Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 07:02 PM

220 posts, read 454,148 times

Advertisements

Texas May Start Hoarding Gold

What do y'all think about this? While I'm somewhat of a Texas nationalist I don't immediately jump to the conclusion that this has anything to do with secession. I think it has much more to do with the fact that lots of people have little faith in the federal reserve.

Several nations have begun the process of repatriating their gold that was being held for storage with them. Many people also question if the federal reserve bank is actually still holding what they claim they are. I think this is a smart idea better for us to hold it ourselves in state rather than keep it in New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 08:46 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,684 times
So, this can be taken as somewhat of a surprise state audit on the feds?

Old 06-03-2015, 01:31 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,012 times
TEXAS IS GETTING ITS VERY OWN BULLION DEPOSITORY
Eric Nicholson
Dallas Observer
June 2, 2015

Quote:
Lawmakers, their sense of mission suddenly awakened, voted over the weekend to establish a state-run bullion depository, to be called, simply, the Texas Bullion Depository.

The depository, Southlake Representative Giovanni Capriglione's two-year vision quest, will basically function like a bank, minus most of the borrowing and lending functions normally associated with banks. People, corporations, governments — basically anyone or anything who happens to be in possession of significant quantities of gold (or silver, or platinum, or palladium, or rhodium) — will be able to turn their precious metals over to the state Comptroller's Office, which will oversee the TBD, for safekeeping. The TBD will not pay interest. It will not make loans. It can't invest the bullion in sub-prime mortgages, credit default swaps or anything else, as it is statutorily required to keep enough precious metal on hand to satisfy all deposits.
Full Article

and more

Texas set to create a gold depository
Eva-Marie Ayala
Dallas Morning News
May 31, 2015

Quote:
Rep. Giovanni Capriglione, R-Southlake, has worked for two years on the legislation that allows the comptroller’s office to create the depository, which would make Texas the first state in the nation to do so.

“When I filed it, I just got these letters from literally all over the world,” Capriglione said. “People were saying, ‘I want to put my gold in Texas.’ They just have this image of the wild, wild west.”

And many want Texas gold to stay in the state to get away from federal oversight.
Full Article

Old 06-03-2015, 07:26 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
So, one big non-profit security vault? Another project for taxpayers to support is what it looks like to me.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:37 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,873 times
Considering the holdings of the Texas university systems, I would think this a prudent move by the lege.

From BCB's link, above...

Quote:
...the University of Texas Investment Management Co. has about $1 billion in gold stored with the Federal Reserve in New York. That’s about the size of a work desk, Capriglione said.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:46 PM

325 posts, read 255,542 times
This seems to be the result of having a legislature full of C students and Bible College graduates - a strange combination of evangelical Millenarianism, a talk-radio learned view of basic economics, and a general fear of all organized governments or financial markets that exist beyond the ol' county courthouse.

Texas seemed to work a lot better when they were indifferent as opposed to paranoid.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:15 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Frankly I don't see the point.

Texas doesn't maintain its own currency so all this would really be is a big vault that private individuals from around the world could use to store their gold. Certainly this is something that the private sector can easily do itself. And, in fact, does do. There are bank vaults all over Texas one can use to store one's own gold. Anyone who has so much gold it requires more than just a safety deposit box can certainly afford to pay for their own storage without getting a state subsidy.

Why are our tax dollars going for this sort of nonsense and not something more productive?

Old 06-04-2015, 10:48 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,873 times
The links provided have some idea of possibilities...
Quote:
For example, the University of Texas Investment Management Co. has about $1 billion in gold stored with the Federal Reserve in New York. That’s about the size of a work desk, Capriglione said.

Meanwhile, as Texas gets more deposits, it will be able to earn revenue off the fees. The depository would work more like a bank when the system is fully operational, handling transactions through gold, silver and the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas