Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 05:09 AM

26 posts, read 170,384 times

Advertisements

I may be getting a job at the Red River Depot. What's the area like as far as weather, cost of homes, things to do, golf courses, etc? I was stationed in San Antonio, TX when I was in the Air Force and have briefly visited Houston, Austin, Dallas and some other Texas cities, but have never been to Texarkana, TX. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:08 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
I sometimes wonder how long that part of TX has had modern plumbing and sanitation standards because the memo has not been completely circulated. The locals are friendly, but quite a few claim to have never left Texarkana. Carthage, TX also comes to mind. Weather will be most similar to Houston. Keep in mind the extent of my experience is that I've passed through NE TX to stop and eat, stretch, chill, etc a few times going up to Arkansas and beyond.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:27 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Texarkana is all right. It is much like any medium to small city in Texas. It does have a bit of an identity crisis (hence the name) being on the border. I guess you could compare it to Longview or Tyler as far as population and personality goes. The weather is is also like that of Longview or Tyler or Dallas though it has a lot more trees than Dallas. Not real familiar with Texarkana in particular but do get news stations broadcast from there at our lake house. Wish I could help more.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 9,991 times
I was born and mostly raised in Texarkana as well as in other cities around or near Texarkana, but they are all pretty much the same. I currently reside in Maud, TX (20 miles west of Texarkana) and it's just a sleepy little lazy NOSY town. To answer your question, Texarkana is in a growth trend and wants to become a super-city. The city counsel recently introduced the idea of combining the city counsels of both Texarkana, TX and Texarkana, AR...making it ONE city. Much like many other busy cities, Texarkana has its good aspects as well as bad ones, but the good seem to outweigh the bad. Yes, there are golf courses and much more.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:35 PM

7 posts, read 38,587 times
yeah, what the last post said was pretty accurate. Texarkana is full of nosy, nothing to do people. That smoke meth. Lots of losers here.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:16 PM

5 posts, read 14,466 times
Well, I'm not sure Rhymes knows what he is talking about. Must have a problem with Texas. Anyways, Texarkana is a good place to live, a lot of other great ideas have been passed on with other treads on this site. Stay in the north side of town and the schools and houses are good. There are a lot of small towns around the area that are nice also, with the ability to buy land if that is your desire. good luck

Old 08-08-2010, 07:01 PM

11 posts, read 49,935 times
Texarkana is a typical East Texas city. Conservative, but friendly. The city is growing rapidly. I no longer live there, but it is my hometown. If anyone doubts its growth drive thru on I-30 .

A new University is being built there on the north side. The school is a branch of Texas A&M University. There is also a Junior College there, called Texarkana College. There are four high schools there. Texas High, Arkansas High, Liberty -Eylau and Pleasant Grove.

Major industries are Cooper Tire, Red River Army Depot the two hospitals, and Day and Zimmerman.

Populations estimates for the combined cities of Texarkana, Ark and Texas for 2010 is nearly 70,000.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:17 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
texark66, "sizes" it up most accurately, but "growing rapidly" is a term good only for East Texas towns, compared to Austin, Houston, Dallas, and all it's "boom towns" nearby growth in the Two Texarkana's would only be "slight". A nice town, reaching for a combined pop of 70,000 about 68,000 now.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:38 AM

11 posts, read 49,935 times
Mark-Tyler is correct on the growth issue.

Compared to towns like Frisco, Round Rock, and others, it is only slight population growth in Texarkana. Tyler may hit 100,000 in the 2010 census. Longview is the other city in East Texas that is growing and is around 75,000 now. One thing that hurts Longview is poor air service. There are now only two round trips to DFW from Longview Regional. Texarkana has four. Tyler has the best air service in East Texas at present. Service to both DFW and Houston Bush.

One last word on the growth, Wake Village and Nash join the Texarkana, Texas city limits. Wake Village has over 5,000 in population and Nash has around 2,500. Both are in the Texarkana, Tx. ISD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas