Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 06:11 AM

4 posts, read 3,674 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm new in here and need some help. I'm from Portugal and hope that in a few months I'll go to Texas. In the the first times I think that I will stay near Mansfield, I've some known people around there so it will make it easier for the first months.
My question for those that live in Texas, especially in or near Dallas or Houston, which town would be better to me and my wife and daughter? I will need a school to my daughter and I will like to go to a town were I can find some portuguese comunity.

Thanks for your help and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 10:04 AM

11,914 posts, read 27,078,573 times
Where will you be working? That's the biggest factor in your decision. The area is huge and commute times can be very long.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:45 PM

3,491 posts, read 7,009,555 times
I'd think you are more likely to find Spaniards in Texas than Portuguese but you can come across some in Texas.....I live in Midland and I know a Portuguese lady.....but then again what do I know ...not trying to be stereotypical or anything but perhaps you may want to try the big cities.....maybe Houston would your best bet since it is very international and diverse....hope I didn't offend anyone I sure was not trying to.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:51 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,912,597 times
Houston and Dallas are both high crime cities with poverty issues. Any chance that your family would consider Austin?

Old 01-05-2014, 05:59 AM

@ GatsbyGatz, yes I already thought about that possibility. For now, we're looking for the best places to live and work.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:05 AM

@Christie, yes I know that I've got to be aware to that, cause if I don't, I can speed a lot of time in the work/home/work connection.

@Westerntraveler - Houston and Austin are two good alternatives that we got in mind.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:02 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,813,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvo76 View Post
@Christie, yes I know that I've got to be aware to that, cause if I don't, I can speed a lot of time in the work/home/work connection.
What Christie asked was "Where's your work?"

That way WE can be helpful regarding the "work/home/work" connection. Corvo, all Texas cities are similar (except in the urban areas) & offer good areas to live & have kids go to school. But don't come without a job lined up.....& until you know where that job is....this thread is only good for "where do the most Portuguese live?" .

(I don't have a clue where the most Portuguese live.....I wonder which city has the most Brazilians? Houston?)

Old 01-05-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
What Christie asked was "Where's your work?"

....this thread is only good for "where do the most Portuguese live?" .

(I don't have a clue where the most Portuguese live.....I wonder which city has the most Brazilians? Houston?)
For now I don't have a work in there, I still looking for one and have some friends that are looking for something near Mansfield.

About "the most Portuguese live", well, it's not super important, it would make easier to stablish and to get accustomed to the city and the way living.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:46 AM

11,914 posts, read 27,078,573 times
How are you moving to the USA from Portgual with no job? I guess you are being sponsored in by a family member?

In all of my years in DFW, I have never met someone from Portugal. DFW isn't like the older cities on the east coast that have ethnic areas. We do have Koreatown on Harry Hines, and a large Asian population in Richardson, but that's really about it.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:56 AM

16,786 posts, read 49,281,251 times
First ancestries reported - Portuguese:

Houston 966 https://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...ton-Texas.html

Dallas 499 https://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...las-Texas.html

Austin 486 https://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...tin-Texas.html

There is a Portuguese restaurant in Carrollton, TX, North of Dallas. http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/669721

There is also one in Houston http://www.portugallia.com/

Last edited by CptnRn; 01-05-2014 at 01:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas