Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2021, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 8,927 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocated to Texas and thought we had settled on Dallas. After visiting, we aren’t so sure it is for us. We are very outdoorsy and as many posters in this forum have noted, there isn’t a lot of hiking, biking swimming, etc to do in Dallas (ok, there are pools!). It’s just so big and strip malls and malls aren’t really our thing. It felt a little bit like everyone was trying to ‘keep up with the Jones.’ We would love to live in a place like Asheville, NC, but that isn’t in the cards right now. Heck, we would even love Bentonville, Arkansas.

I’ve started to research temple and have learned Belton is the town of choice. Can anyone tell me more about this town? We plan on visiting, but in the meantime- Does it have a lake town feel? It seems like the “metro” is a size we are more comfortable with. A lot less traffic, but close to Austin if we need anything. Is it scenic? Pretty? At least, prettier than dallas? The area looks to have some decent hiking. Could we ride a bike into town safely? How does it compare to bentonville/NWA? How much would it cost to have a house with lakefront access to lake belton? What about a lake view?

Thanks ya’all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 06:13 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,371,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relodallas View Post
We are looking to relocated to Texas and thought we had settled on Dallas. After visiting, we aren’t so sure it is for us. We are very outdoorsy and as many posters in this forum have noted, there isn’t a lot of hiking, biking swimming, etc to do in Dallas (ok, there are pools!). It’s just so big and strip malls and malls aren’t really our thing. It felt a little bit like everyone was trying to ‘keep up with the Jones.’ We would love to live in a place like Asheville, NC, but that isn’t in the cards right now. Heck, we would even love Bentonville, Arkansas.

I’ve started to research temple and have learned Belton is the town of choice. Can anyone tell me more about this town? We plan on visiting, but in the meantime- Does it have a lake town feel? It seems like the “metro” is a size we are more comfortable with. A lot less traffic, but close to Austin if we need anything. Is it scenic? Pretty? At least, prettier than dallas? The area looks to have some decent hiking. Could we ride a bike into town safely? How does it compare to bentonville/NWA? How much would it cost to have a house with lakefront access to lake belton? What about a lake view?

Thanks ya’all!
Your questions depend on where you choose to live in the area. There are two major lakes, Belton Lake to the north, and Stillhouse Hollow to the south. Belton is the larger of the two lakes, however most of the shoreline neighborhoods would be Temple addresses, with the exception of those along the southern shoreline. Stillhouse, while smaller, is still a large lake. There are many neighborhoods available with lake views. It would be possible to bike into Belton from the northern shore of Stillhouse without any issues. There are hiking trails, mountain bike trails, etc. at the various Corps of Engineers parks around both lakes. Take note, as both lakes are managed by the Corp of Engineers, there are no private docks allowed on either lake.

Austin is about an hour south of the Temple/Belton area via I-35. The closer you get to Austin on I-35, the worse the traffic gets. Most things you would need would be available in Temple/Belton. Major purchases of certain things may require a trip. Both towns have larger, newer HEB grocery stores, a multitude of chain and local restaurants, and other shopping options. Cochran, Blair, and Potts in Belton is the oldest, continually operating department store in Texas.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 8,927 times
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I didn’t know about the dock rules. Which neighborhoods with a lake view would be BISD? I thought I read something about redistricting or a new high school? Where would be the best place to learn more about this?

Old 01-13-2021, 12:44 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,371,432 times
Anything along the southern shore of Belton Lake, north over the dam, then anything off of Adams from 317 all the way to Temple Lake Park, both north and south of Adams would be Belton ISD, IIRC.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:48 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,715,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relodallas View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I didn’t know about the dock rules. Which neighborhoods with a lake view would be BISD? I thought I read something about redistricting or a new high school? Where would be the best place to learn more about this?
Probably the Belton School District website.

I don't know much about Belton, but to consider it part of Austin and to consider Austin close is a little iffy. You might be able to get to Round Rock in a fair amount of time, but it can take an hour in rush hour traffic to get from Round Rock to downtown Austin. I wouldn't want to think about that commute. But, for occasional events and big time shopping, it should be fine.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:23 PM

570 posts, read 561,553 times
Temple i won't recommend. Belton is nicer as well as smaller. I would look there or Georgetown.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:01 PM

8 posts, read 6,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
Temple i won't recommend. Belton is nicer as well as smaller. I would look there or Georgetown.
I stayed in Temple for 5 days. Seems fairly safe, but run down and very dated over all. Most of restaurants are terrible. Black Rifle Coffee is a great addition. people are friendly. HEB grocery store is on same level as Walmart and only choice for major grocery stores. They have a Natural Grocer which is nice. Traffic is moderate. All in all, not a bad place to live. Zero inventory for homes which is super odd.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:22 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,015,483 times
I don't think the areas are comparable at all. Natural beauty will be much higher in AR and NC. They are also more liberal areas - Asheville especially so.

Honestly Tyler might be your best bet as far as Texas goes - politics aside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: