Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 05:34 PM

6 posts, read 11,009 times

Advertisements

We are doing a military move to amarillo sometime next summer.....so tell me about amarillo!!! Nothing is too mundane or too in depth to let me know about. Give me the basics and the not so basics. Looking forward to finding out about my next home town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 06:35 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
It's very flat.
It gets really cold in the winter.
When the wind blows the wrong way, you smell the cattle feedlots.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:39 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Flat. Cold. Windy.

If you're looking for clubs there is a couple of decent ones, nothing special and there is no down town scene to speak of.

They have a GOOD microbrewery in The Big Texan, the place is as cheesey as it gets but its worth it for the beer and the barmaid

I love Arena Football so the Venom are always an attraction for me, two year lone star champs also and its pretty cheap in.

Housing and rental isnt that bad for the area imho.

It's a safe town if not a tad boring.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-12-2013, 06:39 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
I wish I could help but I don't know much about Amarillo other than the military sent me there 46 years ago to the Amarillo Air Force Base. I don't even know if the Base exists anymore.

Anyway, best of luck.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:48 PM

802 posts, read 984,096 times
it's only four hours to the mountains west, southwest and northwest. about the same to a decent river and the hill country. easy weekend trips. Palo Duro canyon nearby for day trips. may be one of the best texas cities of all, when they have drinking water. freeways through town are a hassle in rush hour, though.
if all that isn't enough to start an argument, its also about four hours to an InAndOut burger.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 11-12-2013 at 07:26 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 09:59 AM

119 posts, read 249,247 times
I know Amarillo ain't exactly a looker, but I have fond memories of it when I stop there on my way to Denver. It's the people. They're super nice. Like, really nice. Everywhere.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:47 PM

163 posts, read 474,776 times
The 2 highways in Amarillo are I40 (runs east/west) and i 27 (north/south).

The hospitals (Northwest and Baptist St. Anthony are pretty much right next to each other (Coulter- north of i40)

There is a junior college (Amarillo College) with many campuses around town and WTAMU is in Canyon (which is just south of Amarillo- the city limits between Amarillo and Canyon are a bit blurry).

We do have 4 seasons and the weather that all seasons bring. (Hail in spring, some heat in summer- but generally low humidity, snow and crisp fall days.) The wind is a constant (which helps keep the heat down in the summer) and sometimes passes through the feed lot before arriving in Amarillo and leaves a poop smell.

There is public transportation (buses), but I can't comment on if they are reliable.

Are there specific questions/concerns/areas that you want to know about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas