Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2020, 08:41 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,351,772 times

Advertisements

https://www.easttexasmatters.com/new...ment-indicted/

"...Aaron Swenson was arrested in April by police in Texarkana, and accused of threatening to ambush and kill a police officer in a Facebook Live video. He was wearing a ballistic vest when officers took him into custody, and they found two loaded pistols and a shotgun in his car, according to a police report.

Swenson’s Facebook page included references to the “boogaloo” movement, a network of gun enthusiasts who often express support for overthrowing the U.S. government, according to police and the Tech Transparency Project, which tracks technology companies.

Hours before his arrest, police said, Swenson wrote a post under an alias saying “I feel like hunting the hunters.”..."

Here's the group he's a part of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogaloo_movement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 12:38 PM

I'm totally into posting about any group that engages in violence. If I ever find a reliable source about antifa, I'll surely post it. Mostly what I've found is towns believing antifa is coming, and the townspeople showing up armed to the hilt for nothing.

And how can a "meme" be arrested?

The idea that it's a hoax was put forth elsewhere, where they linked to a dance page, rather than any of the news pages and Wikipedia article on boogaloo linked in my OP. Proof of boogaloo is out there (obviously....they've been arrested in at least 3 different states)...but not on antifa.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/17/o...gtype=Homepage

"...So early this month as a small group of local residents planned a peaceful “Black Lives Matter” protest in Coquille, word raced around that three busloads of antifa activists were headed to Coquille to bust up the town.

The sheriff and his deputies donned bulletproof vests, prepared their MRAP armored vehicle and took up positions to fight off the invasion. Almost 200 local people, some shouldering rifles and others holding flags, gathered to protect their town (overshadowing the handful of people who had come to wave Black Lives Matter signs).

“I feel defensive and want to protect my home,” one man, Timothy Robinette, told the local newspaper, The World.
A sheriff from a nearby county, John Ward, warned citizens in a public Facebook post of rumors that the anti-fascists could rampage into his area as well.

“I was told they are looking for a fight,” he explained. Ward added that he had no problem with peaceful protests — a Black Lives Matter protest had been held peacefully in the local town of Brookings — but he hinted that citizens might want to help the police fend off any antifa attack.

“Without asking,” he said, “I am sure we have a lot of local boys, too, with guns that will protect our citizens.”
Of course, no rampaging anarchists ever showed up. The Battle of Coquille ended without beginning...."

If you've got proof....not joe blow's post somewhere, I'm totally game. Find a reliable source of their violence. Mostly what has come out is that antifa "violence" is in joe blow's head. FTR, I've seen news articles saying there were antifa arrests, but no where in the article do they offer any evidence...they just say it. No facebook post, twitter, ..nada. The article I linked in the OP has his facebook posts.

If you're sick of hearing about them (or antifa), don't read. Simple.

Last edited by crusinsusan; 06-18-2020 at 12:56 PM..

Old 06-18-2020, 04:22 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
https://www.easttexasmatters.com/new...ment-indicted/

"...Aaron Swenson was arrested in April by police in Texarkana, and accused of threatening to ambush and kill a police officer in a Facebook Live video. He was wearing a ballistic vest when officers took him into custody, and they found two loaded pistols and a shotgun in his car, according to a police report.

Swenson’s Facebook page included references to the “boogaloo” movement, a network of gun enthusiasts who often express support for overthrowing the U.S. government, according to police and the Tech Transparency Project, which tracks technology companies.

Hours before his arrest, police said, Swenson wrote a post under an alias saying “I feel like hunting the hunters.”..."

Here's the group he's a part of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogaloo_movement
Just another Patriot exercising his 2nd Amendment Right to endanger everyone within range

Old 06-18-2020, 06:10 PM

CNC guy, that's a lot of information there, and I'll wade through it tomorrow. I assume you've looked at it all. Can you tell me if there is one or more incidents in any of the links/vids wherein a person was arrested and it was found that they were specifically linked to antifa via their social media?

Not that fox said they were...or the atlantic....but proof they made antifa references prior to their arrests? I'm sick to death of lazy journalism not giving us the facts. That's the key. Actual quotes from their blog, facebook whatever.

This violence needs to be rooted out, and we all, on all sides, need to join together to stop them. But we can't stop "them" if there isn't proof that they are a "them". The "edges" using razors to slice us up....well, ...we've got to win.

I want to know. Either way. Cuz they're all ruining our country.

But what I keep seeing is someone saying boogaloo....then someone spitting back antifa.

They ain't us. Let's stop throwing them in each other's faces and instead, join together to stop them. (No, I don't know how.)

Old 06-19-2020, 09:14 AM

8,354 posts, read 5,514,165 times
So Antifa is a real threat but white supremacists arent real? Cant they both be jackasses?

Old 06-19-2020, 10:11 AM

They both are, of course. But boogaloo is different...they're basically a mess, with the only cohesive belief being far-right/violence...from a link in the OP (with one of the KEY words being accelerationism of society's collapse.)

"...Groups in the boogaloo movement do not have a strong unifying ideology.[10][25] The groups are generally described as far-right or alt-right, although some groups have also been described as libertarian or anarchist.[29] Members of boogaloo groups typically believe in accelerationism, and support any action that will speed impending civil war and eventually the collapse of society.[4][9][10]

According to The Economist, to this end boogaloo group members have supported the "spreading of disinformation and conspiracy theories, attacks on infrastructure (such as that on New York’s 311 line) and lone-wolf terrorism."[4] J.J. MacNab, a George Washington University fellow researching anti-government extremist groups, notes that opinions on racism and attitudes towards law enforcement are among the views that differ the most between groups in the movement.[28] Some groups are also white supremacist or neo-Nazi and specifically believe that the unrest will be a race war, but there are others that condemn racism.[15] Attempts by some elements of the Boogaloo movement to support anti-racist groups, such as Black Lives Matter, have been met with wariness and skepticism.[14][6]

Some participants in the movement claim that the group and its ideology are nothing more than online jokes, however, law enforcement and researchers maintain that people connected to the groups have been implicated in plans to commit real-world violence.[32][33] The Tech Transparency Project has observed that, while public posts on boogaloo Facebook pages tend to be satirical, members of private boogaloo groups "exchang[e] detailed information and tactics on how to organize and execute a revolt against American authorities." Some of the private groups ban the sharing of memes to keep conversation focused on serious topics.[23] The NCRI has also commented on the mix of serious and joking content, writing, "This ambiguity is a key feature of the problem: Like a virus hiding from the immune system, the use of comical-meme language permits the network to organize violence secretly behind a mirage of inside jokes and plausible deniability."[2][10]

According to the non-profit Network Contagion Research Institute (NCRI), groups belonging to the boogaloo movement organize on mainstream online platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Reddit, as well as on more obscure platforms such as 4chan.[1][22] Bellingcat identifies Facebook as a particularly important platform for the movement, and that the movement numbers in the tens of thousands.[7] The NCRI researchers also estimate the movement to have tens of thousands of adherents.[2]..."

You may recall that 4chan (2nd to last sentence) is where QAnon started.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:18 AM

CNC, are you going to tell us if any of those stories have proof of antifa? Or are you going to make us wade through it all? I'm game for finding verifiable antifa violence, but you have to step up too - I mean, are we both looking for truth? Or just me? I want to know, but I too, have a life. Plus.....

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/09/87327...ht-over-unrest

No Sign Of Antifa So Far In Justice Department Cases Brought Over Unrest

U.S. Attorney General William Barr has repeatedly blamed anti-fascist activists for the violence that has erupted during demonstrations over George Floyd's death, but federal court records show no sign of so-called antifa links so far in cases brought by the Justice Department.

NPR has reviewed court documents of 51 individuals facing federal charges in connection with the unrest. As of Tuesday morning, none is alleged to have links to the antifa movement.

The single instance in which an extremist group is mentioned in court documents is a case against three Nevada men. Federal prosecutors allege the trio belong to the right-wing Boogaloo movement that wants to bring about a civil war. The men have been charged with plotting violence during Las Vegas protest..."

The last bit is now out-of-date, as you know, since we've got boogaloo arrests (with proof of social media posts) in 3 states now (that I know of so far): Texas, California and Nevada. So, it being out of date, perhaps you have something concrete?

Old 06-19-2020, 11:00 AM

Well, ALL of CNC's links are useless (I'm not clicking on the vids, as vids don't typically have anything concrete about evidence of membership in a group):

I used “find in page” to see if any arrests for violence were made and what social media showed up:

First link of the Atlantic..............nothing
Second link of The New Yorker.....nothing
Third link of BBC........................nothing
Fourth link of WSJ:.................... behind a paywall
Fifth link : .............................404 Page Not Found
Sixth link: .............................Page Not Found

Nothing. Nada. Actually turns out to not have been much work at all. I suspect you expected to bury us under an avalanche of paperwork, but I'm not lazy....and this was easy.

If you want to get us transcripts of the vids, wherein there's social media proof of antifa planned/executed violence, then do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas