Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 11:13 AM

19 posts, read 17,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
It is legal in many school districts (as it should be), but in practice I do not think it is used often if ever anymore. Everyone is scared of a lawsuit.
No one should be hitting anyone else's child.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:47 AM

135 posts, read 294,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonNTN View Post
It's not hitting... it's just a paddling. This is why kids are disrespectful is because they know nothing can be done and they won't get in trouble. All that will happen is they will get suspended or ISS and when they get home the parent will take their cell phone, computer and games away for a week.... wow! What are our kids learning from this??? Nothing... I agree with JChometeam, it should be legal.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:42 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,377,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonNTN View Post
Because time out is an effective punishment.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:52 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,100,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Because time out is an effective punishment.
I have to disagree...."Time out" with my 2 youngest grandchildren did NOT work..... But I'm not raising them and not my problem....

Old 05-27-2012, 05:19 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,377,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I have to disagree...."Time out" with my 2 youngest grandchildren did NOT work..... But I'm not raising them and not my problem....
Sorry, forgot the [/sarcasm]

Timeout is an idiotic punishment.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:53 PM

712 posts, read 1,492,940 times
In school or out of school suspension is even more useless.

But regardless- to the original poster, just be sure to contact to potential school to see what their policy is. Realize that with it being legal in TN, comes a culture that a large percentage of the residents believe that the schools should be allowed to paddle even if the school in fact doesnt. If this offends you greatly, this might be indicitive of a more broad issue meaning you might clash with many (but not all) of the residents in your community. I believe that this is the more important consideration when considering relocating to the area.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:34 AM

19 posts, read 17,459 times
Time out can work if done right. Most people dont do it right so it gets a bad reputation as a joke.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:54 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,425,784 times
My kids, aged 12 to 31, received time outs and nothing more. All have turned out to not only not be serial killers but fine, productive members of society. I know many a child that was conditioned with a switch, belt, paddling or spanking and turned out to have more problems than Carter had liver pills. Of course I also had the fine art of looking crazy down to a science. That might have helped.

Seriously, lots of folks like to "tsk, tsk" when it comes to the state of children these days, and blame it on the lack of corporal punishment, but the truth is parents are less respectful, more rude and so are their children. That's what needs to change. Not spanking or paddling. That has been shown not to work. It's funny because where I grew up in the northeast there hasn't been paddling in at least 70 years yet there is far less crime than in areas that have it.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:55 AM

7,560 posts, read 17,309,368 times
I was never paddled and turned out fine, too, hik. I see lots of kids in school that have many problems, but I don't think paddling is gonna fix that.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 AM

36,817 posts, read 31,098,258 times
Quote:
My kids, aged 12 to 31, received time outs and nothing more. All have turned out to not only not be serial killers but fine, productive members of society. I know many a child that was conditioned with a switch, belt, paddling or spanking and turned out to have more problems than Carter had liver pills. Of course I also had the fine art of looking crazy down to a science. That might have helped.
Quote:
Seriously, lots of folks like to "tsk, tsk" when it comes to the state of children these days, and blame it on the lack of corporal punishment, but the truth is parents are less respectful, more rude and so are their children. That's what needs to change. Not spanking or paddling. That has been shown not to work. It's funny because where I grew up in the northeast there hasn't been paddling in at least 70 years yet there is far less crime than in areas that have it.
I agree to a point. I was never paddled at home or school and I rarely had to discipline my kids, but raising a couple of your own and being responsible for and in control of a room of 30 students is another story.

One of my kids got in trouble once. I got a note on Friday afternoon informing me he would have to go to another school that Monday 20 miles away for 2 weeks for punishment. That there was no lunch or transportation provided. I didn’t even know where this place was. Of course I was at the school Monday morning. Over the weekend I found out what happened (flipping paper clips) and that two neighbors were involved as well and they didn’t receive any punishment. I begged the school to just paddle my kid. But the three boys ended up spending 2 weeks at the “quack shack” doing busy work and causing aggravation on us parents. It was just a vacation to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee