Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times

Advertisements

What with all the bellyaching, hoop-la about the schools and their finance problems, does it bother anyone else when driving by and seeing the nice green (and I mean GREEN) grass surrounding the public schools? Hey, I'm not talking about moderate watering to keep shrubs alive, the foundation intact, young trees and the lawn alive. I don't think anyone of us would have a problem with that.

I gave up on my lawn a while back (it looks dead, but it will come back next year good as ever) and concentrate on my foundation, shrub and trees. Not only do I not want to pay the big bills to keep a green yard, I consider water a precious commodity and I know when it is this dry, we never know when we're going to need it for far more important things than a lush, green yard. I don't have a problem with the schools keeping the grass watered and alive, BUT this beautiful emerald green has really turned me off!

All we have been hearing is no money for this, no money for that, wah, wah, wah. The Keller ISD has announced they plan to start charging students to ride the school bus and several other counties are considering it. (If they're considering it, matter as well count it a done thing). Yep, the school can't afford that luxury anymore, but hey just think, they can afford to give the kids a nice view. Obviously, that's way more important it seems than worrying about if they're going to be able to just get to school to try and get an education.

What's next, charging to use the restroom?

Yep, can't pay the teachers, but they can sport lawns good enough to host visiting royalty. In a drought too, of all things.

All I can say is they're sure not setting a very good example, unless of course, you consider waste a virtue.

Oh well, just raise property taxes to cover it. Yep, I just got another tax increase this year and lucky me, I get to drive by these campuses and admire the view I'm paying for. I tell you the truth, it really pisses me off, just like watching water from sprinkler systems running down the curb! Grrr! What a waste!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Amazing how screwed up the priorities get, isn't it?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
I'm not sure which school district you're talking about, but all the schools I've driven by in my town have a dead looking lawn just like mine. That was one of the first things cut back for us, which I think makes sense. If that's not happening already in your town, you might bring it up with your local school board.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:54 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,460,702 times
My lawn looks pretty green even though it hasn't been watered much, there are some shrubs that are very shriveled and a tree that appears dead. I think the root system is pretty deep from years of letting it develop instead of water every 2 days like some of my neighbors (Actually watering my lawn once every 2 weeks makes it look greener than the neighbors watering every other day).

Maybe the lawn is artificial or has gotten accustomed to Texas summer conditions?

Old 07-20-2011, 01:32 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,188 times
I pass by three schools on my way to work. I was just noticing how brown the lawns were the other day (this is Richardson ISD). It doesn't look like they're doing any watering during the summer. Maybe what you saw was more of an isolated example.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 PM

I sure hope so.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:18 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
OP - Why are you trying to project what you see to all schools? Maybe this is just a problem where you live. Around here - I see barely green green grass around the schools.

If your property taxes went up - I doubt the school district raised rates. Your taxes went up because the appraisal district raised the assessed value of your home.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:44 PM

I commented on the green school yard grass because this is what I look at when I drive past the schools where I live. I posted it because I wanted to see others reaction to this waste and if they were dealing with the same or close to same situation. Since this is a discussion board with people all over the state contributing to it, I find it to be quite informative at times.

I'm glad to hear they are not squandering money on green school yards in your district.

As to property taxes, I am quite aware of how the appraisal board works, but thanks for pointing it out anyway. Since the bulk (or perhaps I should say the largest amount - at least in my experience ~ LOL I think I'm gun shy now) of your property tax is always destined for the schools, I would like to see the schools show a little more financial responsibility and this is in all areas.

Thanks for your input and next time I will be more careful and clarify my remarks better.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 PM

21 posts, read 27,404 times
I'm not in Tx right now (looking to move there spring of 12') but when my state was going through a droubt there were a few places that watered like crazy, made me so angry. It was such a waste - so I can completley understand why you would be upset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas