huge part of that.

Paul Quinn moved to Dallas like yesterday. And it's tiny. It doesn't have the age and alumi power that a school like TSU has. TSU has been educating black Houstonians for generations.

As for downtown Dallas being more energetic, coulda fooled me. Houston seems more lively lately in its downtown.
Well look at this! I finally agree with atadytic on something. I think it's gonna rain cyclist and pedestrians in Houston tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrestores View Post
Nailed it.

And I agree that the effect HBCUs have is a bit overstated. Several cities around the country have no large black colleges and still maintain a dynamic community.
While I do agree, HBCUs tend to add to that dynamic in a lot of beneficial ways for a local Black community. It's not the end all be all but it does leave an impact on the local Black populace. Houston has benefited from TSU being in the heart of 3rd Ward and PV A&M being in close proximity to the Greater Houston area.

Btw, I do think people tend to underrate DFW local Black culture as well. But I get why DFW and Houston's black cultures have somewhat different experiences. We would have to get into a whole different topic to get into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Dallas1 View Post
I guess im really just a big fan of the pride of curriculum at Paul Quinn and how Mr. Sorrell has drastically upgraded the schools image nationwide causing it to become HBCU of the year in 2011. And Bishop College was there before Paul Quinn so there has always been a HBCU presence in Dallas. https://youtu.be/KkUfWraibmk?si=uf_vFO0o507-jGir
I'm glad to see Paul Quinn making strides and still standing. I went to an AME church so we use to use the campus for statewide summer AME youth conventions back in the day. I remember going back in 2000-2001 as a youth and it was in pretty poor condition then. I have a cousin that attended Paul Quinn about 2 years ago. She said it still feels somewhat disconnected to the city and local community. As far as Bishop College funny thing is it was started in my birthplace of Marshall, TX. Had a long run till they moved the school to Dallas in the 60s. While in Dallas they did have a good run but unfortunately like a lot of HBCU's were plagued by financial scandals and had to call it quits in the late 80s.

Old 12-09-2023, 06:55 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Well look at this! I finally agree with atadytic on something. I think it's gonna rain cyclist and pedestrians in Houston tonight!
You agree with me on everything you are right about
You disagree with with me on the things you are not.

Stay outta the rain.

Old 12-10-2023, 06:44 AM

829 posts, read 450,537 times
Quote:
Here's the racial growth for both cities

DFW is ahead in every category but Hispanic growth which I'm going to assume a large percentage of that Hispanic growth is foreign born. Now the flaw behind these racial growths is it doesn't tell who is born in America and who's foreign born. It doesn't break down ethnicities. I'm also not going to assume that Asian and Hispanics automatically equal foreign born.

But if I'm looking at the numbers DFW is pulling in more domestic growth while Houston is pulling in more foreign-born growth. If DFW has more domestic growth than it's clearly the better fit for domestic transplants.

Maybe my wording was clumsy, I guess I should have said Black Americans generally favor Houston more than DFW but according to the census DFW attracts more domestic growth than Houston so Americans generally favor DFW over Houston.
Yeah a better way to put it would be that domestic growth favors DFW and international favors Houston. It isn’t really about demographics either. I’d assume DFW beats out places like the SF Bay Area for Asian growth as well (especially domestic Asian growth) yet I don’t think anyone would say DFW is a better region for Asians than the Bay Area. It’s just that DFW is literally the number 1 pull for transplants domestically right now and it is a pretty diverse city/economy (unlike niches like Austin/Nashville) so that will be reflected in its growth. I don’t think the growth stats can lead us to the conclusion that DFW is a better city for every demographic than Houston but rather that DFW is a beast when it comes to domestic migration.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:24 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Dallas Asian growth skews highly Indian.

Here is foreign born population broken down by country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Here are the Urban Area Estimates for Asian foreign born. All over 10,000 listed

Born in Asia
Houston: 411,700
Dallas/Fort Worth: 364,741

Born in South Asia
Dallas/Fort Worth: 171,516
Houston: 143,045

Born in Southeast Asia
Houston: 139,835
Dallas/Fort Worth: 95,711

Born in West Asia
Houston: 38,166
Dallas/Fort Worth: 30,471

China (excludes Taiwan)
Houston: 48,804
Dallas/Fort Worth: 27,407

Taiwan
Houston: 14,810

Korea
Dallas/Fort Worth: 21,886
Houston: 10,019

India
Dallas/Fort Worth: 115,199
Houston: 81,673

Pakistan
Houston: 32,781
Dallas/Fort Worth: 15,165

Iran
Houston: 15,735

Nepal
Dallas/Fort Worth: 15,571

Philippines
Houston: 31,566
Dallas/Fort Worth: 21,666

Vietnam
Houston: 93,818
Dallas/Fort Worth: 52,919

Iraq
Houston: 11,129
If you break it down by foreign born Hispanics and Blacks Houston is ahead there too. I'm not sure about foreign born whites but I would bet that it follows the same trend too. Dallas has always had a more domestic lean and Houston has always been more international than Dallas. Coastal big cities usually are

Old 12-15-2023, 01:34 PM
bu2

24,071 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Your posts about Dallas range from funny to profoundly out of it.

A guy who I really disliked happened to make a great point a few years ago and your endurance for all this nonsense proves his point. His claim was for some reason more people from Houston feel an inferiority complex about the Houston vs. Dallas thing than the reverse. He was quite clearly correct.
Having lived in both cities I think it’s clearly the opposite. Houstonians will respond to ignorant posts about the city and there are a lot. Redlion is right in saying domestically people don’t think much about Houston.

Now if you are talking about professional football fans, Houston does have an inferiority complex relative to the Cowboys!

Old 12-15-2023, 02:45 PM

7 posts, read 1,170 times
Hello everyone. I remember this being questioned earlier. I think 6 buildings were mentioned, but this article shows 11 new buildings.

Hunt Realty unveils $5 billion redevelopment plan for downtown Dallas’ Reunion project
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...allas-reunion/

Quote:
Hunt Realty’s new vision for Reunion is the most ambitious yet.

The longtime owner of one of downtown’s largest undeveloped properties is planning for as many as 3,000 apartments, a 600- to 1,000-room hotel, 150,000 square feet of retail space and up to 2 million square feet of offices surrounding a 3- to 4-acre park.

“That’s probably $5 billion of development,” said Hunt Realty Investments president Colin Fitzgibbons. “It will be home to 5,000 residents, which is a third of the current downtown population — a significant add.

“There could be as many as 1,500 affordable units,” Fitzgibbons said. “It would be workforce housing for nurses, teachers, firemen, policemen.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Previous development plans for Reunion surrounded the landmark Hyatt Regency with a series of glass office towers.

New York and San Francisco-based Hart Howerton architects prepared the new master plan, which includes a variety of high-rise residential and commercial buildings between the convention center site and the rest of downtown.

Hart Howerton is also the designer for Hunt Realty’s 2,500-acre Fields development in Frisco and the NorthEnd project on the edge of downtown that includes a half-billion-dollar office project for Goldman Sachs.

“They are very good at placemaking and walkability and the human experience in these large-scale urban developments,” Fitzgibbons said. “What we have planned is 5 million square feet, which is a pretty conservative plan from a density standpoint.

“The first phase is likely to be a combination of the hotel, some retail dining and entertainment to support the convention center and the first phase of workforce housing,” he said.

Architect’s renderings for the Reunion development show a dozen new high-rises between Interstate 35E and Houston Street. Construction across the railroad tracks would link Union Station more directly to the Hyatt.
Attached Thumbnails
Why is it that Houston seems to have more of an "energetic vibe" than Dallas?-gffr.png   Why is it that Houston seems to have more of an "energetic vibe" than Dallas?-khg.png   Why is it that Houston seems to have more of an "energetic vibe" than Dallas?-adf.png  

Last edited by e-Dallas1; 12-15-2023 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas