Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:47 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,847,706 times

Advertisements

Charlize Theron is my favorite actress. I luv that woman, even when she played "Monster". But I would like to see her go back to lite comedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 02:19 PM

493 posts, read 638,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Charlize Theron is my favorite actress. I luv that woman, even when she played "Monster". But I would like to see her go back to lite comedy.
The friggin singer of Third Eye Blind didn't take her marriage proposals seriously?!?! OMG...Charlize Theron wants to marry you...and you dunno?!?!, oh man...

Old 04-10-2008, 02:25 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,385,282 times
Ha! Sounds like you might like to meet my nephew in NE Oklahoma. He was the Oklahoma State bull rider champion for at least one year. He now raises champion rodeo bulls. He's a good kid much like his mom, my sister.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 8 days ago)

52,716 posts, read 48,027,377 times
Default Cowboys And Country Music

The closest to where I live, the place would have to be the Fort Worth Stockyards. It's the first obvious choice.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,862 times
Default the Real Texas

For a real Texas music feeling, Gruene Hall is one of the best.

For a real sense of the old Texas, Bandera and Albany are both small towns steeped in Texas/Western History. Bandera is more formalized, but there is more history in Albany. In Albany, try to catch "Fandango" in June, as all the county gets involved in presenting their history. Then spend some time at Fort Griffin and the area being restored next door - the Flats. These are huge cattle ranges here, and you should be able to find someone to act as a guide to some of the really significant historical sites. Read "Interwoven, A Pioneer Chronicle" by Sally Reynolds Mathews, as an introduction to the area. There is a nice bed and breakfast in town, right across from the County Court House - The Old Nail House ([url=http://www.tx-hotels-review.com/?n=the+ole+%0D%0Anail+house+inn&id=1803460&t=hotel]THE OLE NAIL HOUSE INN (Albany, TX) - reviews, hotel photos, videos, special price , interative map & directions[/url]) which named after one of the local long-time ranchers. The city itself is only 3,000 folks but is a wealth of history and interesting sites. If you go in a season other than a hunting season, I think the local ranchers will be more than willing to hire out as guides to the mostly unmarked sites on their ranches that played such important parts of the history of real cowboys in Texas. I hope you enjoy your visit. Contact me at [email]elderbob@gmail.com[/email] if you need more information.

PS>You are in the area of the Texas Line of Forts (see Texas Forts Trail), the Butterfield Stagecoach Line, the Great Western Cattle Trail and other amazing byways of Texas history in Albany....all worth familiarizing yourself with before you go.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:13 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,023,800 times
Rainbow Cattle Company in downtown Austin.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 8,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderbob View Post
For a real Texas music feeling, Gruene Hall is one of the best.

For a real sense of the old Texas, Bandera and Albany are both small towns steeped in Texas/Western History. Bandera is more formalized, but there is more history in Albany. In Albany, try to catch "Fandango" in June, as all the county gets involved in presenting their history. Then spend some time at Fort Griffin and the area being restored next door - the Flats. These are huge cattle ranges here, and you should be able to find someone to act as a guide to some of the really significant historical sites. Read "Interwoven, A Pioneer Chronicle" by Sally Reynolds Mathews, as an introduction to the area. There is a nice bed and breakfast in town, right across from the County Court House - The Old Nail House ([url=http://www.tx-hotels-review.com/?n=the+ole+%0D%0Anail+house+inn&id=1803460&t=hotel]THE OLE NAIL HOUSE INN (Albany, TX) - reviews, hotel photos, videos, special price , interative map & directions[/url]) which named after one of the local long-time ranchers. The city itself is only 3,000 folks but is a wealth of history and interesting sites. If you go in a season other than a hunting season, I think the local ranchers will be more than willing to hire out as guides to the mostly unmarked sites on their ranches that played such important parts of the history of real cowboys in Texas. I hope you enjoy your visit. Contact me at [email]elderbob@gmail.com[/email] if you need more information.

PS>You are in the area of the Texas Line of Forts (see Texas Forts Trail), the Butterfield Stagecoach Line, the Great Western Cattle Trail and other amazing byways of Texas history in Albany....all worth familiarizing yourself with before you go.

I know everyone thinks they know all about Albany but you need to take a real look at your info.
The real name of the celebration is "FANDANGLE" NOT "FANDANGO" as you have said.
I have participated it the Albany Fandangle many times.
Believe me the correct word is Fandangle!
I lived in Albany for a number of years, participated and will hope to go see it again before I die!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++
World English Dictionary
fandangle (fænˈdæŋɡ ə l) [URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html"]http://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/...on_default.gif[/URL] — n 1. elaborate ornament 2. nonsense [C19: perhaps from fandango ]

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
[URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=Fandangle&ia=ced"]Cite This Source[/URL]

Main Entry: fandangle [SIZE=-1]1 [/SIZE]Part of Speech: n Definition: an elaborate but useless ornament Etymology: perhaps derived from newfangle

Main Entry: fandangle [SIZE=-1]2 [/SIZE]Part of Speech: n Definition: nonsense Etymology: perhaps derived from newfangle

Dictionary.com's 21st Century Lexicon
Copyright © 2003-2010 Dictionary.com, LLC
[URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=Fandangle&ia=dict21"]Cite This Source[/URL]

Word Origin & History

fandangle
1835, Southern U.S., perhaps an alteration of [URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fandango"]fandango[/URL]

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
[URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=Fandangle&ia=etymon"]Cite This Source[/URL]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
Also I can tell you that Bandera is a far more pleasant place to live than Albany.
I lived in both for several years.
The folk in Albany are narrow minded bigots with super over inflated ego's and a superiority complex with a "not born here" not any good attitude.
Bandera has it's share of that same small mindedness but not to the degree Albany minions suffer from.
Bandera is also just a much more pleasant country side with better weather.

I don't want to live in either but if I had to make a choice and they were the only two choices Bandera would win by a percentage that is not a real number!

Anonymous!
Sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas