Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 05:48 PM

437 posts, read 2,239,514 times

Advertisements

I just talked to someone who just came back from Texas and told me that Texas was not green. He went from El Paso to Monroe LA. 10 to the 20 freeway.

I said, what? That isn't true. He said yep it sure is. Well, that blew my mind. I know better than that. Of course he didn't see all of Texas.

O.K. all. Lets see your green Texas pictures. I know you got um.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 06:54 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
East TX should be pretty green; it's nickname is Piney Woods!

El Paso to Monroe? Sounds like he cut across north TX, because Monroe's in north Louisiana. (I don't know if that'd make a difference though.)

Old 12-16-2006, 09:22 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,428,001 times
Okay...I had the typical idea of what I thought Texas looked like from those old cowboy movies with dust, dirt, cactus and rolling tumbleweeds.

Now Northern California is pretty hilly and green but we are still in the valley here. We flew into Austin and I was SOOO pleasantly surprised. It is absolutely gorgeous down there. It reminded me of the Sierra Nevada foothills. It is why it is called Hill Country.

When we drove up to the DFW area, we were concerned because we had heard that Austin was very pretty, but that the Metroplex was pretty flat.

We took our first long scouting trip in August during one of the hottest times of the year during their stage whatever drought. And it was still greener there than here in Sacramento at that point of the year. I was really surprised.

Yes, Virginia...Texas is green

Old 12-17-2006, 05:44 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,227,054 times
West Texas is not green, very dry and barren, terribly unattractive.

I live in central Texas and because of the drought, it hasn't been as green as it should be. Actually it took a few days of rain this past October to see green again. This summer, everthing looked brown, crisp, and like hay. I have seen it green in my 28 years of living here in the middle of summer.

I agree that the Hill Country is nice; maybe they got more rain than we did. I visited the Hill Country last March and I must say though that it got greener getting closer to home. Maybe it just fluctuates greatly due to the amount of rain an area gets or doesn't get.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:02 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Right now a lot of things are dormant. Like most of the grasses (bermuda, St. Augustine, etc). Same w/ some trees. So yes, in the winter, it's not as green as it is in the summer & spring.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:01 PM

437 posts, read 2,239,514 times
That is what I thought. It was winter there and that is why it wasn't so green. Like everywhere in the Country.

All those beautiful pictures the Realtor sent me of East Texas. Not one was brown. I also thought he was in West Texas when he saw the dead brown areas. I didn't want to make him feel silly so I didn't want to say anything.

I don't think he wants us to move.

Thanks.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Right now a lot of things are dormant. Like most of the grasses (bermuda, St. Augustine, etc). Same w/ some trees. So yes, in the winter, it's not as green as it is in the summer & spring.
That reminded me of something. "Warm season grasses" go brown and dormant when hit with a certain amount of frost while "Cool season grasses" stay green a little, even below -20 C (-5 F).

Cool season grasses are all that will grow in southern Ontario and Warm season grasses aren't usually grown north of Tennessee. (most lawns in the southeastern states will be straw coloured all winter)

Old 12-17-2006, 03:44 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,118,408 times
Central Texas (Hill Country, Austin etc) can certainly be greener than my native San Diego. The area will look dry and brown to those from the Midwest and East Coast though. I suppose "greeness" is relative.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Central Texas (Hill Country, Austin etc) can certainly be greener than my native San Diego. The area will look dry and brown to those from the Midwest and East Coast though. I suppose "greeness" is relative.
LOL! (probably true. )

We have "green" paved roads and concrete sidewalks sometimes.
Grass, dandelions usually grow through cracks in old pavement and sometimes even moss will grow on part of a sidewalk.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:06 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,227,054 times
Texas is greener now than it was in the summer!! When Spring rolls in, the color of the landscape should improve and maybe 2007 Summer won't be as pathetic as 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas