Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 09:38 PM

215 posts, read 211,695 times

Advertisements

Ok I really need y'all's opinion on this.Ive been looking at towns and cities across Texas to permanently relocate to from the city I currently live in. From my investigation I've concluded that Van Horn,TX is where I could really see myself living permanently.I visited there way back in 2006 and really liked it and just found that town gorgeous.Heres the problem,I don't have a job there waiting for me and only have 8,000 dollars to my name and don't have any relatives there (which is a plus).At any rate, I know it's not the most organized decision to say the least.However since I don't have any obligation to stay in the city I'm in currently in because I made the decision to put an abusive family member out of my life some three months ago(long story there) and have finally closed that bad chapter in my life,I decided to move out to my favorite place in Texas.I could use some pointers or advice that's constructive.Again this is a might might move.I know that's where I want to move but I don't know if 8 grand will cover me.Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 10:08 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,011,139 times
I looked at indeed for Van Horn, Texas and it is slim pickings when it comes to jobs. Unless you have a pension you might have to save up more money before moving. I would save up at least 6 months to a years worth of living expenses, it could be a while before you find a job.

I'm curious what it is about Van Horn that you like so much?

Old 08-19-2020, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I looked at indeed for Van Horn, Texas and it is slim pickings when it comes to jobs. Unless you have a pension you might have to save up more money before moving. I would save up at least 6 months to a years worth of living expenses, it could be a while before you find a job.

I'm curious what it is about Van Horn that you like so much?
I love the dry desert air and the Chihuahuan Desert is my favorite desert over the Sonoran and Mojave also I love the small town atmosphere.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:11 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Van Horn has been hurting economically for some years and has been in a slow decline. There are some quarry jobs in the area, if you are looking for a job working as an operator at a crusher or batch plant.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:34 AM

Why not look near Big Bend? There will probably be more industry thataway, and I think the towns are generally a bit nicer.

Not sure if Fort Stockton is in that desert, but that might be worth a look too. If it's too big, you could potentially settle for a smaller town nearby.

I just think these places might have more jobs.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:42 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Alpine is the largest city in the region, and it also has an economy that isn't totally dependent on the oilfields. I wouldn't say there is much "industry" there, but it does have Sul Ross State University, and some regional tourism from Big Bend, so there are jobs in restaurants, shops, local businesses, etc.

Van Horn would be one of the last places in Texas I would choose to live. There are only 2000 people in the town, and it is very remote. I guess you could get a job as a cashier at one of the truckstops, or as a housekeeper at one of the motels.

Old 08-19-2020, 05:44 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Why not look near Big Bend? There will probably be more industry thataway, and I think the towns are generally a bit nicer.

Not sure if Fort Stockton is in that desert, but that might be worth a look too. If it's too big, you could potentially settle for a smaller town nearby.

I just think these places might have more jobs.
Fort Stockton is in that desert.I thinks its the Chihuahuan desert.However, I dont think there would be much jobs in Fort Stockton now because of low oil prices.

Old 08-19-2020, 06:13 PM

751 posts, read 1,483,481 times
Fort Stockton is larger than Alpine, but it is in the far eastern part of the region. It is not totally dependent on oil, however there is a lot of oil related work that goes on there. There is also a fairly large prison in the area that employs folks. I grew up there, and have no desire to return, but it is a vibrant place with a whole lot of history.

Alpine is a beautiful town, although it has been a couple of decades since I visited there. Much of the industry is ranching and the university, and there would be a better chance of gainful employment in Alpine than Van Horn.

Fort Davis is in the area as well, a place I have visited a number of times, albeit a decade ago. Another real cool place, it might offer better chances of making a living than Van Horn.

Van Horn is a remote place, but so are the other towns mentioned. However Van Horn is tiny, with little to draw folks in other than a place to stop temporarily while travelling through. While it is a neat little place, there just is not much going on there.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:17 PM

Yes, I think Alpine, Fort Stockton, and Fort Davis are all decent choices

Old 08-21-2020, 01:52 PM

Ok,I'm reading a lot of responses from y'all and Im learning a lot about the rest of that area of Texas.It was always a 9 to 1 shot of me just showing up there but I'm really itching to get out of the town I'm in now.Whats funny is someone mentioned the Big Bend area and Presidio has always been on my mind as a place to move.Unfortunately,I have never been to or visited Presidio like I've been to Van Horn.At any rate,thanks for the insights.Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas