Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 07:09 AM

33 posts, read 104,799 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! We are looking into purchasing a condo in the Walker Whitney Plaza. Does anyone live there now or have any input on the area? We used to live in Cape Coral for 5 years and moved to Jacksonville a year ago. We really miss the gulf coast, boating, fishing, weather,etc. Jacksonville really doesn't offer the same as SW Florida. We'd have to adjust to condo living but I'd like to get some input on the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:47 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
Well, you'd be very close to Downtown St. Pete, the waterfront, and all of the associated cultural and social events down there, of which there are lots.

You would probably be considered as living in Downtown St. Pete, but you'd be close to the Old Northeast and Round Lake neighborhoods. These are both 1920s neighborhoods--originally suburbs to some degree--that have been inside the city for decades. Old NE has lots of bungalows and families while Round Lake (or is it Mirror Lake? I get the two confused) still is recovering. The main street to the west is 4th Street North, which still has a few sleazy motels and stores, but nowhere near as many as in, say, 1999.

It's not a high crime area, but crime does happen. It seems to be mostly car burgularies or theft, but since you'll be in a tower, you won't have to worry about it as much. Still, if you go out for a walk after 11, keep your eyes peeled and don't wear or do anything that would show that you have money/you'd be a good victim.

While I know nothing about the Walker Whitney itself, it looks like a nice building and the neighborhood is certainly very hip.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:47 PM

428 posts, read 1,472,528 times
As echoed in the above posts, you are within walking distance to downtown, and a short drive from the donwtown Publix, or the NE Publix for larger trip. THe 4th street corridor has really improved over the past 8-10 years as well as ll the amenties of downtown.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the couple posts. I'm relatively unfamiliar with Tampa/St. Pete. Been through a few times visiting and for work but want to see if it is somewhere I'd want to live for a few years and then buy a house down the road. We'd actually be doing a swap from a house in Jacksonville and would live in the condo either until we rented it out in a couple years or values recovered and we could sell. Does anyone have info on condo values in St. Pete/Tampa in general or for this particular condo? I've looked up some info on zillow.com and saw a few units for sale.

Is there much to do within walking distance? The proximity to the water and boat docks is a plus. Since we have a 1 year old I am concerned about safety but in all reality wouldn't be living there more than 3-4 years.

We are going to head down this weekend to take a look at the area. We're willing to compromise to move back to the Gulf but don't want to make a big mistake! I'll have to browse some more of the forums but any additional insight is welcome!

Thanks again!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:48 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
You'd be in one of the most walkable areas in the Bay Area. Like I mentioned before, there's the waterfront, the Pier, and all of those associated parks, but you also have tons of restaurants, a movie theater, and a Publix that you can walk to. There's a downtown circulator trolleybus that you could use. I know that would take you to Publix if that was too far to walk.

I'm not sure what schools are zoned to Downtown St. Pete, but since you say you won't be living there for more than a year or two, I guess that really isn't an issue.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:13 AM

Sounds pretty convenient, can't wait to check out the area. I'll probably check out the schools in case we'd decide to stay longer but don't think it would be likely.

Thanks for the input!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:49 AM

4 posts, read 10,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzejb View Post
Hi everyone! We are looking into purchasing a condo in the Walker Whitney Plaza. Does anyone live there now or have any input on the area? We used to live in Cape Coral for 5 years and moved to Jacksonville a year ago. We really miss the gulf coast, boating, fishing, weather,etc. Jacksonville really doesn't offer the same as SW Florida. We'd have to adjust to condo living but I'd like to get some input on the area.

Thanks!
Hi there,

My husband and I lived in the Walker Whitney Plaza building for almost 2 years and we loved it! I know that the entire building is having a 1-day sale on August 21, 2010 on units. Let me know if you want pricing information, or any other information on the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay